• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  132
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  582
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/21/1969

Proverbs 19: 24

I always have to kind of laugh at this imagery.

'The slugged buries his hand in the dish, But will not even bring it back to his mouth.'

Now obviously nobody really does that, at least I don't think, so what exactly is the point here. ?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

LOL ... it could mean that a sluggard never follows through?

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68

To me it means that a lazy person is so lazy that they will not even feed themselves.

• 2 months later...

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  415
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  606
  • Content Per Day:  0.18

Proverbs 19: 24

I always have to kind of laugh at this imagery.

'The slugged buries his hand in the dish, But will not even bring it back to his mouth.'

Now obviously nobody really does that, at least I don't think, so what exactly is the point here. ?

It's not uncommon to observe. These people accumulate resource but are too lazy to utilize them. Packrats are an example.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  58
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

It could go further. Someone who reads the Scripture but doesn't try to figure out what God means. For instance, someone who is trying to use the Scriptures to win an election.

Proverbs 26:15 reiterates this. In both contexts, we find a common theme.

12Seest thou a man wise in his own conceit? there is more hope of a fool than of him.

13The slothful man saith, There is a lion in the way; a lion is in the streets.

14As the door turneth upon his hinges, so doth the slothful upon his bed.

15The slothful hideth his hand in his bosom; it grieveth him to bring it again to his mouth.

16The sluggard is wiser in his own conceit than seven men that can render a reason.

19A man of great wrath shall suffer punishment: for if thou deliver him, yet thou must do it again.

20Hear counsel, and receive instruction, that thou mayest be wise in thy latter end.

21There are many devices in a man's heart; nevertheless the counsel of the LORD, that shall stand.

22The desire of a man is his kindness: and a poor man is better than a liar.

23The fear of the LORD tendeth to life: and he that hath it shall abide satisfied; he shall not be visited with evil.

24A slothful man hideth his hand in his bosom, and will not so much as bring it to his mouth again.

25Smite a scorner, and the simple will beware: and reprove one that hath understanding, and he will understand knowledge.

26He that wasteth his father, and chaseth away his mother, is a son that causeth shame, and bringeth reproach.

27Cease, my son, to hear the instruction that causeth to err from the words of knowledge.

28An ungodly witness scorneth judgment: and the mouth of the wicked devoureth iniquity.

29Judgments are prepared for scorners, and stripes for the back of fools.

Both contexts show that this passage is not so much about a person being "lazy" but about a person who will not receive instruction in godliness for the sake of godliness. Being wise in our own eyes, we become fools. Even if we read the Word of God, we will not bring it back to our mouth. We have all been guilty of this. I'd be a liar if I said I have not been a fool. I would be a fool if I said I have not been a liar.

Have you ever seen a Republican try to use the Bible to explain why poor people need to work harder and work more hours? Or someone manage to use Scripture to explain why giving food to homeless people is wrong? Ironically, that seems to be who this passage is talking about. They have their hand IN THE BOWL and will not even bring it back to their mouth (eat the spiritual food). True wisdom has 2 sides. 

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.34
  • Days Won:  20

The sluggard is one who is extremely lazy, and laziness is condemned in Scripture.

One of the aspects of Christian laziness is not investing sufficient time and effort (using appropriate study tools) to search out the Scriptures daily.  Hence we have so many following erroneous beliefs or outright heresies.