• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I really need to stop trying to hold a discussion with a Dalek.

Which of us are insulting by referring to us as a Dalek (yes, I know what that is)?

No one. It's good not to take oneself too seriously sometimes.

• Group:  Seeker
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,033
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  2

Interesting thread, I am confused by part of it.  YEC claims the earth is 6000 years old based on the bible and then they admit that the earth existed prior to the start of creation (which seems like an oxymoron, something was created before it was created) and they do not know how long it existed prior to the start of creation which I guess in the YEC model is verse 3 of Genesis 1.   So a simple question, did the earth exist prior to verse 3 of Genesis 1?

You're confused because YEC doesn't address what was or wasnt in existence in Gen. 1:2.  That is not part of the YEC model.   Your confused because you are assigning something to us that we didn't say.

The YEC model says the earth is 6000 years old by counting from Genesis 1:3 forward.  That is like saying me saying you are only 2 months old based off when I first encountered you.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,695
  • Content Per Day:  0.45
  • Birthday:  04/11/1968

Interesting thread, I am confused by part of it.  YEC claims the earth is 6000 years old based on the bible and then they admit that the earth existed prior to the start of creation (which seems like an oxymoron, something was created before it was created) and they do not know how long it existed prior to the start of creation which I guess in the YEC model is verse 3 of Genesis 1.   So a simple question, did the earth exist prior to verse 3 of Genesis 1?

I hope you not referring to me? I'm not a YEC. I believe in a recent creation of biological life-forms, I believe the earth is a little older, of unknown age.

You're confused because YEC doesn't address what was or wasnt in existence in Gen. 1:2.  That is not part of the YEC model.   Your confused because you are assigning something to us that we didn't say.

YEC should address Genesis 1:2 because the verse itself indicates an unknown age of the land, and YECs are trying to use the bible to claim that the earth has to be young. It simply does not have to be young from a biblical perspective.  I prefer "creationist", maybe they should introduce a term young biology creationist (YBC?) for those who believe in a young creation yet correctly read Genesis 1:2 as well. 

Guest shiloh357

YEC should address Genesis 1:2 because the verse itself indicates an unknown age of the land, and YECs are trying to use the bible to claim that the earth has to be young. It simply does not have to be young from a biblical perspective.  I prefer "creationist", maybe they should introduce a term young biology creationist (YBC?) for those who believe in a young creation yet correctly read Genesis 1:2 as well. 

YEC = Young Earth CREATION   I empphasied that word because YEC is a creation model.   The OEC and YEC models, are about the age of the earth relative to the week of creation.

I would point out to you as I pointed out to Nebula that the OEC also does not address the issue that you raise about Ge. 1:2.    Neither model is equipped to address this question.   I have checked and so far, I have not found any mainstream OEC claims raised about how long the conditions of Gen.1:2 existed prior to day 1.   None of them raise the issue because it is not a creationist issue.

When serious, maintsream OEC proponents raise the issue, then it might be worth addressing.  Until then, there is no reason to waste time and bandwidth speculating over something that cannnot be known or waste time answering questions that can't be answered.

Guest shiloh357

The YEC model says the earth is 6000 years old by counting from Genesis 1:3 forward.  That is like saying me saying you are only 2 months old based off when I first encountered you.

No, it's not like that at all.  

YEC = Young Earth CREATION   I empphasied that word because YEC is a creation model.   The OEC and YEC models, are about the age of the earth relative to the week of creation.

I would point out to you as I pointed out to Nebula that the OEC also does not address the issue that you raise about Ge. 1:2.    Neither model is equipped to address this question.   I have checked and so far, I have not found any mainstream OEC claims raised about how long the conditions of Gen.1:2 existed prior to day 1.   None of them raise the issue because it is not a creationist issue.

When serious, maintsream OEC proponents raise the issue, then it might be worth addressing.  Until then, there is no reason to waste time and bandwidth speculating over something that cannnot be known or waste time answering questions that can't be answered.

I prefer to take the bible as the serious mainstream proponent of any views. That is why I am open to an older earth, but maintain 6 literal days of creation. Oh well, I hardly ever come across people who care about what the bible says, if I did come across such a website everyone would be kind and civil to eachother, knowing we are all brothers in Christ. It saddens me.

Guest shiloh357
I prefer to take the bible as the serious mainstream proponent of any views.

And the Bible doesn't propose an old earth.  You cannot get an old earth from the Scriptures.  You are actually relying on baseless assumptions about the Bible, not the Bible, itself.

That is why I am open to an older earth, but maintain 6 literal days of creation.

You are trying fit square pegs into round holes.

Oh well, I hardly ever come across people who care about what the bible says, if I did come across such a website everyone would be kind and civil to eachother, knowing we are all brothers in Christ. It saddens me.

Well, your view isn't based on what the Bible says, either. 

And the Bible doesn't propose an old earth.  You cannot get an old earth from the Scriptures.  You are actually relying on baseless assumptions about the Bible, not the Bible, itself.

That is why I am open to an older earth, but maintain 6 literal days of creation.

Oh well, I hardly ever come across people who care about what the bible says, if I did come across such a website everyone would be kind and civil to eachother, knowing we are all brothers in Christ. It saddens me.

:) beg to differ,  but let's not repeat old arguments. As long as you are happy with your view and kind to those who are happy with their views, then that's ok.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

This has gone slightly beyond the realms of debate and discussion and has wondered off into sniping territory.

Is there much more to say on this thread that might edify?