• Topic Count:  128
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  825
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  1

no one interested in this topic?

Is John the Baptist the re-come Elijah?

:thumbsup:

“See, I will send the prophet Elijah to you before that great and dreadful day of the Lord comes. 

He will turn the hearts of the parents to their children, and the hearts of the children to their parents; or else I will come and strike the land with total destruction.” Malachi 4:5-6 (NIV)

Elijah

And they asked him, “Why do the teachers of the law say that Elijah must come first?”

Jesus replied, “To be sure, Elijah does come first, and restores all things. Why then is it written that the Son of Man must suffer much and be rejected?

But I tell you, Elijah has come, and they have done to him everything they wished, just as it is written about him.” Mark 9:11-13

Came

From the days of John the Baptist until now, the kingdom of heaven has been subjected to violence, and violent people have been raiding it.

For all the Prophets and the Law prophesied until John.

And if you are willing to accept it, he is the Elijah who was to come.

Whoever has ears, let them hear. Matthew 11:12-15 (NIV)

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Silvia

Elijah is not John the Baptist

The Old Testament promised that Elijah would come to the Jewish people. Some who believe in reincarnation think this is what occurred with John the Baptist being the fulfillment of Elijah's coming.

The Angel Gabriel announced to Zechariah's that his son's name would be called John in Luke 1:13. He goes on to say in verse 15 that he will be great in the sight of the Lord and “shall drink no wine or strong drink and will be filled with the Holy Spirit from his mother's womb.” Verse 17 says of John, “he will also go before Him (The Lord) in the Spirit and power of Elijah,” which is a ministry of reconciliation, would have the “hearts of the fathers turned to the children and children turning to their fathers.”

To claim that Elijah is John the Baptist is to teach reincarnation. The premise is that a spirit in a former body comes back to be born in another body. At the very least, it is transmigration. The Bible has never taught this,it is not Scriptoral

In Matthew 11:13, Jesus states: “For all the prophets and the Law prophesied until John.” (Jesus calls him “John” not “Elijah.” Elijah is included with 'all the prophets' who came before John. In verse 14, Jesus says “and if you are willing to receive it, he is Elijah who is to come.” John wore a garment of camel's hair and a leather belt and preached in the wilderness. This was the same attire that Elijah wore (2 Kings 1:8), bringing attention to the Jews of the similarity of John's mission to that of Elijah's. Prophecy has many patterns and sometime dual or more fulfillments.

Malachi had predicted that before the Messiah's appearing, Elijah would come as a forerunner (Mal. 4:5-in relation to the day of the Lord). If the people had been willing to receive Jesus as the Messiah, then John would have filled the role of Elijah. Jesus then tells them to heed His words. If John fulfills Elijah's coming then Jesus is the Messiah.

Jesus pointed to John the Baptist as a type of fulfillment of Elijah's coming but he was not a reincarnation.

Matt11;12 tells us he is"the Elijah",,,not "he is Elijah" (quite different) ........Praise the Lord!                                                                                                                                        With love-in Christ,Kwik

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  87
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

Is John the Baptist the re-come Elijah?

John the Baptist came in the spirit of Elijah, in other words with the same fire and zeal in his spirit.  Was that the total fulfillment?  We are not sure one way or the other.  HOWEVER, I will give you some food for thought.

Hebrews 9:27 (HCSB)

27  And just as it is appointed for people to die once—and after this, judgment— 

Did GOD specifically mention who would be an exception to that rule?

1 Thessalonians 4:16-17 (NASB)

16  For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first.

17  Then we who are alive and remain will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we shall always be with the Lord. 

Okay, how many other people have never died?  Two, Enoch and Elijah, but no where does it say they are an exception to the rule of dieing once.

Could these two be Enoch and Elijah moved by GOD from their time to the end times to turn the Nation Israel to become Believers that Jesus Christ is the Lord and Messiah of Israel?

Revelation 11:3-13 (NKJV)

3  And I will give power to my two witnesses, and they will prophesy one thousand two hundred and sixty days, clothed in sackcloth."

4  These are the two olive trees and the two lampstands standing before the God of the earth.

5  And if anyone wants to harm them, fire proceeds from their mouth and devours their enemies. And if anyone wants to harm them, he must be killed in this manner.

6  These have power to shut heaven, so that no rain falls in the days of their prophecy; and they have power over waters to turn them to blood, and to strike the earth with all plagues, as often as they desire.

7  When they finish their testimony, the beast that ascends out of the bottomless pit will make war against them, overcome them, and kill them.

8  And their dead bodies will lie in the street of the great city which spiritually is called Sodom and Egypt, where also our Lord was crucified.

9  Then those from the peoples, tribes, tongues, and nations will see their dead bodies three-and-a-half days, { Live on CNN } and not allow their dead bodies to be put into graves.

10  And those who dwell on the earth will rejoice over them, make merry, and send gifts to one another, because these two prophets tormented those who dwell on the earth.

11  Now after the three-and-a-half days the breath of life from God entered them, and they stood on their feet, and great fear fell on those who saw them.

12  And they heard a loud voice from heaven saying to them, "Come up here." And they ascended to heaven in a cloud, and their enemies saw them.  { Live on CNN } 

13  In the same hour there was a great earthquake, and a tenth of the city fell. In the earthquake seven thousand people were killed, and the rest were afraid and gave glory to the God of heaven.  

And what could be the result of Enoch and Elijah coming back to the Nation Israel with all kinds of miraculous powers, and what could their testimony or witness be?  Could it be to tell the Nation Israel, perhaps even the very day Antichrist enters the Third Temple and demands to be worshiped as God; that Jesus Christ is Our Messiah! (Yeshua Hamashiach!)  That message, coming from Enoch and Elijah, who by the power of GOD are recognized by every Jew still alive at that time, as genuinely BEING Enoch and Elijah; what would be the RESULT?

Zechariah 3:9 (ESV)

9  For behold, on the stone that I have set before Joshua, on a single stone with seven eyes, I will engrave its inscription, declares the LORD of hosts, and I will remove the iniquity of this land in a single day.

Would they not ALL become that very day, as they watched the TV news about the TWO WITNESSES, Enoch and Elijah, ALL become believers that JESUS is their Messiah?

1 Corinthians 1:22 (HCSB)

22  For the Jews ask for signs and the Greeks seek wisdom, 

And thus even Enoch and Elijah die once, at that hands of the Antichrist in the Streets of Jerusalem.  Why do they "prophesy one thousand two hundred and sixty days"?  Could it be that those two witnesses also are the ones who also lead the gentile Tribulation Saints to receive Jesus as their Lord and Messiah, and those gentiles take more convincing, because they may not miraculously recognize Enoch and Elijah?

Think about it!

Edited by VCO

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  82
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,762
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  02/24/1964

No

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  140
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

Jesus told us to accept that he came in the spirit of Elijah and that's who we were going to get so that's it.  Jesus himself was rejected because he was a pacifist messiah and not a warrior one.

The Spirit

Then the king sent unto him a captain of fifty with his fifty. And he went up to him: and, behold, he sat on the top of an hill. And he spake unto him, Thou man of God, the king hath said, Come down. And Elijah answered and said to the captain of fifty, If I be a man of God, then let fire come down from heaven, and consume thee and thy fifty. And there came down fire from heaven, and consumed him and his fifty. 2 Kings 1:9-10

Of

Again also he sent unto him another captain of fifty with his fifty. And he answered and said unto him, O man of God, thus hath the king said, Come down quickly. And Elijah answered and said unto them, If I be a man of God, let fire come down from heaven, and consume thee and thy fifty. And the fire of God came down from heaven, and consumed him and his fifty. 2 Kings 1:11-12

Elijah

And he sent again a captain of the third fifty with his fifty. And the third captain of fifty went up, and came and fell on his knees before Elijah, and besought him, and said unto him, O man of God, I pray thee, let my life, and the life of these fifty thy servants, be precious in thy sight. Behold, there came fire down from heaven, and burnt up the two captains of the former fifties with their fifties: therefore let my life now be precious in thy sight.

And the angel of the LORD said unto Elijah, Go down with him: be not afraid of him. And he arose, and went down with him unto the king. 2 Kings 1:13-15

~

....Jesus told us to accept that he came in the spirit of Elijah and that's who we were going to get so that's it.... 

....Jesus himself was rejected because he was a pacifist messiah....

....and not a warrior one....

~

Jesus Is The LORD Of Armies (Of Hosts)

Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence. John 18:26

And The LORD God Almighty

Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. Matthew 10:34

Don't Mess With

See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god with me: I kill, and I make alive; I wound, and I heal: neither is there any that can deliver out of my hand. For I lift up my hand to heaven, and say, I live for ever.

If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me. I will make mine arrows drunk with blood, and my sword shall devour flesh; and that with the blood of the slain and of the captives, from the beginning of revenges upon the enemy.

Rejoice, O ye nations, with his people: for he will avenge the blood of his servants, and will render vengeance to his adversaries, and will be merciful unto his land, and to his people. Deuteronomy 32:39-43

Jesus

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war. His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself. And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God.

And the armies which were in heaven followed him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean.

And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God. And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS. Revelation 19:11-16

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  13
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

We have seen quoted, that Jesus said that for those who can receive it, indeed, Eiljah has come, in the person of John the immerser (baptist). Does this mean the John is literally Elijah? I doubt it. Jesus said John came in the spirit and power of Elijah. I take this to mean that John the immerser, fulfilled some of the role of Elijah, but that this is in the form of a type, a symbol, prefillment, not a fulfillment.

In any case, we know that John the immerser, does not totally fulfill the prophecy of Elijah's return. How do we know this?

In Matt 17:11, Jesus refers to Elijah's coming as a yet future event. When Jesus said this, John had already been beheaded, so obviously, the coming that Jesus referred to in Matt 17:11, is distinct from John the immerser.

In Mark 9 we see this:

11They asked Him, saying, “Why is it that the scribes say that Elijah must come first?” 12And He said to them, “Elijah does first come and restore all things.

Isn't that interesting, not only does Elijah come, he apparently restores all things. What ever that means, it seems that Elijah's role is major, perhaps more major than announcing the Messiah - preparing the way, shouting in the wilderness. In John 1, we see this also:

21They asked him, “What then? Are you Elijah?” And he said, “I am not.” “Are you the Prophet?” And he answered, “No.”

So, John the immerser's own testimony, is that he is not Elijah.

I have to say, that the bulk of the evidence points to John not being Elijah.

Edited by Beaker

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  218
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

Jesus said he was Elijah who was to come.

John said he wasn't Elijah.  

John wasn't lying but neither was Christ.

John wasn't literally Elijah.

Jesus was speaking about him coming in the power/spirit of Elijah.

As for the above post, John was a descendant of Aaron by both parents.  He restored all things by baptizing the Christ which made his path straight.  In other words he prepared the Lord for his crucifixion.  I believe Jesus took up the worlds sin at his baptism and John testified Jesus took away the sin of the world the next day.