IGNORED

To cover or not to cover ?

Izzel

Head covering   

17 members have voted

1. 1. Should Christian women cover their heads ?

• YES
    • NO
    • OTHER

Guest Butero

The scripture says her long hair is a covering, so yes, she should have long hair.

So women with frizzy hair that doesn't grow long but grows out as in afro style and sits well above the shoulders - what's the direction in that case?

Not every woman has hair that naturally hangs.

So obviously, hair length is not relevant.

If its not relevant, why does the Bible say it is? I didn't write 1 Corinthians, and I am not the one who said it is a shame for a man to have long hair, but for a woman, it is a glory and a covering to her. If you have an argument, it is with God, not with me.

Is the relevance on hair length or covering?

The Bible states the long hair is the woman's covering. 

Guest Butero

What about naturally short frizzy hair?

What am I supposed to tell you?  What about older women that lose their hair?  I didn't write the passage.  It says what it says.  It is plain in it's meaning.  I would suggest a wig or veil as a covering in such circumstances, but that is just a suggestion.  All I can tell you is what the Bible says. 

I'm not talking about women who have lost hair.

I'm presenting to you women who are born with short frizzy hair which is a result of their DNA which Is Gods own handiwork.

So put a wig over their heads to make what God instituted (short frizzy hair) acceptable?

Guest Butero

I'm not talking about women who have lost hair.

I'm presenting to you women who are born with short frizzy hair which is a result of their DNA which Is Gods own handiwork.

So put a wig over their heads to make what God instituted (short frizzy hair) acceptable?

That was just a suggestion.  I suppose you could make the argument that in such a case, never cutting short frizzy hair is long hair to them.  This isn't a salvation issue, so that seems reasonable to me.  I can't relate to people who go around trying to figure out why scripture doesn't work.  I try to figure out ways to follow it as written.  How many people do you know in that circumstance?  I can't think of any, at least that I know personally. 

Long, short, straight, frizzy haired women are all acceptable.

God is the orchestrator of DNA - If you get really technical about hair types, you will see it is a determining factor originally of their environment.

I know plenty of women with short frizzy hair but that bears no relevance to my original question to you.

Guest Butero

Long, short, straight, frizzy haired women are all acceptable.

God is the orchestrator of DNA - If you get really technical about hair types, you will see it is a determining factor originally of their environment.

I know plenty of women with short frizzy hair but that bears no relevance to my original question to you.

Which is what?  What question did I fail to answer?  The Bible states what it states.  Women are to have long hair as a covering, and men are to have short hair.  It is a sign they are under submission to their spiritual head.  It is not a sin issue, but something we should do.  I don't know any women with short frizzy hair, but if I did, I would suggest they wear a veil or a wig or never cut their short frizzy hair and let it grow as long as possible.  That is what I would do if I was a woman with short frizzy hair.  As a man, I keep my hair very short.  I get a crew cut, and when it starts to get any length to it, I get another crew cut.  Did I miss anything? 

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  158
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  3

It's funny how nobody has mentioned how Paul said that the covering was also for the angels watching....I won't even try to go there! As a couple of posts have mentioned, verse 16 clearly puts this discussion out of the realm of command or requirement. Paul was aparently asked a question about it by the Corinthian believers, probably the elders, and he gives a reasoned response that is suggestive, but again, v16 absolutely takes this out of play as a rule of conduct for the universal church. Proper submission of the wife and headship of the husband is a standing principle, and the reality behind the symbol of the covering. The symbol is certainly not a bad thing, and some women enjoy wearing a head covering, but I would submit that v16 puts this completely in the realm of personal conviction and preference, as long as the reality is being practiced!

You are bound to pop your top button by your tone - wow.

if you missed it - my question was what was the direction in the case of women with short frizzy hair?

I'll give you a heads up - generally short frizzy hair doesn't grow in length where it hangs like straight hair but is more volumous, so instead of growing down, it generally grows out ( think Afro) - of course there may be exceptions to the rule but that's the general direction of hair growth with frizzy hair.

Guest Butero

It's funny how nobody has mentioned how Paul said that the covering was also for the angels watching....I won't even try to go there! As a couple of posts have mentioned, verse 16 clearly puts this discussion out of the realm of command or requirement. Paul was aparently asked a question about it by the Corinthian believers, probably the elders, and he gives a reasoned response that is suggestive, but again, v16 absolutely takes this out of play as a rule of conduct for the universal church. Proper submission of the wife and headship of the husband is a standing principle, and the reality behind the symbol of the covering. The symbol is certainly not a bad thing, and some women enjoy wearing a head covering, but I would submit that v16 puts this completely in the realm of personal conviction and preference, as long as the reality is being practiced!

It shows it isn't a salvation issue, but I do believe we should follow it.  I believe it goes beyond preference or personal conviction, but doesn't rise to the level of sin.