ayin jade

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,799
  • Content Per Day:  6.19
  • Days Won:  58

What is worship? What does it mean to worship? In what way do you worship? Anything special you would like to say to this?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest shiloh357

In a broad sense, worship is not merely an event that occurs on Sunday morning.   Worship is a life of obedience and dependence upon God.   Worship encompasses every sphere of our lives.

With reference to Sunday worship services, I will say that there does seem to be some confusion about what kind of songs constitute worship.   The purpose behind worship is not about me.   Worship is about God.  it is about honoring Him  through acknowledging his power, glory, holiness, eternality, grace, righteousness and the love He has displayed through the redemptive work of Christ.

I have been disappointed at the way worship has been  turned into a circus in churches around our nation.   It has become more about performance and less about God.  I am also disturbed by the way so many worship songs are written with romantic terminology as if God was someone we are supposed to snuggle up with on the couch.  

I have also noticed in some cases, such what happens in the "Jesus Culture" gatherings, worship becomes almost hypnotic.  Ethereal music playing in the background and worship leader and the crowd are just repeating the same five words over and over for 17 minutes.  It's not worship; it's hypnosis and Jesus Culture is a movement full of false doctrine, as part of the New Apostolic Reformation.  

We really need to get back to good solid biblically based worship, the kind of worship that is fitting to the Lord.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  269
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,231
  • Content Per Day:  3.48
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

Hi ayin jade,

I would say that to me worship is ` deep calling to deep,` ie from the depths of my being my spirit reaches out to God by His Spirit, anytime, anywhere. And when I am truly `focussed` or  `opening my self up` to God then I know that I am giving Him worship for He is worthy, of all our worth ship.

And Shiloh,

So true what you see & say. It is the `bride,`concept taken to romantic love & beyond. Those particular repetitions, I believe, induce a type of  trance & people then are opening themselves up to all sort of wrong influences. They are being taught that to experience God they have to come to the big gathering & that they will bring Jesus to earth. There are some good articles in `discernment ministries,`herescope, on this false teaching.

Marilyn.

Guest LadyC

worship is, or should be, more than just something we 'do'. it should be how we live.

years ago when mark and i were having problems, my mom came to visit. i was in such a deep depression i spent much of my time in bed or in tears. finally my mom got mad and told me to quit worshiping my husband. i looked at her like she was nuts. worshiping him? he was making me miserable! and then she pointed out that whatever you devote your time dwelling on, that is what you are worshiping.

and she was right. 

so what is worship? it is keeping Christ at the center of your thoughts. sure, it is thinking on God's word. it is communicating with him through prayer and song. but worship should be constant. if you're only spending time with Him in your thoughts for a few minutes in the morning and before meals, then you're probably worshiping your bills, your job and your daily errands more than God.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  225
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/29/1984

In the context as part of a service I love today's style of free flowing songs offering our hearts to God. The older hymns are so dreary and slow, not how I picture it from the Old Testament.

King David danced around the city praising and worshiping the Lord. I believe this is how worship should be, not standing still reading the words out of a book.

I also believe it is as much for us as it is for God. Worship should bring us closer to God, it should open our heart to Him. God does not need us to worship Him, but we surly need to worship Him!!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  230
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.95
  • Days Won:  14

To worship is to adore. We show our adoration of the Father and Jesus through song....all day long not just in church and through Bible reading and gathering together on Sunday when we with like believers adore the Father and Jesus in word and song.

Guest shiloh357

I will add to my previous comments the fact that 70% of the theology the average Christian receives in Church is through the music.  Worship leaders need to be theologians.  They need to know the Word of God and the content of our congregational worship needs to be strong in theological content.   Preaching, Sunday School, home group Bible studies, personal Bible studies account for 30% or less of where the average Christian gets their theological understanding.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

I will add to my previous comments the fact that 70% of the theology the average Christian receives in Church is through the music.  Worship leaders need to be theologians.  They need to know the Word of God and the content of our congregational worship needs to be strong in theological content.   Preaching, Sunday School, home group Bible studies, personal Bible studies account for 30% or less of where the average Christian gets their theological understanding.

Thank the Lord my church is not like that! To us the words preached by our leaders, the ideas and scriptures discussed in home groups, men's and woman's meetings, leaders meetings, deacons meetings, etc, is where most of the meat is in our church.

But God does inhabit the praises of His people!

Guest LadyC

Thank the Lord my church is not like that! To us the words preached by our leaders, the ideas and scriptures discussed in home groups, men's and woman's meetings, leaders meetings, deacons meetings, etc, is where most of the meat is in our church.

But God does inhabit the praises of His people!

me too! i don't think i'd stay in a church where the bulk of theology happened during the music.

Guest shiloh357

actually, you learn more through music than you think.  We are designed to learn more that way.   it's important that good theology be expressed through the music.   You retain information faster and longer when you learn through music.  That's why marketers and commercial designers use music.  You remember more that way.  It doesn't matter how much time is spent preaching or studying.   You will retain more through music.  Music impacts us far more than we are generally aware.

Worship needs to be at least as doctrinally centered as everything else.