• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,491
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/02/1971

I just read over 125 billionaires have signed the giving pledge, pledging to give away at least 50% of their total wealth.

If I had a billion dollars, I'd enjoy giving away more than 50%.

I'd give my kids a couple of million each, set aside ten million for me and the misses, then travel the world looking for individual people to help.

Lol that brings up one point I was thinking. It seems common place for many rich people to set up a foundation in their own name. I guess they want their name to live longer than they physically can. Never understood why would I care about my name, especially after I've died? Lol

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

To be very honest if I had the choice of being in the 1% or the 99%, I would choose the 1%. Do I love money? Those who know me well enough will tell you no. 

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,875
  • Content Per Day:  0.70
  • Days Won:  9

I just read over 125 billionaires have signed the giving pledge, pledging to give away at least 50% of their total wealth.

If I had a billion dollars, I'd enjoy giving away more than 50%.

I'd give my kids a couple of million each, set aside ten million for me and the misses, then travel the world looking for individual people to help.

Lol that brings up one point I was thinking. It seems common place for many rich people to set up a foundation in their own name. I guess they want their name to live longer than they physically can. Never understood why would I care about my name, especially after I've died? Lol

I am somewhat guessing on this. A foundation often has money raising events. Foundation formed by the wealthy, will often have events inviting the wealthy to contribute. In that case, having the name of a well known wealthy person as the name of the foundation probably instills trust, or significance to the people most likely to contribute large sums.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  4

you want some, go earn some

I will not chase after mammon

To be very honest if I had the choice of being in the 1% or the 99%, I would choose the 1%. Do I love money? Those who know me well enough will tell you no. 

Not sure if I would choose to be in that 1% or not, I am quite content to be in the 99%. I am considered in poverty in my own country, but I am probably quite rich by world standards. If I were to choose between the upper 1% or the lower 1%, I am quite confident I would opt for the upper - I could always give wealth away and stop short of giving away 'too much'. 

What I wonder is, if the wealth of the upper 1% were distributed evenly among the world population, would that change things much?

In any case, I suspect Jesus  was quite right when He said:

"The poor you will always have with you, and you can help them any time you want."

It is not our place to be concerned with those in the upper 1%, it is our place to be concerned about the poor. Are we?

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  684
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  2

Americans are already the global top 1% in terms of income.

Just need $34,000 a year to qualify, according to 2012 statistics. Over 50% of the world's top 1% earners are in America.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2082385/We-1--You-need-34k-income-global-elite--half-worlds-richest-live-U-S.html

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,264
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Question????    it is really true????

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,059
  • Content Per Day:  13.90
  • Days Won:  0

I just find this so sad.  This is definitely a group of people who need our prayers.

Richest 1% to own more than rest of world, Oxfam says

The wealthiest 1% will soon own more than the rest of the world's population, according to a study by anti-poverty charity Oxfam.

The charity's research shows that the share of the world's wealth owned by the richest 1% increased from 44% in 2009 to 48% last year.

On current trends, Oxfam says it expects the wealthiest 1% to own more than 50% of the world's wealth by 2016.

(article continued at the link above.)

Jesus said, "For it is easier for a camel to enter in {to go} through a needle's eye, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God."

The rich are to be pitied.  Too often I believe we envy the rich their wealth, or lack of hurdles to jump over in life.  That viewpoint is short-sided missing the goal of this life.  I wasn't saved so I could be wealthy.