obey God out of fear

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  40
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Is obeying God out of fear sinful? You see, I question my salvation because of my sin problem, which I am fighting out of fear. (I do not believe in once saved always saved.) I usually give into my sin. Now I am trying so hard to resist my sin. I even asked God to forgive for the billionth time. I also recognize he may not forgive me. In Hebrews 10:25 it say that if we deliberately sin continuasly after recieving knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice. So when I try praying, I think he is not listening; or when I praise him, it is an abomination to him. I am fearful all the time. I want to obey God out of fear of hell. Every time I want to sin, I think of hell. But when I think of hell, I can not sleep. I hear the scream of the tortures souls in my head. I hear voices telling me that's my eternal home. I am striving to stop my sin issues so it won't be my eternal home. So again my question is, is obeying God out of fear sinful?

Edited by Jesse2014

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  96
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

Your praise is not an abomination to him if its in heartfelt sincerity. I also do not think once saved always saved. I too ask over and over and I still stugle with sin daily. I fear the Lord greatly. Yet my fear is different. Its not hell I fear. But the loss of my God. that I may one day hear I never knew you. While hell is an awful place I wouldn't wish on anyone. Never being able to worship, praise, or fall in the arms of my savior. Seems worse than anything I could ever imagine even hell itself. Really can't pretend to know exactly what your facing, hearing, or the thoughts in your mind.. yet We are to fear God. Its more of reverence than actually being scared. Why would God scare those he loves into obeying him. He is Love.and he never forces us in any way.I know its not easy fighting our flesh. But God will give us the strength to overcome these things. I think the verse your referring to is meant for those who know to stop and choose not to. In your case as well as mine we want to stop sinning we want it gone and not part of us.and that is totally different. I'll be praying with you for deliverance of these things you know you want not to do.and for peace of mind, protection, and guidance to help in troubled times.

Edited by Flagesapen

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,385
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  5

You can be cleansed and made new through the baptism of the Holy Spirit. Ever felt it while at church during worship? Do you go to a Holy Sprit driven church? The Holy Sprit heals everything and careful because its natural high gets addictive and you'll want to go back for more ;)

I don't think you should obey God out of fear even though it isn't a sin. Yes the Word says to fear the Lord but this is the way I look at it:  I obey Him because when I live my life according to His Word everything falls into place. Worries, sickness and the likes go away, I obey Him because my life is blessed with Him in it. When I stop obeying Him the blessings stop, and the world takes over.

Take this verse: Proverbs 3:7 - Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil.

We should fear that if we take part of evil God will punish evil and us within it. But it shouldn't be a kind of fear that you are afraid of the Lord, it's a kind of fear to keep us away from evil because we know the consequences of taking part of evil. It's for our own good. 
John 15
5 “I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. 6 If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. 7 If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. 8 This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

If you obey God out of fear, you will never be free.

Mostly we obey God out of fear because we are fearful of the things we are doing that displease Him.

Stop doing those things and the fear goes, and we begin to obey out of Love, and a closer relationship with Him.

You CANNOT have a close relationship with something you fear.

That's called abuse. (like a battered wife for instance), 

You can only have a close relationship with that which you Love.

God is not into abuse. Just Love Him.

He already Loves you. He always has.

Amen Fez very well said...

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,250
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Jessie, from my past it appears to me like you may have things other than just your sin nature to deal with.....   the kinds of thoughts and visions you describe may well be direct attacks from demonic things that are putting those things up before you on a constant basis.    They can use our very own hormone needs to push us over the edge.

Pray for the Holy Spirit to rid your mind of these thoughts and ask for protection from the fiery darts of the devil.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  78
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Christ is truth, those lying voices in your head are lies of the enemy, don't believe that lying, thieving, killer, trust in Our almighty God and King, Jesus Christ.  The sin that binds you doesn't have a right, In Christ you are free, so ask the Lord to take it, that whatever is overcoming you, that Jesus already overcame that for you, so whatever has no part in Him, has no part in you, that Jesus is your portion alone. Ask that of the Lord and He will do it for you, there are things we can't do on our own, and thank our dear Heavenly Father for our Lord Jesus that did overcome what we can't, and in Him its already done, He did it for you. (John 16:33)  Put your faith in what the Lord can do for you, and accept that its already done, just trust in Him for this.  I love reading Psalms, there is mighty truth in them and such comfort, Gods words for us.  When the enemy comes in with lies, use Gods words against him to send him running.  You can even ask The Lord to lead you to His words that are for us, that you need against any lying voice, He will guide you in this.  And like Hall7 says, you should find a "Holy Spirit" driven church, no one knows you as God knows you, in such love, He will fill your "every need in Him."  Don't let the enemy rob you of anything that Christ says is already yours in Him, that enemy is only a liar, that's all he has to work with, well don't give that to him(the enemy), put your "full trust in the Lord" and if you don't know how to do this, just ask the Lord to bring you to that place in Him and He will.  What we can't, He can, never ever forget that Our God and King Jesus is for us, never against us, so let that lying enemy know that.  Speak the blood of Jesus Christ over your entire life, He "Holy and wholly" covers you in all fullness of Himself.  Call on Jesus' name, anytime you hear a lie, just call on Him and He's there,(even the enemy knows that) trust Him with your all, and then some, give it over to the Lord, all of it, He does wonders so wonderfully in our lives, with such great love, trust Him and He will.   :mgcheerful:

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  40
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Thank you, everyone.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,143
  • Content Per Day:  4.61
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Jesse

To directly answer your question..."no,you are not sinning" but there is much more to it than that........You are not living in the Freedom that Christ gave His very life for that you may have.......because the enemy does not want you to know that freedom,imagine the wonderful things you could accomplish if you were not bound by fear & sin condemnation?

Take captive every thought Jesse,,,,,the only way the devil flees is when you resist him.......how do we resist?By putting on the full armor of God(Eph 6) the Shield of Faith & using the Sword of the Spirit(Gods Word)   Everytime you are fearful,which is not of God,you have to use the weapons God gave you & speak His Truth.............the enemy mat leave for a minute & come right back but you remain diligent & use Gods Word as much as needed,the enemy searches for who he MAY devour,easy pickins...........when you realize your opponent is a defeated enemy because you are Victorious in Christ Jesus you will begin to stand firm on that position of Victory & no weapon formed against you shall prosper

Read Lukes account(4th chapter) of Jesus dealing with the devil,He is showing us how to not entertain the enemy ..........read the Word daily,pray without ceasing & seek the Lord with all your heart,,,,,there is much you can do to release the stronghold you are in,Glory to God

With love-in Christ-Kwik