IGNORED

Subtraction of some verses from the Bible, why and who is to be blamed

opportunitykenny

My prayer is that God will help us to make His Spirit guides us....

in everything we do in words and actions in Jesus name....

~

In

Thy word is true from the beginning: and every one of thy righteous judgments endureth for ever. Psalms 119:160

Truth

Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee. Psalms 119:11

And In Spirit

It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life. John 6:63

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  149
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/16/1980

Onelight, dont you think statement of observation is required from me? I need to do that simply because I was the one who asked the question and people need to be given chances to respond. From their responses I got the right answers, observation is a useful means of knowing better. Thanks; God bless.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

Onelight, dont you think statement of observation is required from me? I need to do that simply because I was the one who asked the question and people need to be given chances to respond. From their responses I got the right answers, observation is a useful means of knowing better. Thanks; God bless.

No, not required at all.  Your post was analyzing the people who commented, not the scripture they offer or any answer to your question.  In doing so, you changed the whole course of the discussion from your questions in the OP to the question about "how many christians will willingly accept it if he or she discovers that what he or she knows is false after 40years?".

Perhaps your last question deserves its own thread?

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  336
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

Good day to you all. Revelation 22:18-19 talk about curses for those that add or subtract from the word of God.

Nonetheless, Act 8vs37, 15vs34, 24vs7, 28vs29; Mattew 17 vs 21

Mattew 18 vs 11

Mattew 23 vs. 14

Mark 9vs44;

Mark 9vs46, 11vs26, 15vs28; Luke 17vs36

John 5vs4; Romans 16vs24 are missing in NIV and Good News.

1. Why these subtractions in NIV and Good News?

2. Who are the culprits

3. How do we rectify it?

4. What should we do as christians.

You actually start with a common mistake. That passage only refers to revelation. It does not refer to the entire bible. We need to remember how the bible came about. It was not complete when revelation was written.

This is a mistake in reasoning with God's Word as the Revelation in context

takes us into the eternal state and in that contextual flow lies the great

seal of God's Word and intent for eternity... there is nothing that can be

added past the Revelation and that is where the seal is placed! Love, Steven

Who said anything about adding? Fact is the bible as we know it today did not exist when revelation was written. It is not reasonable or logical to assume it should apply to other books especially since some of them had not been accepted as scripture at that point in time. All the passage means is not to add or subtract to the book of revelation. No more, no less.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,374
  • Content Per Day:  7.99
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

Good day to you all. Revelation 22:18-19 talk about curses for those that add or subtract from the word of God.

Mattew 18 vs 11

Mattew 23 vs. 14

Mark 9vs44;

2. Who are the culprits

3. How do we rectify it?

You actually start with a common mistake. That passage only refers to revelation. It does not refer to the entire bible. We need to remember how the bible came about. It was not complete when revelation was written.

Who said anything about adding? Fact is the bible as we know it today did not exist when revelation was written. It is not reasonable or logical to assume it should apply to other books especially since some of them had not been accepted as scripture at that point in time. All the passage means is not to add or subtract to the book of revelation. No more, no less.

It is always amusing when one is quoted and then content is not addressed :) Love, Steven

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  149
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  05/16/1980

"No, not required at all. Your post was analyzing the people who commented, not the scripture they offer or any answer to your question. In doing so, you changed the whole course of the discussion from your questions in the OP to the question about "how many christians will willingly accept it if he or she discovers that what he or she knows is false after 40years?"".

Thank you OneLight, God bless you.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  15
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  04/26/1977

Mattew 18 vs 11

Mattew 23 vs. 14

Mark 9vs44;

2. Who are the culprits

3. How do we rectify it?

Dear Kenny,

My personal take on some of your questions are as follows.

I suspect that the concept of “adding” or “taking away” from God’s word (cf. Rev. 22.18-19) involves a deliberate attempt to seek to twist or change what God has said.  Some people knowingly distort the teaching of Scripture.  This verse applies, I think, to them.

As for your question about “subtractions”, I think we need to be careful about using terms like “subtractions” too freely.  To class, say, the absence of John 5.4 as a “subtraction” is to presuppose that the original text of John contained 5.4 and that certain Bible-versions have then “omitted” it.  But, of course, we can’t do that without prejudging the issue.  We need to consider the available manuscripts insofar as we’re able to do so and then think about which reading is most likely to be the original.

I’m not sure if that makes any sense.  Hopefully so,

James.

You actually start with a common mistake....

That passage only refers to revelation. It does not refer to the entire bible....

We need to remember how the bible came about. It was not complete....

when revelation was written....

:thumbsup:

Way

Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you. Deuteronomy 4:2

Back

Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him. Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar. Proverbs 30:5-6

Yonder

Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost. 2 Peter 1:20-21

Beloved

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  336
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

Mattew 18 vs 11

Mattew 23 vs. 14

Mark 9vs44;

2. Who are the culprits

3. How do we rectify it?

It is always amusing when one is quoted and then content is not addressed :) Love, Steven

So you find it amusing that you quoted me and did not address my comments? I'm confused. You made a comment which had already been made and provided nothing new at all to address what I have said. 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  1,393
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  4

IMO these subtractions came during the period that Arianism was in control of the Church; around the 300 to 400 AD, period. 

But others will tell you verses were added by men like Priscillian who supposedly added Much of I John 5:7 around 350 AD.  But the problem with this is that Cyprian quotes all of I John 5:7 in 250 AD.  That would be 100 years before the suppose addition.

2. Who are the culprits

IMO the culprits of this subtraction is the enemy the devil and his demons.  For we see in the Garden of Eden, the serpent attacked Eve, by questioning what God had commanded her and Adam.  ...Yea, hath God said, ... Genesis 3:1.  If you take a look at your footnotes in              Mark 16:9-20; John 7:53-8:11 in the NIV you will see that they question rather these total of 24 verses were added to the Bible.

3. How do we rectify it?

I think that Paul would tells us, to speak the Word of God with sincerity.  For we are not as many, which corrupt the word of God: but as of sincerity, but as of God, in the sight of God speak we in Christ.  II Corinthians 2:17

4. What should we do as Christians?

I believe these verses have been subtracted from the newer translations; but many sincere Christian believe these verses are additions.   All we can do is try to convince each other of what we believe to be the true Word of God, and let the Holy Spirit direct the believer as to what translation the individual uses.