IGNORED

Appearance of evil

Alex Summers

Guest shiloh357

That is true, Morning Glory, but that is not the issue.  If you have not done anything to compromise your testimony, and people still speak evil of you, so be it.   But  if you are living in a way that people can LEGITIMATELY call your character into question and it brings reproach on to Christ, it is different.

Appearances are important because we are being watched, particularly if we have professed Christ at work or around unbelieving relatives.   Everything we do and say is under the microscope whether we are willing to face up to it. 

So yes, people will speak ill of us no matter what.   It's just a matter of not giving them something to use legitimately.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

But we are not speaking of living in a way that would give credence to the belief a person is doing evil

It is about how things appear and it is becoming evident that subjective is an understatement IMO

Guest shiloh357

Alex, I am not ignoring greed or gluttony.  Not at all    But you define "greed" as having an expensive car.   Gluttony is a lack of self-control with food.  No one has ignored either one of those.   That's pathetically weak response.

And yes your generation as A LOT of issues with sex, particularly  with the issues of sex before/outside of marriage, homosexuality, transsexuality and so on.  These are huge issues for your generation.   It's no just materialism.

Question though Shiloh if you don't mind

How is that you can be such a stickler for scripture and yet say you don't care if the verse says appearance or form of evil?

I am genuinely asking in the interst of an honest discussion

thanks

Guest shiloh357

Avoiding the appearance of evil is not subjective at all.  I have endeavored to explain what I mean in order to not be subjective.  "Evil"  is moral evil or "sin" as defined by Scripture.  That should go without saying.  I am no talking about personal or cultural definitions of evil

Alex, I am not ignoring greed or gluttony.  Not at all    But you define "greed" as having an expensive car.   Gluttony is a lack of self-control with food.  No one has ignored either one of those.   That's pathetically weak response.

And yes your generation as A LOT of issues with sex, particularly  with the issues of sex before/outside of marriage, homosexuality, transsexuality and so on.  These are huge issues for your generation.   It's no just materialism.

uh...when I read the Bible it seems Alex's generation has alot in common with characters from Genesis right through the NT

Alex's response is not weak...what you do not seem to understand, is that that is his LEGITIMATE response...whether you agree or not, that is how he views it

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  128
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/14/1958

Generally what I said is true.  I didn't say everyone, but it is the overall tone of culture and it is becoming more and more prevalent in the church, as more and more Christians become liberal in their morality and theology.

Agreed.  I have worked quite a number of churches as a 'worship-musician-for-hire'.  I have encountered *preposterously* inappropriate language and holiness issues.  Prayer times become little more than giggle-fests for Jesus.  'Traditional' (conservative) churches and church traditions are sneered at.  "Freedom in Christ" in these churches essentially means there there are no lines to tow.  There is no sense of an obligation to holy living or propriety.

Avoiding the appearance of evil is not subjective at all.  I have endeavored to explain what I mean in order to not be subjective.  "Evil"  is moral evil or "sin" as defined by Scripture.  That should go without saying.  I am no talking about personal or cultural definitions of evil

um...I'm gasping for air  LOL!...be back later

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.10
  • Days Won:  78

Sevenseas, I agree it is good to avoid iffy situations, I guess again there will be some debate on what is iffy and what is not.

I find excessive and sometimes vulgar displays of wealth to be far more iffy and harmful to our witness than any innocent meal could ever be, but not many agree with me.

With my generation there is no assumption of sexual anything when you see two people of the opposite gender hanging out. I think that is a good thing, it is shameful a man and a woman cant be friends without everyone thinking the worst and their on church telling them they are wrong.

After reading this thread through, one thing sticks out to me.  You are trying to justify having dinner with this person by making other things way worse.  If you are truly innocent of any wrongdoing here and your spouse knows about it, then what are you trying to justify?  I guess I just don't get it.

Guest shiloh357

Appearance and form of evil, as I explained go hand in hand.  If I want to avoid any form of evil, like adultery, then I won't do anything that would appear adulterous.  If I am preaching against adultery, and then someone sees me having dinner one evening with a woman who is married to another man, then I have opened myself up to legitimate criticism and reproach.

The association maybe completely innocent and there is no romantic intention at all.   But the onlookers don't know that. People do think the worst of someone before they think the worst, so why give them ammunition?    Why put yourself in  compromising position where you will always have a question mark hanging over  you in the minds of others, no matter how hard you try to explain yourself.