IGNORED

Black Friday

missmuffet

I'm in Canada and "Yes" they started the black Friday here too,first there were a few stores but now it's even the grocery stores,I wondered for many years where they got the term "Black Friday " ?

I'm not going anywhere ,my husband might get shoes from Marks Warehouse  and that's it,the deal are not really that good anyway!

the term black friday comes from it being the day when most retailers get out of the "red zone" and start finally turning a profit for the year.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest shiloh357

The Walmart where I live didn't get that much traffic last night or this morning.   One lady said that it was really wasn't worth having a full crew in the store all night. They had the shelves packed and ready for the crowds and really didn't get near what they were told to expect.  This is smaller town and people probably went to larger cities in the area rather than shop here.

I wasnt there, but apparently our store was a madhouse. there was people on facebook complaining because they showed up at 8 like they were supposed to to find all the racks empty-people had gone through at 4 pm, taken everything they wanted then just walked the store until 8 when they could buy it.

Oh wow...  Yeah that' pretty raw.  I guess since they are open 24 hours, there wasn't anything the store could do about that.

not really. See, when I worked wal-mart they closed thanksgivingday, we set everything up the night before and no one was even allowed in the store until the items were able to be bought. If one was to do such a sale, that would be the fair way to do it.

I know... that's what I'm saying.  Since they are open 24 hours now on Thanksgiving, the people who showed up at 8:00 got the raw end of the deal.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  55
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.38
  • Days Won:  28

I'm in Canada and "Yes" they started the black Friday here too,first there were a few stores but now it's even the grocery stores,I wondered for many years where they got the term "Black Friday " ?

I'm not going anywhere ,my husband might get shoes from Marks Warehouse  and that's it,the deal are not really that good anyway!

the term black friday comes from it being the day when most retailers get out of the "red zone" and start finally turning a profit for the year.

Thanks,did you buy anything?

me? i didn't go anywhere near a store yesterday, and the only store i went to today was the grocery store so i could pick up a fogger for the storage shed.... gotta make sure when we pull out the christmas trees that there aren't any spiders making their home in them!

seriously though, i've committed to doing any and all holiday shopping at stores that were NOT open yesterday. that means walmart, target, and many many other places will not be getting any of my business for the next six weeks. 

it's a good thing i'm a fan of shopping small businesses, huh? 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  1,393
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  4

Who do you work for, Duggar?

The Walmart where I live didn't get that much traffic last night or this morning.   One lady said that it was really wasn't worth having a full crew in the store all night. They had the shelves packed and ready for the crowds and really didn't get near what they were told to expect.  This is smaller town and people probably went to larger cities in the area rather than shop here.

Yea, I work for Wal-mart; we used to be the best in our region, but since we lose our 1st store manager we have been on a major decline, although we are now on our third store manager and he seems to be turning things around; but just before he got here our Wal-mart store average a half star rating out of 5 on Facebook, so yea we went from first to worst in a short period of time.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  27
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,718
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

I just finished the bulk of my black friday shopping-from my own home. Cabelas had a new spotting scope half off I wanted, and I got a red dot site for one of my handguns (that item wasnt on the sale but it was cool) will be spending most of the rest of the day lobbing lead downrange at prairie dogs, and perhaps hitting wal-mart tonight to go through the movies.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,994
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,692
  • Content Per Day:  11.74
  • Days Won:  226

I use to do it but again amazon has black friday deals and I like sleeping in my warm bed. Plus this year it started at 5pm or 6pm on Thanksgiving which is a shame to me because people should be home with their famlies instead of shopping.

I have talked to a couple of people who have said that about Amazon.I get stuff from them sometimes.People have also said that the really good deals are gone by 1PM and that you really need to get there by 5AM.

me? i didn't go anywhere near a store yesterday, and the only store i went to today was the grocery store so i could pick up a fogger for the storage shed.... gotta make sure when we pull out the christmas trees that there aren't any spiders making their home in them!

seriously though, i've committed to doing any and all holiday shopping at stores that were NOT open yesterday. that means walmart, target, and many many other places will not be getting any of my business for the next six weeks. 

it's a good thing i'm a fan of shopping small businesses, huh? 

Yes,I went to the grocery store too.That was bad enough :45:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  562
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,074
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  05/31/1966

I heard on the news, that alot of stores were open on Thanksgiving with sales and they are going to call it grey Thursday.

I heard on the news, that alot of stores were open on Thanksgiving with sales and they are going to call it grey Thursday.

smiley-laughing002.gif