IGNORED

Righteousness, God's_ Man's? __ What is it all about?

Cross Reference

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  78
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

Romans 4:3-6  -  For what said the scripture?  Abraham "believed" God, and it was "counted unto him(Abraham)" for "righteousness."   4.) Now to him that works is the "reward" not reckoned of grace, but of debt.(A debt that we could never of self pay, but our sweet God & Lord Jesus did it all for us.)  5.)  But to him that works not, but believed on Him,(Jesus) that "justifies the ungodly, his(our) "faith" is counted  for "righteousness."   6.)  Even as David also, "describes the blessedness of the man," to whom God imputed "righteousness" without works,       Romans 4:13  -  For the "promise," that he should be heir of the world, was not to Abraham, or to his seed, "through the law," but THROUGH THE RIGHTEOUSNESS OF FAITH.      Romans 4:20-25  -  He(Abraham) didn't stagger at the "promise of God" through unbelief; but was "strong in faith,"(believing God) giving glory to God;  21.) And being fully persuaded that, what He(God) had promised, He(God) was able also to perform.  22.)  And therefore it was reckoned to him(Abraham) for "righteousness."  23.) Now it was not written for his(Abraham) sake alone, that it was imputed to him(Abraham);  24.) "BUT FOR US ALSO," to whom it shall be imputed, if we believe on him(Our heavenly Father) that raised up Jesus our Lord from the dead;  25.) Who was delivered for "our offenses," and was raised again for "our justification."        Justified by faith and saved by grace.  Hallelujah!!!     Galatians 3:6  Even as Abraham believed God, and it WAS ACCOUNTED TO HIM(ABRAHAM) FOR RIGHTEOUSNESS.       :mgcheerful: 

• Brilliant! 1

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  127
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  08/19/1934

I'm not sure the only question posed really follows the topic but a few ideas from a few close followers of Jesus may be relevant here.

For they being ignorant of God’s righteousness, and seeking to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted to the righteousness of God.

- Romans 10:3

Yet indeed I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christ and be found in Him, not having my own righteousness, which is from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith;

-Paul to the Church at Philippi 3:8-9

For to this you were called, because Christ also suffered for us,leaving us an example, that you should follow His steps:

"Who committed no sin, nor was deceit found in His mouth"; who, when He was reviled, did not revile in return; when He suffered, He did not threaten, but committed Himself to Him who judges righteously; who Himself bore our sins in His own body on the tree, that we, having died to sins, might live for righteousness—by whose stripes you were healed.

1Peter 2:21-24

I therefore have no righteousness of my own but I do have a righteousness through Christ who paid my debt in full, sits at the right hand of the Father and has His home in my heart through His Holy Spirit who unites us in love and purpose.

In Christ, Pat

Yes Jesus gives us his Holy Spirit to dictate, and give us the grace to live the whole Word of God, and that is the only way one will enter Heaven.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  261
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  1

Nope. Sorry. Lets be honest or nothing is achieved: It points to both the Psalmist' and the Lord's righteousness.

Remember, this is the OT __ indwelling here.

I have a plethora of more examples that speak the same message.

Hi Brother CR

?? - that's just the point brother. David's righteousness was the Lord's imputed righteousness and not his own. Those who trust in Christ are made righteous and called righteous only because Christ has made them so by His imputed righteousness and by paying our sin debt on the cross. So David didn't have any of his own righteousness and either do we who trust in Christ but the righteous live by faith in He who gives us righteousness. Jesus had much to say about the "self" righteous. It doesn't matter that David was in the Old Testament either. The promise made to Abraham and all his children were fulfilled in Christ - it is just that David lived before the fulfillment of the promise.

-Pat

A few quotes from Jesus and his disciples make the point better than I do.

“And I say to you that many will come from east and west, and sit down with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven.

- Matthew 8:11

Now to Abraham and his Seed were the promises made. He does not say, “And to seeds,” as of many, but as of one, “And to your Seed,” who is Christ.

-Galatians 3:16

For they being ignorant of God’s righteousness, and seeking to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted to the righteousness of God.

- Romans 10:3

Yet indeed I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christ and be found in Him, not having my own righteousness, which is from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith;

-Philippians 3:8-9

There's honestly no conflict by the psalmsist talking in some verse about the righteous and in others that it is God's righteousness alone - They're really both the same as it's all about imputed righteousness that we come to own because of Jesus.

One last point for clarity sake:

The Parable of the Pharisee and the Tax Collector

Also He spoke this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others: “Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, ‘God, I thank You that I am not like other men—extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this tax collector. I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I possess.’ And the tax collector, standing afar off, would not so much as raise his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me a sinner!’ I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.”

-Luke 18:9-14

Hope that helps in establishing the point and is less confusing.

May the Lord Bless, Pat

Edited by Macs Son

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  127
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  08/19/1934

One will know if he or she is a righteous person by their actions.  But no person can be righteous unless he or she allows the Holy Spirit/Jesus to led him or her.  It is only in and through the grace given to one by God that one is able to walk as Jesus walked.