hamletcat

• Group:  Seeker
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  49
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

I was born into a family of atheists, and now I would probably have to consider myself a born again Christian. But since becoming a Christian, I have been accused of not being a Christian. I consider myself a Christian because of two things: I believe in god and I believe that salvation is only possible through Jesus Christ. I think the reason I have been accused of not being a Christian is because I don't believe that everything in the bible is literal. I tend to read and understand it metaphorically. Does this matter? Does this mean I am not a Christian? God told me I was, so when people tell me this it is like they are accusing god of lying to me. Can someone please give me their opinion on this. Should I be saying that I am not a Christian then?

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  406
  • Topics Per Day:  0.09
  • Content Count:  5,248
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  67

Shalom , 

This is a very good read.  

http://www.whatisachristian.info/ :thumbsup:

In John 5:24 Jesus said, Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes Him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned but has crossed over from death to life.

Notice He didn’t say “will have eternal life”, he said “has eternal life”.  Whoever hears the word of the Lord and believes in what He did for us already has eternal life. In John 6:37-40 He said, All those the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never drive away. For I have come down from heaven not to do my will but to do the will of him who sent me. And this is the will of him who sent me, that I shall lose none of all those he has given me, but raise them up at the last day. For my Father’s will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.

Remember, in Ephesians 1:13-14 he said we were included in Christ when we heard the gospel of our salvation and believed it. At that time we received the seal of the Holy Spirit as a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance.  There’s not a word anywhere in the New Testament about the seal being broken, or the deposit being returned, or the inheritance being canceled.

So, there is nothing involving salvation that included how you view the Bible, either literal or allagorical/metaphorical. It is the Spirit who leads us into all Truth, however, so maybe you should listen to Him instead of forming your own opinions as to the Bible's characteristics.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  358
  • Content Per Day:  0.08

Hello, fellow Christian: Scriptures talk about not giving babes meat. thus said one can not know everything there is to know about being Christian, regardless of how long, one has been a Christian. the Bible is read through my fleshly eyes a lot. But with study ,more Spiritual things are revealed. one reason the Bible is called the LIVING WORD, is that a verse I read yesterday may have a different meaning today, Not that the Word itself changes, but as I see it changes. so grow in the Lord. just be thankful God didn't make man the Judge who gets in or not. we are saved by grace through faith, not on our knowledge of His Word. that comes with maturity as we grow

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  2,875
  • Content Per Day:  0.71
  • Days Won:  9

From what you wrote, I do believe that you are probably a Christian.

The issue for some Christians is that you do not take the bible literally. That is unusual for a Christian. So, if you don't mind, I'd like to ask a few questions.

Do you believe that the bible contains the words of God? Or that the bible was given by 'dictation' or revelation from God?

Do you believe Jesus is real or do you believe Jesus is an allegory?

Just FYI, I believe there are varying levels of understanding of the bible.

1. The plain or direct meaning. Most of the bible can and should be taken literally. There are some places which are clearly allegorical but it says in the verses when it was an allegory.

2. The second way is to look at the allegorical meaning beyond the literal. The allegorical should never alter the literal meaning. 

3. Comparitave meaning. Looking at additional or similar occurrences to expand understanding

4. Revelatory or spiritual meaning.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,143
  • Content Per Day:  4.62
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings hamletcat....

Welcome to the fold,Brother in Christ Jesus......I celebrate the Joy of your Salvation with you as the Angels in Heaven rejoice!!!!!!!The first,most important thing is that you understood that you could not get to Heaven of your own good works,you recognize what Jesus has done for you because God so loves you,,,,,,you have received the knowledge that Jesus is Lord of lords,King of kings ,died on the 3rd day & IS RISEN......Sounds like I have a new Brother,a born again child of God ,another member of that same Body of Christ.......Halleluyah!!!!

Brother,Jesus promises that when He is Lord & Savior of your life that you will never be without Him,you are indwelled by His Holy Spirit.........the "Helper" will give you Wisdom & Understanding as you walk and grow spiritually in  relationship with our Lord......be patient,pray,talk to our Lord,seek Him in His Living Word(the Bible) & however your logic & intellect interprets those Words will change as you receive revelation by the Power of the Holy Spirit,,,,,,,,we are all a "process",,,,,,Let go & let God,as you decrease-Christ increases......no,it does not matter what you think of how it is Written,pray for a teachable spirit so you can receive Gods Timeless Truth as only He can show you,,,,,try not to look at Gods Word in any way except to find Him in it.,He will reveal Himself to you if you earnestly seek Him...................                                                                    With love-in Christ,Kwik

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,247
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

Lord, I believe; help my unbelief." is a very valid prayer.

We can't fully understand the Bible with out intellect alone. Quite often we like to make a passage into just a beautiful poem or an allegory so that it doesn't touch us personally. This is not the way to read the Bible. God uses it to speak directly to us by His Spirit.

Pray before you read the Bible and ask God to reveal the meaning to you. The work of the Holy Spirit is to enlighten you and help you to understand scripture. Ask that He open your eyes to the truth.

Be sure to acknowledge Christ's lordship both over the universe and over your own life. Continue to ask Him to direct your steps and guide you. God's word is a lamp for our feet and a light for our path. It helps us to make godly choices .

Ask Him to fill you with His own love to help you love the unlovable and forgive the unforgivable. Allow Him to live in you in this way.

2 Cor 10:4-5 For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every though into captivity to obedience of Christ,

Making most of the Bible an allegory, especially when it is not expressly stated as having another meaning, is not a good way to approach reading the Bible. When Exekiel spoke of dry bones coming to life it was certainly speaking of the nation of Israel but also of its spiritual state of unbelief. There are many word pictures used in prophecy. But if there is a literal interpretation, we can't ignore that and try to read something mystical into it.

So do pray before you read, and do not try to understand using your own intellect and imagination.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Yes it matters.

It matters because if you start believing the parts of the bible you want to believe is the word of God, and don't believe the parts you don't want to believe, and every other christian did the same thing, where would that leave us?

A sorry mess, no?

The more you read, meditate on the Word and pray, the more alive the Word of God becomes.

Do you attend a church, or receive any teaching from another source?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  1,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  1

The narratives of the bible do explain or illustrate or illuminate doctrine from the new testament so you may come into a better understanding and application of doctrine more than most. I stayed away from Genesis for a while and prayed my heart and mind would see as God would have me see. Eventually I was asked by a brother, who had no idea I was freaking about creation, to join a home group that was going to do a study of Genesis from a taped series by David Hocking. It went fine like I hadn't a problem at all.

As Jesus said, go into your secret room were God sees in secret and pray. Spill your heart to the Lord first.  

• Group:  Seeker
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  115
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

Hi.  I believe in metaphorical meanings, too.  I know others who do, too.