IGNORED

It what ways is saying the word "Good" sinful?

LemonDrops

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  10
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Lately I've been doing research to determine what words/phrases I need to avoid because they are cursing, using the Lord's name in vain, profanity etc. I came across a couple articles which say the word "good" is using His name in vain. One article in particular says that this is a euphemism for God and phrases like "Good-night" or even "goodness me" are sinful to use. Now I'm worrying about every time I use the word "good." Is is wrong to say things like "Those pancakes look good" or "He is a good boyfriend?"

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,796
  • Content Per Day:  6.20
  • Days Won:  58

I think that is silly to view the word good as a substitute for the word God. To say good night and view it as taking His name in vain is far too legalistic and nonsensical. Whatever article you read, ignore it. Use the word good as much as you like.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

Lately I've been doing research to determine what words/phrases I need to avoid because they are cursing, using the Lord's name in vain, profanity etc. I came across a couple articles which say the word "good" is using His name in vain. One article in particular says that this is a euphemism for God and phrases like "Good-night" or even "goodness me" are sinful to use. Now I'm worrying about every time I use the word "good." Is is wrong to say things like "Those pancakes look good" or "He is a good boyfriend?"

Words have different meanings according to context. If whenever you say "those pancakes look good" and you don't literally mean "those pancakes are just like God" then you're fine. Christians should not be stupid or superstitious about things.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.92
  • Days Won:  3

I have never heard such a thing. Good is a word. Nothing more nothing less. It means what is means. Which is to say something is not Bad.  Look, it is even in the Bible.

God saw all that he had made, and it was very good. And there was evening, and there was morning--the sixth day. Genesis 1:31

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  406
  • Topics Per Day:  0.09
  • Content Count:  5,248
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  67

I think that is silly to view the word good as a substitute for the word God. To say good night and view it as taking His name in vain is far too legalistic and nonsensical. Whatever article you read, ignore it. Use the word good as much as you like.

That's a good reply  :thumbsup:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  4

The Bible does say there is none good but God

But good is one of those words that has multiple meaning

When we say God is Good , what we mean is God is perfect, and holy and righteous

When we say "These pancakes are good" it simply means we like the taste

Good night, simply means have a pleasant night although it could be analogius to God Bless....which means have a good night with God

Sin is always in the why...the motive, never in the what

So if in you're heart you are not using the word to blasepheme then you are not blasephemy

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,247
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

The archaic old English root of the word was God. But like many other words it has changed in meaning over 10 centuries. I get really irate with those who heap such legalism on people. They will have you so ensnarled that you aren't allowed to talk. It is good to use the word good. Otherwise the Bible would not tell you to think on whatsoever things are good and of good report.

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  10
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Sorry to take so long to reply. I've done some more research since then and am wondering if maybe that article meant expressions like "Good night" are inappropriate as an interjection to show exasperation like "Good grief!"

The other thing I wonder is if it could be using the Lord's name in vain if you're saying that God give them a good night when you don't really mean it. Sort of like saying "God bless you" when someone sneezes but you're just saying it out of habit, not hoping they'll be blessed.

God says not to take HIS NAME in vain. He doesn't say we can't take night in vain. He doesn't say we can't take grief in vain. He doesn't even say we can't take gracious in vain. He says not to take HIS NAME in vain.

that means you don't use His name irreverently. you don't use it frivolously. you don't use it carelessly. you don't say "oh my god" or scream the name of Jesus as if it were a cuss word.

hearing God's name spoken in vain is one of my pet peeves. one of my other ones is hearing people people attribute holiness to words that are not holy by complaining that a non-holy word is a substitute for God and therefore extrapolating that to be taking His name in vain. it's not.

so say oh my goodness all you want.

Sorry to take so long to reply. I've done some more research since then and am wondering if maybe that article meant expressions like "Good night" are inappropriate as an interjection to show exasperation like "Good grief!"

The other thing I wonder is if it could be using the Lord's name in vain if you're saying that God give them a good night when you don't really mean it. Sort of like saying "God bless you" when someone sneezes but you're just saying it out of habit, not hoping they'll be blessed.

there is a difference between an interjection and a euphemism. an interjection is a word uttered as an interruption to speech, often in surprise. a euphemism is word substitute.