• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  149
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/16/1980

Good day to you all. Revelation 22:18-19 talk about curses for those that add or subtract from the word of God.

Nonetheless, Act 8vs37, 15vs34, 24vs7, 28vs29; Mattew 17 vs 21

Mattew 18 vs 11

Mattew 23 vs. 14

Mark 9vs44;

Mark 9vs46, 11vs26, 15vs28; Luke 17vs36

John 5vs4; Romans 16vs24 are missing in NIV and Good News.

1. Why these subtractions in NIV and Good News?

2. Who are the culprits

3. How do we rectify it?

4. What should we do as christians.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  336
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

Good day to you all. Revelation 22:18-19 talk about curses for those that add or subtract from the word of God.

Mattew 18 vs 11

Mattew 23 vs. 14

Mark 9vs44;

2. Who are the culprits

3. How do we rectify it?

You actually start with a common mistake. That passage only refers to revelation. It does not refer to the entire bible. We need to remember how the bible came about. It was not complete when revelation was written. 

1. Why the subtractions? That is rather simple. There are various choices of manuscripts available to use for translation purposes. There are different arguments to support the use of each one. Generally people have a pre-formed opinion and side with the argument that supports that view.

Also the Good News version is designed to be easily read by children and as a result some compromises are made. 

3. Do we need to rectify it? Who is right and who is wrong? Can one really answer that question without being biased?  There are different methods of translation. Some do word for word which sound like a good idea but the drawback is that they can lose the actual meaning of the passage. So the solution was to look at the meaning of the passage and translate it. Of course there are problems with that too. 

4. As christians we should read the bible and ask for the spirit to guide us into truth. The bible is a useful tool but it is not God. I think we often forget that.

2. You can look for people to blame if you really want but I think it is a waste of time. I think if one looks at any translation of the bible accepted by all mainstream denominations then I am confident that all the translators had the best intentions and were not trying to come up with a con job.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  2,375
  • Content Per Day:  0.63
  • Days Won:  1

Hi Kenny,

There is a long-held and heated debate over which translations are best. I’m keeping my answers simple – maybe oversimplified - so as to give an overview. You asked, “Why these subtractions in NIV and Good News?”

The reason is that they are translated from different groups of texts. About 95% of manuscripts fall into the first group containing the “Majority Text” and “Received Text” – often called “Byzantine”. The remaining 5% of Bible manuscripts contain ‘other’ texts and are generally called “Alexandrian”.

Most modern translations are derived from a standardised version of Alexandrian manuscripts. At the time of inception, they were believed by some to be more legitimate because the oldest known manuscript fragments were Alexandrian.

“Who are the culprits”

There are theories that scribes in Egypt changed parts they didn’t like – resulting in the earliest Alexandrian texts.

In the late 1800s, two ministers, Westcott and Hort, published a standardised version of the Alexandrian texts.

Because the Alexandrian manuscripts had the oldest known fragments at the time, many Bible publishers were convinced to use this standard version as the basis for their translations.

“How do we rectify it?”

Some of these translations have “Revised Editions” that fix the most obvious discrepancies, and others have notes that point out the differences.

We can be aware (and teach our people) that the content of these modern versions dilutes certain doctrines (by-&-large, the changes represent omissions of information rather than doctrinal alterations – so what is there is still predominantly the Word of God; just not all of God’s word).

“What should we do as christians”

If you are concerned, stick to a Byzantine translation such as the KJV or NKJV.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,602
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  01/01/1986

Mattew 18 vs 11

Mattew 23 vs. 14

Mark 9vs44;

2. Who are the culprits

3. How do we rectify it?

May I ask if you are a KJV only person? 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

2. Who are the culprits

3. How do we rectify it?

1.  There are over 50 translation of the Bible into English (alone)...I just looked it up...knowing there were plenty, so that should keep us busy...Good News is one of the worst BTW

2. There is a list of the translators in front of each Bible version.   That's a start

3. Perhaps a crusade?  Or pull them from library shelves?  Mind you, even the very best of the best translations may not be perfect; which is one reason someone else 

always assumes they could do better

4.  Nothing.  It's too late.  They have gone out into all the world.

However, if one accepts Christ as their Savior, and believes they are reconciled to God through Him, we are assured we have salvation...one office of the Holy Spirit is

to lead us into all truth, so no matter what version...whether added or subracted to...we can trust God to keep us.  Bibles do not save us.  The only One who saves us,

is the One who has revealed Himself to us in the Bible.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

Mattew 18 vs 11

Mattew 23 vs. 14

Mark 9vs44;

Those are all very good questions which Christians should have been asking all along.  Most Christians (even pastors and teachers) have not done their due diligence regarding this, and therefore modern bible versions (perversions) have flourished.  Almost all Christians today believe that the modern versions are (a) superior to the KJV and (b) more understandable than the KJV.  Neither is true. Since I have done the necessary research, I can answer your questions with confidence.

Firstly, it is not just the NIV or the GNB which have these omissions. ALL modern "bibles" since 1881 have them.  And they are not just a few either. There are hundreds of verses and thousands of words omitted.  Omissions are predominant, but there are also additions, transpositions, and substitutions.  All are mutilations of Scripture, and forbidden by God.

2. Who are the culprits

Firstly the Gnostic heretics who deliberately mutilated the Scriptures.

Secondly the rationalistic scholars who promoted the corrupted texts (primarily two ancient manuscripts)

Thirdly the translators who believed the lies about the altered texts

Fourthly the Christian leaders who believed the lies and promoted modern versions.

3. How do we rectify it?

It is too late to "rectify" the damage.  The only thing you can do is discard all modern versions and use the old (1611) King James Bible exclusively, along with the Greek Textus Receptus (Stephen's edition of 1550 A.D.) and Strong's Exhaustive Concordance.  Even the New King James Bible has been corrupted.

Help other Christians to understand that all the changes to the modern versions are basically an attack on almost all Bible doctrines, particularly the doctrine of Christ and the doctrine of the inspiration and inerrrancy of Scripture.

I realize that I am in the minority and that "King James - onlyism" is considered an aberration by the majority.  To some it is almost a cult.  And there is no question that people like Peter Ruckman and Gail Ripplinger have brought a lot of negativity to this position.  Nonetheless the truth is always stronger than the lie.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

You actually start with a common mistake. That passage only refers to revelation. It does not refer to the entire bible. We need to remember how the bible came about. It was not complete when revelation was written.

Here we go.  Instead of upholding the fundamental Divine principle that Scripture cannot and must no be altered, we have this comment above.  And Revelation COMPLETES  Scripture, so your comment is incorrect to begin with. That was the whole point of the warning in Revelation.  There will be no more Divine revelations from God.  Scripture is complete. Do not tamper with the Word of God. You will pay for mutilating Scripture.  So that is not "a common mistake" but a proper application of Scripture.

However what is stated in Rev 22:18,19 is a general principle applicable to the whole Word of God.  This principle was stated in the Torah a long time ago, and reiterated throughout Scripture (Deut 4:2; 12:32; Prov 30:6).  Since "EVERY WORD of God is pure..." (Prov 30:5) and "Man shall not live by bread alone, but by EVERY WORD that proceedeth out of the mouth of God" (Mt 4:4) it should be evident that every Hebrew and Greek word is critical -- indeed every jot and tittle (Mt 5:18) -- which refers to the smallest Hebrew markings in the OT.

Edited by Ezra

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  149
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  05/16/1980

I am indeed very fascinated and happy by the response of everyone who has posted here. God bless you in Jesus name. I still expect more as I am learning increasingly. Thanks, God bless

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  8
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  10/25/1989

I would argue that the 17 verses omitted from the NIV should each be examined. It's to general to say that they took them out because of the difference of manuscript and to make it easier to read. 

For instance, while many of the verses are trivial and not necessarily "big deals," Mark 11:26 in the KJV states

But if ye do not forgive, neither will your Father which is in heaven forgive your trespass.

This is an important verse and is taken out of the Bible. Regardless of what Revelation says, this verse should reach everyone who reads. 

Matthew 18:11 (KJV)

For the Son of man is come to save that which was lost.

Yet another verse omitted completely. 

There are 15 other verses omitted. If you've never seen it, there is a number for the verse and no writing. 

I personally feel that this is a disgrace. On top of omissions, there are translations that attack Jesus Himself. For instance, Isaiah 14:12 (KJV) tells of Lucifer, "son of the morning!" falling from heaven. 

The NIV calls him the "morning star." 

Simple. Right? Just one problem...

Revelation 22:16 (KJV) tells us clearly that Jesus is the morning star. It reads:

I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star.

So the KJV establishes that Jesus is "the morning star" and that the Satan is the "son of the morning." The NIV tells us that "the morning star" was cast down to earth. 

Anyone who says that the differences between the versions are trivial and are unimportant are ignorant to the facts.

Of course, I would urge you to take the scriptures I've given here and research it yourself. I've done it many times and come to the same conclusion. That conclusion is this...

The Bible told us what would happen in the end days. It talked of false prophets and false doctrines. Many pastors today are preaching that once you're saved you can live however you want and keep the grace of God through Jesus Christ. Does this sound logical to you? Do you think the experts employed by King James made mistakes of this magnitude? 

Isn't it more probable that the Devil is behind this? He's attacking the church piece by piece. 

Pray and ask God for discernment and He will grant it to you. Read the scriptures I've supplied here. Read the entire books if you'd like for complete context.

God bless you all!

With love,

Russell.