• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  733
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,017
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/09/1966

I agree the money has always been yours to use. God has blessed you as you say, you bless others in so many ways through your physical ability as caretaker and through your testimony. The computer is your contact with Christians who can in turn bless you.

PS. Don't listen to those who tell you to build your own Mac...as a Mac user get a new one for yourself and enjoy God's blessing. There really is nothing like a MAC!!!

My building a computer would be an "immaculate contraption!"  I don't have aptitude in that area.  I marvel at people like Patriot who understand not only the lingo, but the intricacies of technology.  It's just impressive to me.  I'd be happy just to carry their tools for them!

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  230
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.95
  • Days Won:  14

:rofl: That is exactly how I feel every time I have to use a Windows program!! Which is more often than I like!! Can't wait to get back to the sanity of a Mac.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  269
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,235
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

Hi Keith,

Thankyou for all your kind words. It is such an encouragement to hear that. We get like a `family` here & come to know each other`s personalities. And we are all on the journey together to know our Lord more & help each other on the way.

Bless you bro. Marilyn.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  244
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  2

As I've been thinking about this, I wanted to clarify something that's important to me.

This thread is not a veiled attempt to show how "wonderful" I am in any way.  I assure you... wonderful I am not!  Yes, I'm seeking God over this and will obey whatever the answer is.  But, I'm very sincere when I ask for your thoughts on this because I really do want to buy a new computer.  I've had computers that couldn't be updated anymore and it's a nightmare.  This one is getting there. 

In the natural, this is very likely the only time I'll have the money in one lump sum in order to buy a new computer.  But, Christianity isn't lived in the natural.  We don't think and operate the way the world does because of who God is.  It's because of that, that I would rather use the money towards eternal things, honoring God and blessing others. 

If anything, this is showing me how weak my faith really is, which is humbling.  Knowing God as my Provider, like I do, how could I waver with not using my tax return to bless others?  If I need a new computer, God's capable of providing one, isn't He?  Of course!  He's not subject to my financial situation, the economy, or anything else!  Right now I feel like I'm failing the faith test. 

If I were you I would buy the computer because this world needs more posters like you, testifying of how it is not to want and be content where your at, buying the new computer is not being disatisfied with the old one its just a practical move

how about blessing someone with the old one, that might be a good move

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  2
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

As I've been thinking about this, I wanted to clarify something that's important to me.

This thread is not a veiled attempt to show how "wonderful" I am in any way.  I assure you... wonderful I am not!  Yes, I'm seeking God over this and will obey whatever the answer is.  But, I'm very sincere when I ask for your thoughts on this because I really do want to buy a new computer.  I've had computers that couldn't be updated anymore and it's a nightmare.  This one is getting there. 

In the natural, this is very likely the only time I'll have the money in one lump sum in order to buy a new computer.  But, Christianity isn't lived in the natural.  We don't think and operate the way the world does because of who God is.  It's because of that, that I would rather use the money towards eternal things, honoring God and blessing others. 

If anything, this is showing me how weak my faith really is, which is humbling.  Knowing God as my Provider, like I do, how could I waver with not using my tax return to bless others?  If I need a new computer, God's capable of providing one, isn't He?  Of course!  He's not subject to my financial situation, the economy, or anything else!  Right now I feel like I'm failing the faith test. 

Hi, I'm a new member - but I just want to say that all the while I was reading your first post, it never ONCE occurred to me you were in any way bragging or telling us "how wonderful you are".  Not once.  It seemed thoughtful and introspective and with genuine desire for clarity on your question.  Actually, I think that's fairly remarkable on a number off levels...  Now!  On to your question....

Yes - I think you should get what you need.  It's possible you could reach even more lost or entangled souls with a better computer and besides that, you're such a long way from gluttony or coveting your neighbor, it's ridiculous.  Happy shopping!  

Edited by kenthomas

• 2 weeks later...

@seandavids and kenthomas - I really appreciate your kind words and found them encouraging.  I still haven't made up my mind 100% either way, yet.  I don't want to make any decisions until the time comes.  I've been ruled by peace for so long and I won't make a move without it. 

Again, I really do see both sides of this.  Of course it's okay to get a new computer.  I know that.  If I go ahead and get it, it will be without guilt or condemnation.  But, I can't ignore how deeply I just want to make a difference in the little time we have left on this earth.  With the money I would spend on a new computer, I know a sound, godly ministry that supports missionaries around the world.  They, like me, follow the George Muller method of trusting God (through prayer alone) to meet their needs without having to ask people for money.  If their work is of God, then God will meet their needs.  And He's answered their prayers with the same type of miracles that He answered mine with!  The money I send them could support 10 to 14 godly, earnest missionaries for a whole month!  It could buy about 300 copies of the Jesus movie that missionaries have used to win millions of souls for Jesus!  Those movies are in constant need and used by missionaries at Gospel For Asia!   One movie has been known to bring entire villages to Jesus!

That's what I can't stop thinking about.  A computer?  It would be nice but what kind of eternal difference would it make?

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  44
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Buy the computer, be connected, and use your connection for the common good.

For me, it's a no-brainer. People need connection, these days, to pursue their agendas. Your agenda seems entirely virtuous. Pursue it, and don't feel guilty for pursuing it.

Best wishes, 2RM

Buy the computer, be connected, and use your connection for the common good.

For me, it's a no-brainer. People need connection, these days, to pursue their agendas. Your agenda seems entirely virtuous. Pursue it, and don't feel guilty for pursuing it.

Best wishes, 2RM

My only agenda is to glorify God and enjoy Him forever.  That can be done whether I'm alone on a mountain with the clothes on my back, or in the middle of a crowded city, with or without a computer.  Either way, I'm content.  My intention isn't to be pious in saying that.  But I can say that because I've been through so much, only to find that every victory, every valley passed through, every need met, every mountain high, was only possible because of Jesus and His sacrifice on the cross.  If it weren't for Him, I would have been crushed decades ago.  Every breath belongs to Him.  It's obedience I'm after, and what brings Him the most glory. 

If I get a computer, He will be glorified through it.  If I give the money away, He will be glorified in it.  I just want to be sure to do whatever brings Him the MOST glory possible!   It's kind of a battle between wanting so much to DO what I can for Him, knowing that He desire more for me (us) to just BE with Him and BE available to Him.  He doesn't need us to DO anything.  He doesn't need our money to accomplish His will.  He just wants US, and to be available and obedient.  It sounds simple, but there's a part of me that feels like Bilbo Baggins wanting to storm the enemy with my little dagger, just because I love Him, no matter what happens!

I wish I was better with words so I could express what I feel so strongly, in a way that folks might understand.  I haven't lost the plot, I assure you!