missmuffet

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  597
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,106
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

I'd be OK with the totally computer operated plane, but with a Pilot and co pilot on the flight deck just in case. Though I think in some ways that would defeat the purpose and not bring savings to the customer.

This is currently how commercial airplanes are flown. After take off and landing it turns to autopilot, and the plane just direct itself to pre-set flight destination. Computers are good at doing repetitive tasks well, it is only when unforeseen variables and circumstances/malfunction pop-up you would need the judgement of a human to solve.

Pilot on commercial airliners pretty much just watch the plane fly itself, and only do manual operation if there is a problem, this isn't like driving where you have to keep hands on the steering wheel.

The autoland feature on airliners is used when the conditions are too bad for a human to safely land.

Before i retired I knew a couple of people who tested those systems for the FAA....   Both of them said it was really spooky to set in the pilot seat and watch the plane land itself.....   

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  597
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,106
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

yeah, that's my issue with it.  Hackers. 

A computerized plane that is absent a pilot is not only a disaster just waiting to happen, it is putting pilots out of work.

hackers may already be a problem..

• Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,710
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

yeah, that's my issue with it. Hackers.

A computerized plane that is absent a pilot is not only a disaster just waiting to happen, it is putting pilots out of work.

Hackers could disable a plane in flight now, this is nothing new.

Technology will always make jobs obsolete, that is no reason to stop its use. There good reason we no longer have elevator operators or phone operators or people who make buggy whips.

The Luddites have always tried to stop these changes.

technology didn't really make elevator operators go away, common sense did. I mean, why pay someone to push a button when anyone can do it for free? just saying. . . 

Guest shiloh357

It's one thing to make a job obsolete.   It is another thing to take away jobs where the human element is irreplaceable simply in the name of technology.   It's not about stopping change. It has a lot to do with the fact that humans are not irreplaceable.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  5
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

i agree.  machine can't replace human intuition