tff

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

Does Purgatory exists or not? So many people say it does but where in the Bible can I find the proof of its existance? I use the KJV Bible and texts must please be supplied to prove your point.

I'm not Catholic. But the 'idea' that became their tradition is... written in God's Word. In Luke 16 our Lord Jesus mentioned a story about Lazarus and the rich man, both died and one was taken to one side of a great fixed gulf border of separation, and the other was taken to the other side, with one side being the abode of the wicked called hell.

When one of the malefactors crucified with Jesus asked Him to remember him when Jesus came into His Kingdom, and Jesus said that day he would be with Him in Paradise, that is pointing to that same kind of picture our Lord Jesus gave us in Luke 16. (Recall Jesus at His Resurrection went to preach to the "spirits in prison" which relates that area in the heavenly).

The Catholic world took that kind of idea about that Paradise and then created their 'own' traditions with purgatory.

Then there also are many pagan traditions of old about the idea of what 'paradise' is, even within Islam.

The idea behind purgatory led many to falsely teach that man has a second change after death.  Nowhere in scripture will you find this stated.  When Christ was on the cross and told the one hanging on the cross beside Him that he will be in paradise with Him this day, remember that Christ had not yet risen and paradise was where those who were awaiting His resurrection stayed.  Since His resurrection, when we die, we are judged.  There will be no "refining" of any type.  All the chances we are given are given in this life, not after it.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

All the chances we are given are given in this life, not after it.

Exactly!

Scripture aside, surely common sense would dictate that  "a second chance" negates the very reason for accepting Jesus here and now? Why bother if we know we have a second shot?

Guest Judas Machabeus

Onelight Putgatory has nothing to do with second chances. It is clearly for only those that are saved. I believe that someone posted what Purgatory is as the Catholics teach it.

Onelight Putgatory has nothing to do with second chances. It is clearly for only those that are saved. I believe that someone posted what Purgatory is as the Catholics teach it.

Please provide scripture that tells us that once we die, we first must go somewhere where we are purified of sins before we are accepted into His presence?

In Hebrews 9:27, we read "And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment.

Notice it does not say "And as it is appointed for men to die once, but before we enter judgment, we first must go through a perification process to purify us of all sin, then after this the judgment."

Guest Judas Machabeus

The idea behind purgatory led many to falsely teach that man has a second change after death.

You are incorrect in this statement. Putgatory has nothing to do with second chances. It is only for those that are saved.

The idea behind purgatory led many to falsely teach that man has a second change after death.

You are incorrect in this statement. Putgatory has nothing to do with second chances. It is only for those that are saved.

I was brought up in a Catholic church and this is what I was taught.  I stand behind my statement.

Guest Judas Machabeus

You are wrong. Show me where the Catholic Church teaches what you are saying. You can't cause you are wrong.

You are wrong. Show me where the Catholic Church teaches what you are saying. You can't cause you are wrong.

According to the Catholic teaching, anyone who ever stated that Jesus is the Son of God AND accepts the RCC doctrine, even if they continue to live in sin, is a child of God.  True believers believe that only those who accept His salvation and are born again, a changing of the old man into a new man, is a child of God, which is in accordance to scripture.  This is where the RCC claims that those who do not follow God can be purified in purgatory.  According to the RCC, I can sin all week long, and if I go to confession on Saturday, confess my sins to a priest, say what ever penitence the priest ascribes, I am forgiven and remain saved.  This engulfs that ides that even if my heart is not right with God, as long as I follow the priests directions, it is good enough.

As I said, I spend years in the RCC and I am not wrong.  Perhaps you personally have not experienced such teaching?  The RCC has gone through a huge change since I was part of the church.

Guest Judas Machabeus

According to the Catholic teaching, anyone who ever stated that Jesus is the Son of God AND accepts the RCC doctrine, even if they continue to live in sin, is a child of God. True believers believe that only those who accept His salvation and are born again, a changing of the old man into a new man, is a child of God, which is in accordance to scripture. This is where the RCC claims that those who do not follow God can be purified in purgatory. According to the RCC, I can sin all week long, and if I go to confession on Saturday, confess my sins to a priest, say what ever penitence the priest ascribes, I am forgiven and remain saved. This engulfs that ides that even if my heart is not right with God, as long as I follow the priests directions, it is good enough.

As I said, I spend years in the RCC and I am not wrong. Perhaps you personally have not experienced such teaching? The RCC has gone through a huge change since I was part of the church.

You are still asserting YOUR claims which are wrong. If you were correct you would be able to back up your statements.

According to the Catholic teaching, anyone who ever stated that Jesus is the Son of God AND accepts the RCC doctrine, even if they continue to live in sin, is a child of God. True believers believe that only those who accept His salvation and are born again, a changing of the old man into a new man, is a child of God, which is in accordance to scripture. This is where the RCC claims that those who do not follow God can be purified in purgatory. According to the RCC, I can sin all week long, and if I go to confession on Saturday, confess my sins to a priest, say what ever penitence the priest ascribes, I am forgiven and remain saved. This engulfs that ides that even if my heart is not right with God, as long as I follow the priests directions, it is good enough.

As I said, I spend years in the RCC and I am not wrong. Perhaps you personally have not experienced such teaching? The RCC has gone through a huge change since I was part of the church.

You are still asserting YOUR claims which are wrong. If you were correct you would be able to back up your statements.

I am sure you can do the research yourself on this matter since I am also held to the same restrictions about "teaching RCC doctrine and bashing the RCC" as everyone else is.

And to be honest, I am growing tired of you telling me I am wrong when I live this for many years, much before you were even born.