• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  733
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,017
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/09/1966

LOL.....sounds like you are blessed my friend. I must admit i am not familiar  with Mac products,but have replace some components/graphics card/harddrive ect. on my PC.

I'm definitely blessed.  Of course, if I had my way, I'd be living in a small log cabin in the mountains of Wyoming, with a dog, a horse, a stream, a garden and a way to make money working online.  But, God has seen fit to keep this country guy in the big city.  Yes, you may pray for me. 

LOL...believe it or not I could build a computer  case for you out of lincoln logs.

Sure, throw in a Lite Brite for a monitor and a See-N-Say speaker system and I'm set!  When the cow says, "Moooo!" I can draw it on my monitor with glowing pegs.  You'll have to throw in the extra RAM of an Easy Bake Oven though, if you expect to compete with my iMac.

There you go, just like some of my friends who get so excited about building a computer they do it for nothing. I never let them go unpaid though.

Or hungry.  It doesn't do to let folks go hungry.  I love to cook.  Forgive me, Lord, but I can make a chicken pot pie so good it'll bring Jesus back early.

By the way, I've never heard of anyone building their own Mac.  PC, yes.  But a Mac?  I would imagine my parts are pretty well worn out after all these years.  Same for my computer.

I used to hate computers with a passion that burned deep within my soul and had the intensity of two-thousand burning suns.  They needed replacing every two years, constantly had error messages that would freeze the whole computer, required a dozen clicks to do anything, and were so expensive you never really quit paying for them because of the need for expensive yearly subscriptions for antivirus, spyware, etc.,

When I was in the market for a new computer in 2007, and had expressed my loathing of the prospect of getting another one, someone recommended switching to Apple.  Oddly, it never occurred to me so I researched it.  I do that, you know.  I can research heart surgery to the point that I can perform it by the time I'm done.

When I went to Apple Forums, presented my dilemma, and asked for help, I was welcomed like a favorite uncle bearing gifts.  Apple-onians were excited that I was checking them out and were very patient in answering all of my questions, sending me their personal email addresses if I should ever need help, lessons, etc.,  They explained that Apple isn't for everyone but they were there if I needed them.

When I went to PC Forums, presented my dilemma, and asked for help, I was welcomed like the crazy aunt who reeked of Patchouli and wanted to kiss you on the lips and pinch your cheeks.  PC-ites seethed with their detest for Apple and called me names like "traitor" and "moron." 

The difference between the two communities at that time really was like that.  Once I got my iMac, I fell in love with drag and drop, and one click to do everything.  I paid for the computer and was done paying.  No annual anti-virus, spyware, etc., subscriptions.  No need for them.  Apple was for me and kept me from regressing back into the 17th century. 

I understand that things have changed since then, and I'm glad there's relative peace between the Hac-rosofts and McMacs now.  Different users have different needs.  But, it's Mac for me.  I tell people that, when you buy a PC, it's like buying a car... and having to push it everywhere you go.  Buying a Mac is like getting a chauffer with the car.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  27
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,715
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

macs, in the old days, were impossible to home build because of all the proprietary hardware and software. They worked off of a special kind of processor, which, other then apple, wasn't available to the common man. PowerPC, which is the technology it was based on-was solid, but expensive, it was used by big servers and super computers such as IBMs AS400, but to the common user, the mac was the only way you could get such a chip. It was not windows compatible (could be used by mac, unix, linux etc) but not by windows based PCs as the CPUs used by them used a different style architecture.

Modern Macs, switched from PowerPC technology, to Intel based platflorms-so now, yes, you could "technically" build a PC and install macintosh onto it, but they still use a lot of proprietary hardware, making it difficult to do so, and obtaining a legal copy of the OS is, well, just as difficult unless your going for a server. Which is why most custom PC builders, such as my self, use windows, or if they don't want windows, use a Linux variant (Linux is free by the way, and far better the windows are macintosh but hey) and even some of the more "geeky" ones use Unix or Dos. Or even a combination of the above.

• Followers:  70
  • Topic Count:  340
  • Topics Per Day:  0.09
  • Content Count:  16,834
  • Content Per Day:  4.70
  • Days Won:  81
  • Birthday:  04/02/2000

You should ask God.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

buy a new computer, donate the old one to someone who could use it!

Exactly what I was going to answer as I read down this thread!

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,260
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

As I've been thinking about this, I wanted to clarify something that's important to me.

This thread is not a veiled attempt to show how "wonderful" I am in any way.  I assure you... wonderful I am not!  Yes, I'm seeking God over this and will obey whatever the answer is.  But, I'm very sincere when I ask for your thoughts on this because I really do want to buy a new computer.  I've had computers that couldn't be updated anymore and it's a nightmare.  This one is getting there. 

In the natural, this is very likely the only time I'll have the money in one lump sum in order to buy a new computer.  But, Christianity isn't lived in the natural.  We don't think and operate the way the world does because of who God is.  It's because of that, that I would rather use the money towards eternal things, honoring God and blessing others. 

If anything, this is showing me how weak my faith really is, which is humbling.  Knowing God as my Provider, like I do, how could I waver with not using my tax return to bless others?  If I need a new computer, God's capable of providing one, isn't He?  Of course!  He's not subject to my financial situation, the economy, or anything else!  Right now I feel like I'm failing the faith test. 

Have you considered that God may have worked out the tax return just for your computer that you need.    God is your provider.

Have you considered that God may have worked out the tax return just for your computer that you need.    God is your provider.

The honest answer?  No, I didn't. 

All of the responses folks have shared here have been really helpful.  Seriously.  When you get older, you find that, whether you intended to or not, you've developed a set pattern in the way you think and act.  Like I said, I've had this in prayer for a month because I couldn't stop thinking about it.  Normally, I can take a situation that's on my mind and release it to Him in prayer.  Since I couldn't do that this time, I figured He wanted me to get brotherly counsel and learn from it.

So, I thank everyone for their time and patience to share their wisdom with me.  It's good to shake things up a bit now and then, instead of falling into a rut.   A rut, after all, is just a grave with the two ends knocked out. 

macs, in the old days, were impossible to home build because of all the proprietary hardware and software. They worked off of a special kind of processor, which, other then apple, wasn't available to the common man. PowerPC, which is the technology it was based on-was solid, but expensive, it was used by big servers and super computers such as IBMs AS400, but to the common user, the mac was the only way you could get such a chip. It was not windows compatible (could be used by mac, unix, linux etc) but not by windows based PCs as the CPUs used by them used a different style architecture.

Modern Macs, switched from PowerPC technology, to Intel based platflorms-so now, yes, you could "technically" build a PC and install macintosh onto it, but they still use a lot of proprietary hardware, making it difficult to do so, and obtaining a legal copy of the OS is, well, just as difficult unless your going for a server. Which is why most custom PC builders, such as my self, use windows, or if they don't want windows, use a Linux variant (Linux is free by the way, and far better the windows are macintosh but hey) and even some of the more "geeky" ones use Unix or Dos. Or even a combination of the above.

So, I won't need Legos?

I'm impressed by your knowledge of technology.  Your skills certainly won't become obsolete, especially with the plethora of $10 words you know.  I understand what you said in skeletal form, but the details escape me.  When I worked in banking and the Federal Reserve, they were on PCs and would sell the old parts to employees who wanted to build their own.  I considered it for a few days back then but, I figured the Etch-a-Sketch monitor would get too heavy to keep shaking every time I wanted to go to a new screen.