lnknprkn

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  41
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

okay so i want to start reading the bible. im pretty young and naive so it takes a while for me to comprehend abstract things :wub: (im almost 15). anyways, my youth group leader suggested starting on Mark or John

any ideas which book i should start in? and could you also tell me what the book you suggest talks about? thanks :emot-hug:

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,260
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

My personal suggestion would be the book of John..... then Acts.... then start with Genesis and read it through from beginning to end as many times as you can for two or three years.

I think it is very important not to read the book of Revelation until you have read most if not all the old testament books. They all tie together and it will make no good sense at all if read Revelation first

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

I just started in Matthew and read through the New Testament then went right into the Old Testament. I've read it through at least once a year ever since, for a total of about 35 times.

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  24
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  06/05/1981

Hi. A good book to help you understand the most basic concepts of Christian doctrine and how to apply them in our lives is the book of Romans. Don't worry if you don't understand it all. I don't either, and I've read it many times over many years. You will get a little more from it each time you read it. :thumbsup:

Edited by NotJohn

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  46

I would recommend starting out with the Gospels (starting with John) then Acts and Romans. Those books would give a solid foundation of the christian message.

Guest bobdamitch

All of these responses are certainly good...and of merit.....Certainly if the study is limited to the New Testament, for someone learning "from the beginning" I would advise that one to start in the Gospel of John...then the little book of I John...then James...then Jude....Certainly we all need to learn these truths. A good foundation for the New Testament is the Old Testament....and I would suggest after you read the Book of John...read the entire book of Genesis.....you need this for your foundation.....and....if you have a reference Bible where the notations to reference to other Scripture shows up, that you whisk back and read the referenced passage to build your knowledge.....those references are there so that we may better understand the prophecy and the reference the writer is making...

And...among all things....be cool....

Guest antitox

When I first read the Bible, I started with Genesis all the way to Revelation. It really helped me see the plan of God in its entirety as it unfolds. It takes diligence to go through the Old Testament like that (because of all the sacrifices, begats, etc.), but it is eye-opening for someone who hasn't read it before.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  407
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

I've read it through at least once a year ever since, for a total of about 35 times

Wow! Leonard, you are my new hero! :wub:

warm regards

-bud

PS: Oh, I also would recommend starting with the book of John.

This may help you: Knowing God Through John

Also: Knowing God Series

• Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  41

i think im going with john. thanks guys <_<

time to find that bible ;)