IGNORED

Secullar Heavy Metal/Christian Heavy Metal Q

ChristServantSean

i gotta fess up to something.

i do occasionally enjoy some music by the heavy metal bands. queensryche, metallica, kiss, ozzy, and even alice cooper. and i love creed... but it wasn't until i started reading 'sinners creed' by scott stapp (just finished the book a minute ago) that i learned that creed was even a heavy metal band. LOL, i'm so clueless. but what can i say, rock bands have some really great ballads!)

and yeah, i really only like the ballads LOL.

i think i was about 15, maybe 16 when i decided that the only thing hard rock was good for, IMO, was to feed my anger when i was mad at something. the older i got, the less i enjoyed feeding the anger.

but i'd never listened to christian rock at that point in my life either. still have no desire to, at least not the hard stuff. but i'll defend it to my grave... because if the band is singing lyrics that give glory to God, i have no doubt He will put the speakers in heaven on mute and enjoy reading the lyrics scroll on the big screen in the sky. all the while, the Holy Spirit will have His feet on the ground, touching people here and there in the mosh pits.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

Sean, I agree with you. In the early 1980's Christians said there's no such thing as Christian Rock, but maybe there is. If the music makes you want to dance and sway in an overtly sexual way, then I wouldn't call it Christian at all. Or if it makes you feel angry or self pity, I don't call it Christian. But some people do. The bottom line is it disturbs you and your wife.  And no one can say you're wrong. Today's churches are more and more secular because people love the world. They're always looking for how close they can come to being worldly and yet still be a Christian.  I think you've already decided this pastor goes too far for you. That's fine. I'd leave too. Maybe if he kept this private and to himself it would be ok. But it sounds he likes it's wrong too, and he wants as many people doing the wrong with him that he can get. Isn't that common. I say find another church.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,385
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  5

I think it comes down to the state of the spirit of the person who created the music, whether it be Rap, Heavy metal, Country etc... Was the music created glorifying God or was it created glorifying Evil? A lot of heavy metal music was created glorifying Satan, same with other music genres. I don't find it hard to filter what my spirit feels like when listening to music, you can feel it inside, the Spirit of God let's you know what is good or bad for you...

As far as that preacher listening to non-Christian heavy metal goes, it kind of sounds as he is not letting go of part of his old self. I can see a Christian who isn't a preacher doing that at times, but not a preacher who is suppose to set a good example for others, especially the part of him trying to convince others that it's perfectly OK to listen to non-Christian heavy metal.  

Music is a powerful tool and when not used correctly it really can weaken ones spirituality, little by little.  It affects our thought patterns, our subconscious...in which is Evil's main target in a human being, thoughts in which are connected to the spirit...  

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

I don't like the secular heavy metal but I have heard some of the Christian like Skillet.   They have  an enormous impact of young people and at their concerts they preach the gospel and kids are getting saved. Could I listen to it all the time no.  But I don't  question how God uses things to touch certain people I just praise Him that these kids are coming to Christ.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,710
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

Hall, question, why is it we have to hold preachers to a higher standard? Especially in areas like this. They are people to and they are not perfect-no way they can be. Saying its "understandable" for someone else to listen to this style of music but not the pastor doesn't seem fair. Nor does it seem right to leave a church or divide over the pastors choice of music. It might be fair to insist the preacher only listen to/ promote the Christian bands on church grounds, but that's it. This seems like really a minor issue to me. One of those mountain out of a molehill type situations

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

I don't like heavy metal all.

If your pastor is promoting it in church then I have a problem with what he is doing

We confronted our pastor about this and he labelled it an art form. He said hes perfectly comfortable with listening to it and promoting it to all aspects of the Church.

I am also uneasy about the use of the word confronted.  Possibly meaning you just wanted to discuss with him?

I honestly do not find heavy metal compatible with worship in the least...no one jump on my please...I am expressing my opinion and maybe more, but I don't

think it would serve to have that debate here (thanks).

Bottom line for me is that your pastor should care more about his congregation then his personal tastes in music

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

I don't like the secular heavy metal but I have heard some of the Christian like Skillet.   They have  an enormous impact of young people and at their concerts they preach the gospel and kids are getting saved. Could I listen to it all the time no.  But I don't  question how God uses things to touch certain people I just praise Him that these kids are coming to Christ.

yeah I guess I agree with your statements here Rusty....people's hearts are not our territory (as you know) but God can and does use anything He wants to bring to people

to Himself

I personally can't stand the stuff...

Hall, question, why is it we have to hold preachers to a higher standard? Especially in areas like this. They are people to and they are not perfect-no way they can be. Saying its "understandable" for someone else to listen to this style of music but not the pastor doesn't seem fair. Nor does it seem right to leave a church or divide over the pastors choice of music. It might be fair to insist the preacher only listen to/ promote the Christian bands on church grounds, but that's it. This seems like really a minor issue to me. One of those mountain out of a molehill type situations

Because a pastor is supposed to be matured in the spirit of the Lord and should know better about these things. Although it's understandable.for one who is still growing in the spirit to be weak in this type of thing, if listening to non Christian heavy metal on a daily basis is a habbit.

so, would you say someone listening to non-christian music of another genre is "weak in the spirit"? for instance... someone who enjoys listening to pop, or country, or jazz, or new age, or light rock, or classic rock.

if someone listens to pink floyd are they a spiritually immature christian?

what if a preacher listens to george jones or hank williams? or maybe something more contemporary on the country scene like lady antebellum or little big town?

so, would you say someone listening to non-christian music of another genre is "weak in the spirit"? for instance... someone who enjoys listening to pop, or country, or jazz, or new age, or light rock, or classic rock.

if someone listens to pink floyd are they a spiritually immature christian?

what if a preacher listens to george jones or hank williams? or maybe something more contemporary on the country scene like lady antebellum or little big town?

Depends if the artist who created the music intentionally praises Evil, if Evil lyrics are intentionally incorporated into ones music and a Christian enjoys this type of music, it can only mean that they are weak in the spirit due to lack of discernment in what soils the spirit.