IGNORED

The most difficult obstacle you've faced in your walk with Jesus?

alisonm328

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  25
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/28/1989

The most difficult obstacle you've faced in your walk with Jesus that he helped you overcome... I'm struggling with a stubborn sin and really need inspiration. I love hearing about what God has done for people. I can't wait to be free of this! On my own I fail at breaking this habit of mine so I'm so ready and patiently waiting for his help. What amazing thing has God done for you?

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  195
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

I think the most difficult obstacle I have had, is realising just how much God loves me, He showed me this when I was a young person (I have put a brief testimony on my profile page) but its something that I have still have had  to learn as I have grown up and I still need to be continually reminded of it day by day in my walk with him.

Love overcomes all things, I use to think of God as being this all seeing all knowing critical person in heaven waiting to zap me if I did something wrong and my faith in God was 

driven by performance and fear.

But over the years as I have come to realise GOD IS LOVE, it has changed my perspective on so many things.  Love begets love, if someone loves you, you want to return that

love, you do things out of a different motive, because you want to, not because you have to.

I honesty believe that really understanding this is the key to overcoming so many things in our lives.  

God bless

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  701
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,511
  • Content Per Day:  1.34
  • Birthday:  02/18/1955

The most difficult obstacle I've faced in my walk with Jesus is myself.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  136
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

I agree. I've had delusions of grandeur regarding myself. I wouldn't say I quite reached the point where I thought God was blessed to have me in His Kingdom, but I certainly was lacking in humility. Now, I'm astounded that the God of the Universe would love someone like me, and I'm so grateful. I believe the greater you are aware of your sin, the more gratitude you have for His grace and mercy, and the more you'll grow to hate that sin, because your (and my) sin put Jesus on the cross.

One thing that may help you is a book by Erwin Lutzer. This is one of the most convicting books I've ever read. "How to Say No to a Stubborn Habit."

http://www.amazon.com/How-Say-No-Stubborn-Habit/dp/1564763315/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1422890481&sr=8-3-fkmr0&keywords=erwin+lutzer+how+to+get+rid+of+a+stubborn+habit

It looks like it's out of print, but you could buy it used through Amazon as well. Also, it looks like an updated version is "Getting to No: How to Break a Stubborn Habit" This one also has a Kindle version

http://www.amazon.com/Getting-No-Break-Stubborn-Habit-ebook/dp/B005MT8PQU/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422890481&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=erwin+lutzer+how+to+get+rid+of+a+stubborn+habit

Hope this helps. God bless you!

Sorry - after I posted this, I noticed that you were in the UK. I checked, and the updated and Kindle versions are also available on Amazon's UK site as well

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss/280-0046645-9008105?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=erwin%20lutzer%20getting%20to%20no

Edited by Blue Moon

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  701
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,511
  • Content Per Day:  1.34
  • Birthday:  02/18/1955

I agree. I've had delusions of grandeur regarding myself....

My problem is a lot simpler: I'm Italian.

And Stratford, Connecticut is not in the UK, but the USA. The English settlers who first came here established a small theocracy that didn't take as we are the home of the American Shakespeare Theater, something they would have never approved of.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Took the words out of my mouth......

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  267
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,225
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

Hi alisonm328,

That is my story too - getting over myself with all its carnal wants & selfish habits. As my husband says, "Life is a process of letting go..." (& receiving more of Christ).

Marilyn

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

Took the words out of my mouth......

Mine also.  There really is something to the saying that we are our worst enemy.

• Topic Count:  733
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,017
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/09/1966

The most difficult obstacle you've faced in your walk with Jesus that he helped you overcome... I'm struggling with a stubborn sin and really need inspiration. I love hearing about what God has done for people. I can't wait to be free of this! On my own I fail at breaking this habit of mine so I'm so ready and patiently waiting for his help. What amazing thing has God done for you?

I'm a pretty straight forward person, especially when it comes to confronting and fighting sin. 

With that said, beating any sin, including addiction, is possible if people want to badly enough.  We need to want Jesus more, and that starts with first admitting that we love our sin more.

Then we have to prepare for battle.  DO THE HARD THING and turn the TV, phone, gadgets and computer off.  Put aside your recreation and get alone with God. Dig in your heels and seek Him like a dying man seeks his next breath.  Get in the scriptures.  Fifteen minute morning/evening "devotionals" isn't going to cut it.  That's like taking one cooking class and believing you're ready to be a chef.  Devour the scriptures, pour your heart out in prayer and seek His FACE.  Seek HIM.  And wait on Him.  Give Him time to speak.  Remind Him of His promises.  Persist like the woman did with the unjust judge until you experience the victory. 

Professing Christians (speaking in general here, not specifically to Alison) need to stop expecting a Microwave Christianity where everything happens for them quickly.  Our way doesn't work.  We've already proven that.  Trust that God knows your needs and wants to help you even more than you want to BE helped.  Trust HIS timing.  Let HIM work things into, and out of, you in the process!   Don't expect/demand the results you want in a day or two.  It's a race, continually run.  DO the hard thing and put aside the things of this world and get on YOUR face to seek HIS.