ray

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  281
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  789
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0

How much time should one read or study the Bible? I hear of people claiming to read as much as an hour or so day. Some even read a chapter or 3 or so a day. Some just read a verse. So how much time spend reading and listing to God's word? Does it make a difference if it is daily weekly, monthly, or yearly?

ray

Guest Thomas I believe

Ray, I read the bible about 30 minutes per day somedays more but its almost 30 minutes everyday on the average. I always pray before I read God's Word and He guides me as to how much to read. For myself personally I read a few verses and then reflect on what God is speaking to me. I don't think theres anything wrong with reading chapters or just a verse. Let God speak to your heart thats the most important thing. Hope that helps.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  79
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Neh 8:2-3

2And Ezra the priest brought the law before the congregation both of men and women, and all that could hear with understanding, upon the first day of the seventh month.

3And he read therein before the street that was before the water gate from the morning until midday, before the men and the women, and those that could understand; and the ears of all the people were attentive unto the book of the law.

Ezra read to the people from morning to midday! The point is, there is no time too great or too small to spend in God's word. It's less about the amount of time and more about your heart as you read! I have often read just one or two verses that kept me prayerful and thoughtful all day! :thumbsup:

KrosChild

• Topic Count:  39
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  85
  • Birthday:  05/25/1987

Do not be misguided into thinking that a certain amount of time reading the Bible will get you into heaven. What will get you into heaven is your acceptance in Christ.

As for reading the Bible, I try to do it on a daily basis. It may be difficult at times with you lives and all but anytime you are just sitting around try to pick up a Bible and read. Its never a bad time to listen to God's words.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,244
  • Content Per Day:  0.31

:taped: I go alittle over bord... but im in the bible somedays up to 2 to 6 hours a day on an average day... LOL :blink::thumbsup:

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,262
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Ray, it is my opinion that the time will vary. When you first become a christian a person needs to spend a lot of time in the word to get familiar with God, Jesus and the Spirit. After reading it several times I think a person needs to spend a little more time living it than reading it.

I personally listen to the bible more than I read it these days and it is a good use of commute time which is between one and two hours a day. I usually listen about half the year, so it would work out to a half hour or so on the average for the year.

Living it is a full time job 24/7.

se

• Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  79

About every morning at 5 am I get up streach and start exercising on my stationary bicycle. I put on the tape and open the bible when I do this so I multitask. I exercise, read the bible and listen to the bible all at the same time. I an up to 30 minutes now but should be adding another 15 minutes next week and gradually increase to 1 hour. I don't exercise on Sundays and I don't use the stationary bicycle on Saturday ( I get out and use the real bicycle).

With this schedule I am way ahead of my bible-in-a-year program. The easiest way to complete the bible I have found out is to use an audio bible and follow along. It goes much faster and keeps you on tract. I also use the dramatized version whenever possible. So how long is enough? It depends on your plan...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  429
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

Don't worry about the length of time, but make time each day.

Myself, I pray what is called, "The Liturgy of the Hours," or the "Divine Office," morning and evening. My wife and myself pray the evening prayer together.

Here's a brief discription of the Liturgy of the Hours.

Lauds

Also known as Morning Prayer. It is meant to be said first thing in the morning. There is a hymn, two psalms (or bits of psalms if they are long), an Old Testament canticle (basically a psalm that happens not to be in the Book of Psalms), a short reading, and prayers of intercession. In public celebration, it is possible for Mass to follow straight on from this Hour.

Vespers

Also known as Evening Prayer or Evensong. There is a hymn, two psalms, a New Testament canticle (usually a hymn from St Paul or a song of triumph from the Apocalypse), a short reading, and prayers of intercession.

Sundays and important feasts are considered to start the night before (like the Jewish Sabbath) and have so-called "First Vespers" on that night: you don't need to worry about this refinement because it is built into this site.

After Evening Prayer(Vespers) I meditate for a period, and will add another reading from the Bible, where I let the Holy Spirit guide me to the chapter and verse.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  733
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,017
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/09/1966

I agree with others that say don't worry about how much TIME you spend reading the Bible every day.

What's more important is that you are IN the Word daily and how much you are getting out of what you've read. Reading it just to say you've read it that day isn't what's important.

God has different callings for everyone. There are some who are prayer warriors who may be called to spend more time in prayer than others. Those called to teach the Word are called to spend more time in the Word. A mother of four called to raise God-fearing children for another of God's purposes may only have five minutes a day to read the Word. God honors that, too.

I think the important thing is to not fit God into your day, but to plan your day around time with God. God should be our priority.

Guest Thomas I believe
I agree with others that say don't worry about how much TIME you spend reading the Bible every day. 

What's more important is that you are IN the Word daily and how much you are getting out of what you've read.  Reading it just to say you've read it that day isn't what's important.

God has different callings for everyone.  There are some who are prayer warriors who may be called to spend more time in prayer than others.  Those called to teach the Word are called to spend more time in the Word.  A mother of four called to raise God-fearing children for another of God's purposes may only have five minutes a day to read the Word.  God honors that, too. 

I think the important thing is to not fit God into your day, but to plan your day around time with God.  God should be our priority.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Amen Keith !! Perfectly said.. :)