IGNORED

Why does God use the word "worthless" in the Bible?

missmuffet

What about those people who are disabled and can not work?

Are they worthless to God because they can not make a day's living?

:thumbsup:

To God

The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.

He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.

He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Psalms 23:1-3

They Are Priceless

But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

And He Is All They Will Ever Need

Whom have I in heaven but thee? and there is none upon earth that I desire beside thee.

My flesh and my heart faileth: but God is the strength of my heart, and my portion for ever. Psalms 73:25-26

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.34
  • Days Won:  20

What about those people who are disabled and can not work?Are they worthless to God because they can not make a days living?

Quite the opposite. They are there so that Christ can reach out to them through Christians.  See Acts 3:1-11.  The Lord said that when we make a feast we are to invite the disabled rather than those better off (Lk 14:12-14).  The worthless ones are self-condemned because they refuse to obey the Gospel, or they say there is no God (Jn 3:17-21).

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.75
  • Days Won:  226

What about those people who are disabled and can not work?Are they worthless to God because they can not make a days living?

Quite the opposite. They are there so that Christ can reach out to them through Christians.  See Acts 3:1-11.  The Lord said that when we make a feast we are to invite the disabled rather than those better off (Lk 14:12-14).  The worthless ones are self-condemned because they refuse to obey the Gospel, or they say there is no God (Jn 3:17-21).

Thanks Ezra.My son is disabled and when he reads those words in his Bible it makes him feel bad.

• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,864
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  2

Bo peep per this particular passage; The words “idle” and “worthless” does not mean in the way you are applying it to your son. Not at all. The author is using a figure of speech to describe people of ill repute. Meaning evil men. The men Abimelech hired murdered 69 innocent people for money. They sought to earn through evil means. They were the gangbangers and mobsters of their day.

The bible never describes the handicapped as worthless or idle, but the helpless or those in need.

Bo peep per this particular passage; The words “idle” and “worthless” does not mean in the way you are applying it to your son. Not at all. The author is using a figure of speech to describe people of ill repute. Meaning evil men. The men Abimelech hired murdered 69 innocent people for money. They sought to earn through evil means. They were the gangbangers and mobsters of their day.

The bible never describes the handicapped as worthless or idle, but the helpless or those in need.

Thank you.I told him that.He feels better.My son said "Jesus love me and I am confused why He would call me worthless that does not make sense".

• Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  114
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,236
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  12/18/1970

BoPeep...just remind your son we cannot select a single verse and derive the contextual meaning from it. While it does use that term worthless there...other words used are vain, and light men...as Appy said...these men were "Godless" evil men. Please explain to him that being handicapped and unable to do...is not the same as being able to do and doing nothing....and that if he would allow it God will use him to serve him regardless of his handicap, that God does not look at our physical limitations...or our "outside" but our insides...our heart for him. 1 Samuel 16:7  But the LORD said to Samuel, "Do not look on his appearance or on the height of his stature, because I have rejected him. For the LORD sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the LORD looks on the heart.

Job 34:16  "If you have understanding, hear this; listen to what I say.
Job 34:17  Shall one who hates justice govern? Will you condemn him who is righteous and mighty,
Job 34:18  who says to a king, 'Worthless one,' and to nobles, 'Wicked man,'
Job 34:19  who shows no partiality to princes, nor regards the rich more than the poor, for they are all the work of his hands?

Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Psalm 136:26 Give thanks to the God of heaven, for his steadfast love endures forever.

Mat 6:25  Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?
Mat 6:26  Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?
Mat 6:27  Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature?
Mat 6:28  And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin:
Mat 6:29  And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these

Luke 12:32  Fear not, little flock; for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom.

Let your son know.....God Loves him!!! and he is not Worthless....but a child of God....an heir to the kingdom....a follower of Christ!!! That nothing can separate him from his Father's hand!

Philppeans  4:13  I can do all things through him who strengthens me.

God Bless, 

Hip

Luke 12:32  Fear not, little flock; for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom.

Let your son know.....God Loves him!!! and he is not Worthless....but a child of God....an heir to the kingdom....a follower of Christ!!! That nothing can separate him from his Father's hand!

God Bless, 

Hip

:thumbsup:

Amen~!

BoPeep...just remind your son we cannot select a single verse and derive the contextual meaning from it. While it does use that term worthless there...other words used are vain, and light men...as Appy said...these men were "Godless" evil men. Please explain to him that being handicapped and unable to do...is not the same as being able to do and doing nothing....and that if he would allow it God will use him to serve him regardless of his handicap, that God does not look at our physical limitations...or our "outside" but our insides...our heart for him. 1 Samuel 16:7  But the LORD said to Samuel, "Do not look on his appearance or on the height of his stature, because I have rejected him. For the LORD sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the LORD looks on the heart.

Job 34:16  "If you have understanding, hear this; listen to what I say.

Job 34:17  Shall one who hates justice govern? Will you condemn him who is righteous and mighty,

Job 34:18  who says to a king, 'Worthless one,' and to nobles, 'Wicked man,'

Job 34:19  who shows no partiality to princes, nor regards the rich more than the poor, for they are all the work of his hands?

Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Psalm 136:26 Give thanks to the God of heaven, for his steadfast love endures forever.

Mat 6:25  Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?

Mat 6:26  Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?

Mat 6:27  Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature?

Mat 6:28  And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin:

Mat 6:29  And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these

God Bless, 

Hip

Thank you Hippie.Compassionate words.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,257
  • Content Per Day:  3.32
  • Days Won:  30

After an auto accident in which I crushed my bones in my foot, I also developed a frozen shoulder and could not use crutches. So a crawled around the house on raw, bleeding knees. And I felt worthless. It was then that God showed me that He treasures us simply because He made us, and not because of anything we can do. He reminded me of pictures I had painted that I still enjoy. They are something I created. They may not win any prizes but I enjoy them. So God enjoys us, as well. It especially delights Him when He can see His Son in us.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

The word worthless is not  used like that.  God knows our hearts and our bodies, no one in His sight is worthless.   However some of the things we have our eye on or things we go after are worthless.  Look at the verse that says;  " What does it profit a man if he gains the whole world and looses his own soul?"  I think the things that some people would trade for their own souls is worthless.

Because He Lives!! RustyAngeL