missmuffet

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.78
  • Days Won:  226

Why is God going to give us a white stone with a new name? Revelation 2:17 “He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes I will give some of the hidden manna to eat. And I will give him a white stone, and on the stone a new name written which no one knows except him who receives it.

Guest AFlameOfFire

Ever notice the word "stone" there?

Its in three places (two of which are in that same verse) Rev 2:17

Used also for voice in Acts 26:10 in Paul

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  236
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  05/29/1971

From Matthew Henry Study Bible-

The white stone, with a new name engraven upon it. This white stone is absolution from the guilt of sin, alluding to the ancient custom of giving a white stone to those acquitted on trial and a black stone to those condemned. The new name is the name of adoption: adopted persons took the name of the family into which they were adopted. None can read the evidence of a man’s adoption but himself; he cannot always read it, but if he persevere he shall have both the evidence of sonship and the inheritance.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,385
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  5

Wow this question gave me chills, a good feeling kind of chills...  I had a dream a few years ago of the end of the world and the judgment of humanity. There was a huge line of people waiting to be judged accordingly. They were each given 4 white stones, and had to place these stones on top of a moving device which took these stones through different phases which represented the life they had led. As the stones would pass through certain tests, such as purity, faith etc, they would change colors according to the level of purity they each had.

In order to be able to past the test and to be given eternal life, the end result of the stones had to be white. The ones who passed went on some type of escalator going up until they disappeared in the light, and the ones who didn't pass were heading downwards. I saw my mom and sister passing the test and heading up to heaven. I had trouble with passing my own personal test but was given a second chance...

The interpretation I received from these stones were that they represented love, faith, purity and a good heart. All four representing one purity of the spirit.

Not sure if that has to do with what it states in scriptures but wanted to share anyways...

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.78
  • Days Won:  226

Wow this question gave me chills, a good feeling kind of chills...  I had a dream a few years ago of the end of the world and the judgment of humanity. There was a huge line of people waiting to be judged accordingly. They were each given 4 white stones, and had to place these stones on top of a moving device which took these stones through different phases which represented the life they had led. As the stones would pass through certain tests, such as purity, faith etc, they would change colors according to the level of purity they each had.

In order to be able to past the test and to be given eternal life, the end result of the stones had to be white. The ones who passed went on some type of escalator going up until they disappeared in the light, and the ones who didn't pass were heading downwards. I saw my mom and sister passing the test and heading up to heaven. I had trouble with passing my own personal test but was given a second chance...

The interpretation I received from these stones were that they represented love, faith, purity and a good heart. All four representing one purity of the spirit.

Not sure if that has to do with what it states in scriptures but wanted to share anyways...

Whoa!! interesting dream  :o

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Days Won:  0

From Matthew Henry Study Bible-

The white stone, with a new name engraven upon it. This white stone is absolution from the guilt of sin, alluding to the ancient custom of giving a white stone to those acquitted on trial and a black stone to those condemned. The new name is the name of adoption: adopted persons took the name of the family into which they were adopted. None can read the evidence of a man’s adoption but himself; he cannot always read it, but if he persevere he shall have both the evidence of sonship and the inheritance.

Awesome reply

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,143
  • Content Per Day:  4.62
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Everyone

To be quite honest ,as many times as I must have read about the white stone I really have never considered it much.......these things are so Heavenly they seem to be beyond comparison.....I do like Wills reply.sharing with us the interpretation from the Mathew Henry study Bible ..........very good understanding of ancient customs......this is an interesting topic,,

With love in Christ-Kwik

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  327
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  2

Why is God going to give us a white stone with a new name? Revelation 2:17 “He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes I will give some of the hidden manna to eat. And I will give him a white stone, and on the stone a new name written which no one knows except him who receives it.

Great question. I think I'm going to research this and get back later on this.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  12
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

I love this question! The book of Revelation is a fascinating book, is it not?

The first couple of chapters have a few spots where it has the same language, "He that overcometh". Here is a list of them in order of the text just for convenience.

• "To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God." (Rev. 2:7)
  • "He that overcometh shall not be hurt of the second death." (Rev. 2:11)
  • "He that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it." (Rev. 2:17)
  • "He that overcometh, and keepth my works unto the end, to him will I give power over the nations; And he shall rule them with a rod of iron; as the vessels of a potter shall they be broken to shivers: even as I received of my Father. And I will give him the morning star." (Rev. 2:25-28)
  • "He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels." (Rev. 3:5-6)
  • "Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out; and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God; and I will write up on him my new name." (Rev. 3:12)
  • "To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne." (Rev. 3:21)

There are some pretty cool things here, such as eating of the tree of life (receiving eternal life), not being hurt by the second death, receiving white clothing, being in the book of life, no more leaving the presence of God. But there are some obscure things, like receiving the morning star, receiving a white stone and a new name, ruling over nations, etc..

But to answer the question at hand, what is a white stone with a new name, we kind of get a hint in Revelation 3:12 where the name of God will be written upon the person and the name of the city of God would be written there. This could be the name given, meaning that we belong with those beings that live there. Also, keep in mind that in ancient times prophets would use seer stones, or stones that they could look into to communicate with God, or to see revelations and prophecy. Aaron used stones called Urim and Thummim to see how to judge the people of Israel correctly. Perhaps when we overcome and live with God, these stones are used for the purpose of seeing all things and knowing all things?