IGNORED

Do we need two baptisms?

Brian_Michael

Infant baptism is a decision made by the parents.  It is more of a dedication of the child.  After a person becomes a Christian, the Bible teaches us that we are to be baptized of our own free will as an outward sign of the new birth that already took place.  Water baptism doesn't save anyone.  It is an act of obedience, and an open confession to everyone that we have accepted Jesus.  I have no problem with infant baptism, but it can't take the place of making our own choice. 

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  32
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/28/1985

Does that mean, that even though I was baptised as an infant, I do not come home to God when I die, unless I'm getting a baptism as an adult?

The thief next to Jesus on the cross could not be baptized. He simply believed and asked Jesus to remember him when He came into His kingdom. Jesus answered "Today you will be with Me in Paradise" Baptism is not necessary at all unless God has put it on your heart to obey Him in this way. Paul only baptized one or two people. But he preached to the gentiles and many believed and were saved through His preaching and teaching.

Jesus said that if your confess Him before men, He will confess you before His Father in heaven. So it is necessary that you confess your faith in Christ before others. If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. Romans 10:9 If He is Lord of your life you desire to obey Him whether it be to confess Him or to be baptized. Believe means to trust in, adhere to and rely upon. It is not a passive word. Saving faith is an active faith.

If you are asking this question God may be putting this step on your heart. It helps us to realize that God has buried the old sinful man and given you a new life when we go under water and come up. (Baptize means to dip to dye clothing.). Sinless Jesus was baptized as an example to us, endorsing that repentance is necessary to wash away our sins. Repentance is turning away from our sinful lifestyles and to Christ in faith, asking for mercy and help because we are unable to change ouselves in our own strength. A baby cannot repent.

Ritual churches believe that the Holy Spirit comes into the baby when they are touched with blessed water and the word of God is spoken over them. Their excuse is that John the Baptist was filled with the Spirit in his mother's womb. However, we are not John the Baptist. In fact, he was the one who came preaching repentance and baptism. They also claim that whole households were baptized and that included babies. But there is no mention of any babies or young children living in those households. They are reading into it something that is not clearly stated in scripture.

The important thing is that you obey whatever Christ is leading you to do. The first thing God led me to do was to repent, ask God to forgive me, receive that forgiveness because Jesus loves me, and to try to make restitution. Then God put it upon my heart to read the New Testament and psalms. A pastor one said that the first thing he had obeyed God in, when he was 6, was to pick up his clothes and clean his room. His mom had always kept after him to do that but this time he did it without being asked by her. He was asked by God. So it is different with everybody. But all do have to repent, trust in Jesus, and obey His promptings or voice so as to make Him Lord of our lives.

Blessings,

Willa

Baptism is the commandment from Jesus Christ Himself (Mark 16:15-16; Matthew 28:19). It was implemented by the apostles on the day of Pentecost, those who believed were commanded to repent and be baptized for the remission of their sins (Acts 2:38). Everybody who believed the gospel were baptized including Paul (Acts 8:36-39; Acts 18:8-9; Acts 10:48; Acts 19:1-7; Acts 22:16), all these tell us that baptism is very important because the apostles taught and preached it as they were led by the Holy Spirit. The thief on the cross died before Christianity and Jesus Christ whilst on earth had the power to forgive sins (Mark 2:10) so the thief on the cross was not a Christian because Christianity started on the day of Pentecost. Thanks and may God bless you

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,242
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

Willa,

most of what you said there was fine, but it is not at all accurate to say that "Paul only baptized one or two people". Check Acts 16:15, 16:33, and 19:5. You are probably thinking of Paul's statement to the Corinthians that he was glad he did not baptize but a few of them. The context was division in the church because they were following men improperly. Paul was not flippant about baptizing people, and while water baptism does not save a person, it is overstating things to make it seem that Paul, the greatest missionary of the first century, did not water baptize those he brought to Christ. Please be careful with the scriptures!!

Thank you, I stand corrected. Paul did baptize Lydia and her household, the jailor and his household, and a room full of people.

1 Corintians 1:14-17 I thank God that I baptized none of you except Crispus and Gaius, lest anyone should say that I had baptized in my own name. Yes, I also baptized the household of Stephanas. Besides, I do no know whether I baptized any other. FOR CHRIST DID NOT SEND ME TO BAPTIZE, BUT TO PREACH THE GOSPEL, not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of no effect. NKJV

I certainly did not intend to over state this and I was thinking of the above passage. The point was that he stated that Christ did not send him to baptize but to preach the gospel. He did not even limit this statement to the Corinthian church. To me this would indicate that he did not place as much emphasis on baptism as many churches do today. As you said, it is the gospel that saves, not baptism. On the other hand, the passage does not say that he baptized all that he brought to Christ as some might assume, especially not in the Corinthian church which I understand he established.

Thank you for taking time to correct me. I really should quote the verses I am thinking of more than I do. lol I might even end up talking like Fresno Joe. The word of God is much more powerful than anything I have to say.

I do apologize.

Willa

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

Why two?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

Does that mean, that even though I was baptised as an infant, I do not come home to God when I die, unless I'm getting a baptism as an adult?

Why would you not be presentable in heaven if you had an infant baptism?I do not agree with some religions that think an infant will not get into heaven without being baptized.If parents want to dedicate their child when they are older that is ok too.

• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

We were filled with Holy Spirit when we are saved, then we follow Jesus in water baptism.  Tongues have nothing to do with our salvation.  So no we do not have to have two baptism.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  158
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  3

The thief next to Jesus on the cross could not be baptized. He simply believed and asked Jesus to remember him when He came into His kingdom. Jesus answered "Today you will be with Me in Paradise" Baptism is not necessary at all unless God has put it on your heart to obey Him in this way. Paul only baptized one or two people. But he preached to the gentiles and many believed and were saved through His preaching and teaching.

Jesus said that if your confess Him before men, He will confess you before His Father in heaven. So it is necessary that you confess your faith in Christ before others. If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. Romans 10:9 If He is Lord of your life you desire to obey Him whether it be to confess Him or to be baptized. Believe means to trust in, adhere to and rely upon. It is not a passive word. Saving faith is an active faith.

If you are asking this question God may be putting this step on your heart. It helps us to realize that God has buried the old sinful man and given you a new life when we go under water and come up. (Baptize means to dip to dye clothing.). Sinless Jesus was baptized as an example to us, endorsing that repentance is necessary to wash away our sins. Repentance is turning away from our sinful lifestyles and to Christ in faith, asking for mercy and help because we are unable to change ouselves in our own strength. A baby cannot repent.

Ritual churches believe that the Holy Spirit comes into the baby when they are touched with blessed water and the word of God is spoken over them. Their excuse is that John the Baptist was filled with the Spirit in his mother's womb. However, we are not John the Baptist. In fact, he was the one who came preaching repentance and baptism. They also claim that whole households were baptized and that included babies. But there is no mention of any babies or young children living in those households. They are reading into it something that is not clearly stated in scripture.

The important thing is that you obey whatever Christ is leading you to do. The first thing God led me to do was to repent, ask God to forgive me, receive that forgiveness because Jesus loves me, and to try to make restitution. Then God put it upon my heart to read the New Testament and psalms. A pastor one said that the first thing he had obeyed God in, when he was 6, was to pick up his clothes and clean his room. His mom had always kept after him to do that but this time he did it without being asked by her. He was asked by God. So it is different with everybody. But all do have to repent, trust in Jesus, and obey His promptings or voice so as to make Him Lord of our lives.

Blessings,

Willa

Baptism is the commandment from Jesus Christ Himself (Mark 16:15-16; Matthew 28:19). It was implemented by the apostles on the day of Pentecost, those who believed were commanded to repent and be baptized for the remission of their sins (Acts 2:38). Everybody who believed the gospel were baptized including Paul (Acts 8:36-39; Acts 18:8-9; Acts 10:48; Acts 19:1-7; Acts 22:16), all these tell us that baptism is very important because the apostles taught and preached it as they were led by the Holy Spirit. The thief on the cross died before Christianity and Jesus Christ whilst on earth had the power to forgive sins (Mark 2:10) so the thief on the cross was not a Christian because Christianity started on the day of Pentecost. Thanks and may God bless you

Eben,

This is good and correct. thank you for the post. Too much human opinion without proper scriptural backing muddies the waters (no pun intended!!)

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,242
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

The thief next to Jesus on the cross could not be baptized. He simply believed and asked Jesus to remember him when He came into His kingdom. Jesus answered "Today you will be with Me in Paradise" Baptism is not necessary at all unless God has put it on your heart to obey Him in this way. Paul baptized only one or two dozen people. But he preached to the gentiles and many believed and were saved through His preaching and teaching. 1 Cor. 1:17 For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the Gospel,--

Jesus said that if your confess Him before men, He will confess you before His Father in heaven. Matt. 10:32 So it is important that you confess your faith in Christ before others. If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. Romans 10:9 If He is Lord of your life you desire to obey Him and baptism also constitutes a public confession. Believe means to trust in, adhere to and rely upon. It is not a passive word. Saving faith produces works like confessing your faith and being baptized, reading the Bible, ceasing from sin, attending church or Bible studies. But works do not save you.

If you are asking this question God may be putting this step of obedience on your heart. It helps us to realize that God has buried the old sinful man and given you a new life when we go under water and come up. Col. 2:12, Rom. 6:3-4 (Baptize means to dip to dye clothing.). Sinless Jesus was baptized as an example to us, endorsing a baptism of REPENTANCE for the remission of sin. Mark 1:4 . Repentance is an ATTITUDE of turning away from our sinful lifestyles and to Christ in faith, asking for mercy and help because we are unable to change ouselves in our own strength. A baby cannot repent. Matt. 3:11, Mark 1:4 2Cor 7:10 for godly sorrow produce repentance to salvation.

The important thing is that you obey whatever Christ is leading you to do. The first thing God led me to do was to tell my friends that I had asked God to forgive me and then to try to make restitution. Then God put it upon my heart to read the New Testament and psalms. We are saved when God's grace grants us repentance and faith, which are gifts of God and are not works. But we respond by obeying His promptings or voice so as to make Him Lord of our lives. These works may include confessing Him before men, baptism, restitution, reading the Bible. I was baptized by immersion when I was 15. I repented and was saved, trusting in Christ's loving mercy, when I was 13.

Blessings,

Willa

Eben,

This is good and correct. thank you for the post. Too much human opinion without proper scriptural backing muddies the waters (no pun intended!!)

My above post was scriptural and was not just my opinion. So I have gone back and added the scriptures for you. However, it is my opinion that those who come to repentance and faith in Christ during the last months of their lives, and who are unable to be baptized, will be saved. For by grace you are saved through faith, and that not of yourselves it is a gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast. Ephesians 2:8 Baptism constitues a work and does not save us. It is one of many acts of obedience. I have a friend who very much desired to be baptized by immersion, but could not because of a colostomy bag. She is saved and with the Lord..My opinion. Nor do I believe that all the people in churches that baptize infants will go to hell unless they are rebaptized. My opinion. However I have watched a friend at a camp meeting squirm as baptism by immersion was preached. He had been refusing to do so because he had been sprinkled as a baby. As a result of his stubborness he had backslid and stopped going to church. A few months later he obeyed and was baptized. He become a regional director of Gideons and has served God sInce then. Stubborn refusal to obey God's voice can cause backsliding and may even mean you were not truly saved.. My opinion.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  158
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  3

Willa, 

I did not mean to be confusing. In saying there was too much opinion coming in, I was not trying to zero in on your post, but to point out something I was reading in many other posts.Where too much opinion is coming in is in the sense of lessening the importance of baptism by continuously trying to find exceptions to doing it. Exceptions may go to help show that it is not essential for regeneration, but it it no way changes the facts that Eben stated in his post. Water baptism is not integral to salvation, but a result of it, a clear step of obedience. It is clearly a COMMAND of Christ himself, then COMMANDED by Peter in Acts, then practiced consistently in Acts as a whole, and it is clearly supported in the letters, as well as explained in its symbolism and typology. It just doesn't get any stronger than this, as far as something being an expected Christian practice! Just because something is not integral to salvation does not mean it is not commanded by God as a part of the Faith! Communion, worship, covenant marriage, church fellowship, and many other things are part of the Christian faith and non-negotiable as far as practicing them (marriage in the sense of if you choose partnership, not that everyone must be married! I mean marriage as an institution). God is loving and just and there are always reasonable exceptions, when a person simply cannot comply. However,  it is not acceptable to be in stubborn rebellion, refusing to do it because in their own mind they do not "have to" just because it cannot be proven to be essential for salvation. I actually believe that you agree with me in principle, as your posts have shown you to honor the scriptures and reverence the Lord, I just want to clarify things a bit. To be succinct, I do not believe one needs a specific "leading" to obey something that is as clearly commanded and practiced as baptism. When someone who claims to have been born again of the Spirit of God refuses or questions baptism after reading the scriptures, it makes me wonder why in the world they would not, instead, greatly desire baptism! Anyone who is of the truth should be knocking people over to get to some water and get baptized, not timidly questioning if they "have to do it". Baptism is a "get to" not a "got to" do it thing!!! I appreciate your story illustrating this point. 

I suppose, as the father of many children, I have seen very many times that when a child starts digging for exceptions to a rule or principle, it usually indicates a heart that is not really submissive and obedient. Sometimes we must discuss exceptions for the sake of accuracy or completeness of understanding. But when we speak so much of it that exceptions are sounding more like the rule of thumb, or that we can do it or not according to our preference or our feeling about it when the subject at hand is the clear command of Jesus, it makes me uncomfortable. I think it quite dangerous to seek acceptable means to not obey Jesus and the scriptures.....that's my opinion.