1 Corinthians 8

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  24
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

There are some people in the church i go that have gotten a different interpretation of the chapter than i did.. They have used it to cover their own sin. I'd like to know everyone's view on this passage. One of the few people i mentioned is a youth pastor and am afraid he may be misguiding the teenagers.. Please help!

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,458
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  01/31/1950

It seems to me verse 4,6,8,10,11,12 are clear.

without naming people what is their view?

Guest LadyC

are you talking about eating of meat? quite simply put, it doesn't matter that there are those in the world that associate certain foods with sacrificing to idols... as long as YOU know there is only one God, and YOU are not doing it as an act of idol worship, then YOU eating it is irrelevant... you're not better off or worse off for eating it. basically, God doesn't care if you eat it or not...

unless you're knowingly doing it in the presence of someone who might feel that it is wrong for them, and your doing so puts them in a situation of being uncomfortable or tempted. for instance, if you go out to eat with an orthodox jew, and without regard for his feelings, you order a nice big fried pork chop or ham steak, then you are in the wrong. not because you ate pork, but because you were insensitive to your dinner guest. even worse would be if you invited the jew to your house and served pork.

same is true for other things... if you're enjoying the company of a friend who is a recovering alcoholic, don't pop the top on a can of beer. God doesn't care if you have an occasional beer, but He does care if you're jeopardizing the recovery of your friend who is suddenly craving one for himself.

there are some who take this all too far, though, and insist that one should never have a beer or eat pork in public because you might be a stumbling block to some stranger dining at the next table. that's not at all what this passage is referring to. however, if that is one person's conviction, then by all means, that person should never have a drink or eat any pork in front of anybody, ever, because you just never know.... but that person should also never infer his conviction onto any other believer.

so what is your view? (if you don't mind sharing.)

I agree with you lady c. My view is very similar to yours. but the other people I'm talking about think that "they have freedom in Christ" and are therefore immnune to this passage. One man openly said that it doesn't matter if a fellow friend struggles with an alcoholic addiction. That just because he has a problem doesn't mean he can't drink it around him. That it is his own fault he has an addiction. We recently went to a wedding where they served wine and the poor man had to leave because they didn't take into consideration his addiction.. The wedding consisted of the whole church (which is a very small one) and most know that this man is struggling but didn't bother to keep the wine away so that he wouldn't stumble. 

Like in verse 9 "But take care that this right of yours does not somehow become a stumbling block to the weak." There is also an elder in the church who doesn't even bother to hide the wine in his house for the sake of his friend! And Paul also says in verse 13 "Therefore, if food makes my brother stumble, i will never eat meat, lest I make my brother stumble." Even Paul says that he'll just boycott meat for the sake of his brother. Shouldn't we follow his example and do the same for our brothers and sisters in Christ? They completely ignore that last verse again to cover up their own pleasures which is very selfish of them. 

Don't get me wrong I love the church I'm attending but this is the first time they completely ignored what the scripture is plainly saying. Just like Cohier said, those verses are very clear yet they are so blind..

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  597
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,124
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

One might also help the other person with his weaknesses.   I don't believe that one has to never have a beer or a good stake just for the sake of this person might see him drinking or eating.....   you can carry this way too far in either direction.

I have several highschool and college close friends who became alcoholics...  I didn't mind drinking around them when they were still drinking, but after they completely stopped, I did in a very loving way ask for permission to drink around them and made them promise me that if it ever bothered them they would let me know.

All of them that have quit drinking told me it was ok after about six months, that it really didn't bother them much any more....'

As for the meet sacrificed to idols, Paul did say that if you know the meat was sacrificed to pagan gods that they were sacrificed to Demons and he really didn't want us to have any part of that....    something to consider.

See i agree with that to a certain extent.. I think drinking beer and wine is wrong. But thats my own conviction. it doesn't have to be yours unless of course God convicts you of it. But these people don't even care to ask they just assume its ok. They just blame it on the one who has the problem and don't even realize they're a stumbling block to him.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,261
  • Content Per Day:  0.24

Hi  lil'misshope, welcome to Worthy! :)

From what you posted, sounds like a few of them are being inconsiderate of others that are weaker.
Those that have freedom in Christ are not immune to these verses. They could eat without being around the weaker brethren, but should not in front of them.

These would be a few thoughts on 1Co 8:1-13. Some go along with what you and a few others have mentioned:

The first few verses in the chapter deal with knowledge, both bad and good. Puffed up knowledge is worthless. 
But by loving God deeply, we should desire share the knowledge we have in Christ to to edify others.

If we love God, He knows. :)

The Christian, who on the side of maturity, can eat all meats whether sacrificed to idols are not. He knows the idols and the false gods they represent are nothing to himself, or to God. To them, it is just good meat, sanctified by the Word of God and prayer. (1Ti 4:5)

However, a young Christian may have conscious problems of eating meat sacrificed to idols, because he is young, he may feel the meat is "defiled" as he sees it still as an offering to the idol.  He has not grown in the Lord enough to yet know otherwise.

As mature loving Christians, we are not looking to eat this meat in front of these younger Christians, as it may make them feel "defiled."

If we did eat this meat in front of them, we would "sin against the brethren"  and "wound their weak conscience."
By doing so, it would be counted a "sin against Christ. (vs.12)

Perhaps a bit of a modern day version of this could be *"halal" meat that has been slaughtered by a Muslim calling on the name of their false god "Allah" before it can be eaten. On a side note, pork, can never be "halal" as it is forbidden by Muslims.

Should a Muslim come to know Christ to be more than the mere false prophet "Isa" as found in their Koran, and come to find Jesus Christ to be the Son of God He is, as represented in the Bible, repent, believe on the Gospel, and become Born Again.

He might not want to see me munching on that *"Halal" meat, that was slaughtered by a Muslim while verbally calling on the name of his ex false god "Allah" prior to slaughter.
Or that Ball Park frank coming off that grill made out of pork, as the Muslim is forbidden to eat pork.
It would likely offend him, and weaken his new found faith in the One True Lord.
If that were the case, I would be causing him to stumble as a new Believer. It's best not to eat this food in front of him at all.

*halal
Islamic definition of what is permitted or lawful under Islamic dietary guidelines.
Meat from animals that have been slaughtered in the prescribed way according to the shariah.

1Co 8:1-13
(1)  Now as touching things offered unto idols, we know that we all have knowledge. Knowledge puffeth up, but charity edifieth.
(2)  And if any man think that he knoweth any thing, he knoweth nothing yet as he ought to know.
(3)  But if any man love God, the same is known of him.
(4)  As concerning therefore the eating of those things that are offered in sacrifice unto idols, we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is none other God but one.
(5)  For though there be that are called gods, whether in heaven or in earth, (as there be gods many, and lords many,)
(6)  But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.
(7)  Howbeit there is not in every man that knowledge: for some with conscience of the idol unto this hour eat it as a thing offered unto an idol; and their conscience being weak is defiled.
(8)  But meat commendeth us not to God: for neither, if we eat, are we the better; neither, if we eat not, are we the worse.
(9)  But take heed lest by any means this liberty of yours become a stumblingblock to them that are weak.
(10)  For if any man see thee which hast knowledge sit at meat in the idol's temple, shall not the conscience of him which is weak be emboldened to eat those things which are offered to idols;
(11)  And through thy knowledge shall the weak brother perish, for whom Christ died?
(12)  But when ye sin so against the brethren, and wound their weak conscience, ye sin against Christ.
(13)  Wherefore, if meat make my brother to offend, I will eat no flesh while the world standeth, lest I make my brother to offend.

Guest LadyC

as for the guy who insists that he can keep drinking around his "friend" because alcohol is his "friend's" problem and not his own, well.... he hasn't got a clue what friendship is about. he sounds like a horrid, selfish, spoiled pig to me.

but about the wedding? i think it would be unreasonable to expect a bride and groom to ban alcohol at their wedding reception because of one person who might attend. it would have been thoughtful though had someone quietly mentioned to the guy at the time he was invited that wine would be served. (or perhaps if a full bar was going to be available, that should be noted on the invitations that are printed and sent out.) then he could choose to attend or not. while we need to be sensitive to others, but they also have to take some personal responsibility to avoid social settings that might be problematic for them.

Yes i agreec. Thank you all for your views and insights. I appreciate it. :)