IGNORED

Sony: The Decision to Pull, "The Interview"

Guest shiloh357

Guest shiloh357

So what is your opinion about Sony's decision to not screen, "The Interview?"    And what about the decision by many theaters in the US refusing to show it if it was released?

Was this smart? Was it cowardice?   What do you think?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  97
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  03/18/1966

While I have no interest in this movie and would never watch it, I think this was a mistake. We can';t let other countries go around and frighten us into what they want. This isn't what America is about. 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  317
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0

Personally, I had never heard of the movie until this incident occurred.

There are a number of ways this could go, and all of them start with conspiracy in my mind. 

1. A marketing ploy to get more people interested in watching it. From what I understand, there is still the idea of releasing it. Maybe through other means than just movie theaters. Honestly, this trick actually has piqued my interest in the movie. 

2. It's interesting to see NK proposing to help with the investigation - which could be viewed with a couple of different outcomes: a) they are trying to cover their tracks like a perpetrator being a part of the investigation to cover whatever evidence is found against them; or, b) they are innocent and they want to prove that innocence. 

3. A way to distract from anything else that may be going on. A very thick smoke screen if you will.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  34
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

I just can't believe such things can happen in the US ,where so many internet security firms are based,and people's awareness of  issues related to  cybersecurity is very high ,compared to many other parts of the world.

I think we're are going to see the introduction of numerous internet security measures to counter the threat of sophisticated cyber attacks in the near future.

I think the era of cyber warfare has definitely begun.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

The can of worms is opened once again!

First, the theaters must not feel they can be protected from terrorist if they are going to back down to threats from someone thousands of miles away. Is this cowardice or are they trying to protect their customers and theaters? We may never know the answer if the movie is never played. Personally, I feel they backed down because they do not trust our government to do what is right in protecting them.

As for Sony pulling the film, it looks like this was a marketing choice more than a fearful choice. Maybe they also do not trust our government to protect them? I would think that they should of sent the film to those who still agreed to view it and let things play out themselves.

As I say this, I also must admit that I do not have the same information they have when making the decision.

Guest shiloh357

I kind of see both sides of this.  On the one hand, we should not be running scared of N. Korea of places. 

But if the decision was made to run the screen the films and disregard the warnings, and even just one bomb went off in one theater, wouldn't Sony and the theater company that screened the film be castigated for ignoring the warnings? 

I mean, it seems to me that this might be a no win situation for Sony and the theaters.  They are accused of cowardice if they don't show the film but might be accused of reckless endangerment if they released it and there was a terror attack on a theater that screened it.

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  230
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.95
  • Days Won:  14

I would not go to see the movie but think the decision to pull it out of theatres is foolish. The NK have wine this round and the movie industry set a precedent that could haunt them!

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

It was not a wise move to even make the movie in the first place. If Iran made a really good movie (comedy) about say, Obama being assassinated, and portraying him as a buffoon and idiot, and it was released worldwide, what would be said?

The film should not even have been made.

​It's not the sort of puerile humor I would watch anyway, but it should not have been made.

That North Korea did what it did is inexcusable, and they are a dangerous and unstable, oppressed and dictator driven excuse for a country. But why throw fuel on the fire and make such a movie? It has no message except watch this pathetic movie that will be forgotten three weeks after it is released so that we can take your money.

Anything Sony does from now on will be done to recoup what money they can from this disaster.

Guest shiloh357

Yes, that's true.  It was foolish movie to even make.  I am surprised that N. Korea hasn't tried to go after Seth Rogen and James Franco over the whole thing.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Yes, that's true.  It was foolish movie to even make.  I am surprised that N. Korea hasn't tried to go after Seth Rogen and James Franco over the whole thing.

Would not put it past them, I think that they are probably, through outside contractors, capable of anything. I wonder if their "cyber army" are not paid contractors from the darker side of the internet.