• Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  52
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

a verse for encouragement I found recently:

Psalms 57:2 (NASB)
I will cry to God Most High,
To God who accomplishes all things for me.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.10
  • Days Won:  78

I am limited in how many hours I can hold up on a job, as well as many jobs I am willing to do end up requiring heavy lifting.  I have many, great office skills but those jobs are not opening up to me, not even an interview.

Are any of you struggling with being older, and having been out of work for some time (about 4 years for me) and I am 61 so I am too young to collect my SS.  I am facing possible homeless-ness and just wonder why God hasn't answered my need for an income.  I mean, I know His ways are higher, and I have not lost my faith in Him.  Guess I just hoped to hear some success stories (job wise) and maybe how you got through your rough time, what God did for you.  Or maybe you are in my spot and we can sort of encourage each other, thanks and God bless:)

I just saw your thread a few minutes ago and I have to share the story of an older friend of mine.  We used to work together and have stayed in touch; we do lunch, that kind of thing.  Well she was laid off in 2008 and didn't find a new job 'til December 2011!  She is a strong believer though and never lost faith that the Lord would bring her through.  She was hired by a major oilfield company at 62 years of age and is very happy in her new company.  Please don't give up believing in Him; He will bring you through anything if you just lay it at the foot of the cross and trust Him.

I wil pray for the Lord to help you quickly, sister.

Oh wow, this was so encouraging, thank you for sharing it, no, I won't give up:)  God bless you, and when you talk to your friend, tell her how much I needed to hear about how God was faithful to her:) denise, your sister in Christ

I'm so glad you were encouraged by her story, Denise.  Sorry it took so long to respond....I have little time these days.  Have things improved yet?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,134
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

I don't know that I can help you with the aging thing other than to say that recently my brother and sister and I discussed birthdays...  I'll be 67 soon and they are three and six years older than I...    we decided that birthdays are a good thing to have these days.

As for the job hunt, same advice I have given to many over the years.....   go to a good employment agency and get them to find you the best job that you're capable of doing.   I do know that most of the better jobs these days you can't get on your own.  Companies don't have the manpower to sort through all the people that would apply for a good job so they ask these agencies to send them only the people who they pre-screen that could do the job......    and many of the best jobs are never advertised at all.

A lot of companies are actually looking for older people for they tend to make more dedicated employees (show up for work more often).   

Another problem is that Oregon's unemployment rate is above the national average where ours is way below.....   so you might consider moving to Oklahoma....    Cost of living is much lower here from what I read also.

consider yourself prayed for also

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

I don't know that I can help you with the aging thing other than to say that recently my brother and sister and I discussed birthdays...  I'll be 67 soon and they are three and six years older than I...    we decided that birthdays are a good thing to have these days.

As for the job hunt, same advice I have given to many over the years.....   go to a good employment agency and get them to find you the best job that you're capable of doing.   I do know that most of the better jobs these days you can't get on your own.  Companies don't have the manpower to sort through all the people that would apply for a good job so they ask these agencies to send them only the people who they pre-screen that could do the job......    and many of the best jobs are never advertised at all.

A lot of companies are actually looking for older people for they tend to make more dedicated employees (show up for work more often).   

Another problem is that Oregon's unemployment rate is above the national average where ours is way below.....   so you might consider moving to Oklahoma....    Cost of living is much lower here from what I read also.

consider yourself prayed for also

You would think that companies would look for older people because they usually would be more dependable but that is not the case.It is very,very difficult to find a job now when you are in your 50's or older.I do not know about employment agencies.

You would think that companies would look for older people because they usually would be more dependable but that is not the case.It is very,very difficult to find a job now when you are in your 50's or older.I do not know about employment agencies.

I think it can be said there is a mind set among some of the younger (not all) recruiters and HR types that feel older folks are a potential threat to their jobs because of more life experience, industry experience, and education. Some of it is straight up age discrimination, but that's really hard to prove in court. Sometimes you can sense it in the interview though . . . they see the gray and you are consigned to the dumpster before the interview even really starts. I've had that happen.

On Employment Agencies: This is going to depend on the industry you are in, but be careful here. Some agencies only do "temp to hire" (also known as temp-to-fire) for high turnover companies that treat folks like throw aways. Call Center outfits are a good example of this especially in the sales area. Tech Support and Customer Service tend to be the same way depending on the company -- but many of these jobs have been outsourced to India. Being a temp means some outfits can use and abuse you for up to 6 months in my area before they have to start paying benefits & workman's comp -- so they let you go at Day 179 out of 180 to avoid that. Obamacare is encouraging this kind of thing now also.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  77
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  11/29/1987

Keep the faith =) Something will come your way! Rejoice and praise Him always!

Keep It Real!

God Bless,

more2life

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  67
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  885
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Birthday:  05/23/1986

I understand that it is hard for an older person to find a job...but it isn't a picnic for younger people either!  I was out of work for 8 months after I moved back home, if it wasn't for the fact that I ended my last job on good terms and they were willing to take me back that I am employed again.  Not that I particularly wanted to be in the job but I prayed and, I don't know, it kind of feels like maybe I didn't get another job because I was meant to be back where I am.  Not necessarily for the job, but maybe because the job put me in a place I need to be, for whatever reason.  Or maybe it's just a job.  Who knows.  My point is, I sympathise but don't think for a moment that if you were 20 or 30 years younger, you'd be able to stroll into a job.  Everyone is struggling these days!  Every job has so many applicants, it really is an employer's market.  They can afford to be fussy because they know there are always plenty of people applying for every job.  Even a simple - dull - data entry job will have over 70 applicants.

As for employment agencies...I hope they are better in the US than they are over here because, with the exception of one or two, they seem to want to do as little as possible!

As wit all things, the key is persistence.  It isn't impossible to get a job if you are older - my mum was made redundant a long with a number of her colleagues, all around the same age, and they have all found work.  Keep praying, the Lord will provide.

• 4 weeks later...

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,134
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Can't let Red end a thread.