IGNORED

To cover or not to cover ?

Izzel

Head covering   

17 members have voted

1. 1. Should Christian women cover their heads ?

• YES
    • NO
    • OTHER

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  370
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0

nowadays I am sure it's not the hair God is most concerned when it comes to covering. I sort of wonder why the hair grows at all if it were supposed to be short? Is it a trick to push the men to correct the Eden mistake? Like, if the hair were meant to be short, and we just must figure it out.

So considering the flow of Creation, the hair grows=it is meant to be that way (long? but how long?)

Do bald women go to hell or don't they just get the spirit of prophecy on them?

I know my God is the Righteous God, but I don't know if those are the qualifications, especially since prophecy is not self-caused. What about women suffering from cancer and the kemo (if the prayers just have not helped so far)? Are they absolutely on the black list as for the prophecy? Just one instance. It is not that I would be making fun of the scripture, but practically its strict application would lead into situations like this. Or then I am just missing something essential. Wouldn't be the first time, though. 

Everything you have mentioned has been addressed repeatedly in this thread.  This is not a sin issue, but it says what it says.  We are supposed to pray always, so it is kind of impractical to decide to have one's head uncovered all day and on the spur of the moment when we need to talk to God, suddenly cover it. 

There is nobody in here that claims anyone goes to hell over hair length.  As for getting the "spirit of prophecy on them," only God can answer that.  Again, I didn't write the Bible.  I just believe it.  When it says something, I don't try to figure out why it won't work for this person of that person.  I try to follow it.  In this one instance, people are given the freedom to be contentious and ignore it, but I do believe it will effect their spiritual life. 

who can keep up with these aeon long debates anyway? I am just coming in, see the dust in the air, throw my last two cents in like the old lady in Luke 20 and draw back. Not the most glorious strategy but that's all I have :)

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  649
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  3

nowadays I am sure it's not the hair God is most concerned when it comes to covering. I sort of wonder why the hair grows at all if it were supposed to be short? Is it a trick to push the men to correct the Eden mistake? Like, if the hair were meant to be short, and we just must figure it out.

So considering the flow of Creation, the hair grows=it is meant to be that way (long? but how long?)

Do bald women go to hell or don't they just get the spirit of prophecy on them?

I know my God is the Righteous God, but I don't know if those are the qualifications, especially since prophecy is not self-caused. What about women suffering from cancer and the kemo (if the prayers just have not helped so far)? Are they absolutely on the black list as for the prophecy? Just one instance. It is not that I would be making fun of the scripture, but practically its strict application would lead into situations like this. Or then I am just missing something essential. Wouldn't be the first time, though. 

Everything you have mentioned has been addressed repeatedly in this thread.  This is not a sin issue, but it says what it says.  We are supposed to pray always, so it is kind of impractical to decide to have one's head uncovered all day and on the spur of the moment when we need to talk to God, suddenly cover it. 

There is nobody in here that claims anyone goes to hell over hair length.  As for getting the "spirit of prophecy on them," only God can answer that.  Again, I didn't write the Bible.  I just believe it.  When it says something, I don't try to figure out why it won't work for this person of that person.  I try to follow it.  In this one instance, people are given the freedom to be contentious and ignore it, but I do believe it will effect their spiritual life. 

who can keep up with these aeon long debates anyway? I am just coming in, see the dust in the air, throw my last two cents in like the old lady in Luke 20 and draw back. Not the most glorious strategy but that's all I have :)

"nowadays I am sure it's not the hair God is most concerned when it comes to covering."

Now that is a clever observation!  Many women don't seem to be concerned about covering much!

Now as to bald women going way south,

Of course, along with all the rest of them!

There they all beez, shoveling coal.

LOL

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,859
  • Content Per Day:  8.05
  • Days Won:  77
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

"Every single post is wrestling within the boundaries of Rom 7:7- 8all ... this treatise

alone close to the end of Paul's Life defines every answer to this topic of long, short, kneel, stand etc..."

Wrestling in the boundaries?  Like a cage? no as in a narrow path lit only by His Word

"close to the end of Paul's Life"

I guess 10 years would be close.

But after Romans comes the jail in Caesaria, the house arrest in Rome, probable release & unrecorded missionary journeys (1 Tim, Titus), followed by arrest again & prison in Rome, from where we have Paul's swan song, 2 Timothy.

"Every single post is wrestling within the boundaries of Rom 7:7- 8all ... this treatise

alone close to the end of Paul's Life defines every answer to this topic of long, short, kneel, stand etc..."

Wrestling in the boundaries?  Like a cage? no as in a narrow path lit only by His Word

"close to the end of Paul's Life"

I guess 10 years would be close.

But after Romans comes the jail in Caesaria, the house arrest in Rome, probable release & unrecorded missionary journeys (1 Tim, Titus), followed by arrest again & prison in Rome, from where we have Paul's swan song, 2 Timothy.

Bro, I thought you were referring to something negative like

7   What shall we say then? Is the law sin? Let it not be so. Howbeit, I had not known sin, except through  the law: for I had not known  coveting, except the law had said,  Thou shalt not  covet:  8 but sin, finding occasion, wrought in me through the commandment all manner of  coveting: for apart from  the law sin is dead."

He got out of that narrow path in his mind.

The next vs (9) is what I call the monkey wrench in the Chr life verse:

" 9 And I was alive apart from  the law once

[i was sailing along, on moonlight bay; la dee dah dee dah dah]

: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died;

Sin came back to life again!  And the passage goes on to describe the carnal state of the Christian: 

I am carnal, sold under sin . . . Miserable man that I am!

I thought you might be saying that every post was carnal!

Thanks Butero,

I am feeling majorly better!!

Short frizzy hair .... Who would've thunk!! :)

I know! When we elevate the corporeal aspects into spiritual equalities

to adhere to we become vulnerable to error... clearly that which passes

away has no equality to that which does not and do we not all look for

the redemption of the body? How then are these verses understood

Rom 14 all!

Love, Steven

Thanks Butero,I am feeling majorly better!!Short frizzy hair .... Who would've thunk!! :)

I know! When we elevate the corporeal aspects into spiritual equalitiesto adhere to we become vulnerable to error... clearly that which passesaway has no equality to that which does not and do we not all look forthe redemption of the body? How then are these verses understoodRom 14 all! Love, Steven

Hi Steve,

I wasn't continuing on with the thread but just replying to something else that branched off from it :)

Thanks Butero,I am feeling majorly better!!Short frizzy hair .... Who would've thunk!! :)

I know! When we elevate the corporeal aspects into spiritual equalitiesto adhere to we become vulnerable to error... clearly that which passesaway has no equality to that which does not and do we not all look forthe redemption of the body? How then are these verses understoodRom 14 all! Love, Steven

Hi Steve,

I wasn't continuing on with the thread but just replying to something else that branched off from it :)

I was just assuring you that God looks upon the heart and not on the length or style of the hair :)

that passes away... but in the heart is where we prepare to stand in His Presence for acceptance or

rejection based on the truth of what 'IS' truly there :) Love, Steven

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  514
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  12/07/1989

If long hair were the same as being covered according to Paul, what would be being uncovered? It would mean having short hair, right? The opposite of covered is uncovered and the opposite of long hair is short hair. So if that’s what Paul had in mind, let’s do some word replacement in verse 6. Where we see the word “cover her head”, let’s replace that with “have long hair”.

For if a woman does not [have long hair], let her also have her hair cut off (v.6a NASB)

For if a wife will not [have long hair], then she should cut her hair short (v.6a ESV)
If you refuse to have long hair, you should cut your hair short? You’d already have short hair! This argument wouldn’t make sense.

If long hair were the same as being covered according to Paul, what would be being uncovered? It would mean having short hair, right? The opposite of covered is uncovered and the opposite of long hair is short hair. So if that’s what Paul had in mind, let’s do some word replacement in verse 6. Where we see the word “cover her head”, let’s replace that with “have long hair”.

For if a woman does not [have long hair], let her also have her hair cut off (v.6a NASB)

For if a wife will not [have long hair], then she should cut her hair short (v.6a ESV)
If you refuse to have long hair, you should cut your hair short? You’d already have short hair! This argument wouldn’t make sense.

How about "shaven" -- & seeing this as sarcasm? Or as what is done to a prostitute?

Are you sure you have inserted the right words in brackets?

Advice:

Check out translations with an interlinear or with the old ASV (1901) before arguing from a modern translation (for which I am thankful).  I think Biblos.com has an interlinear (Greek) version.