• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  18
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/31/1985

There are plenty of other ways we can look after our bodies without resorting to a practice that is rooted in such questionable origins.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  3
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

To me this is a similar question to eating food offered to idols.

See 1Cor 8, 10.

1 Corinthians 8:7 (NIV)
Some people are still so accustomed to idols that when they eat such food they think of it as having been sacrificed to an idol, and since their conscience is weak, it is defiled.

Admittedly I don't know much about Hinduism or yoga, or any relationship between the two.

I would never know one was related to the other unless someone told me.

I would never know that some perceive it to have demonic connections unless someone told me.

I would never suspect certain stretch poses are perceived by some as worshiping demons.

In fact, this is the first time the notion had even crossed my mind.  I feel tainted now.

Frankly, I'm surprised that in this day and age, the connection is even made.

So I would conclude if your church, or those whom you associate with thinks is not good, then don't do it.

On the other hand, if nobody's conscience is in any strained, if the Spirit is not compelling you away from it, if no one is aware of an issue, why create one? People can, and do create issues out of everything, and come up with rules about what you can and can't do.  Don't listen to this music, don't read this book, don't do that dance, don't wear that color because there is some demonic connection.  But is there really?  If we start trying to protect ourselves from things that aren't even true, we give faith to that false belief.  If we tell others not to do something because they worship other gods, implies there are other gods.  But there is one God.  If I can't do some stretch or pose or whatever they do, because I'd be worshiping some false god that doesn't exist, whether I realize it or not.  Now I can't do it.  Christ freed us from such notions, didn't he?  

Galatians 5:1 (NIV)
1  It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  370
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

Google Mark Singleton, to see what he found out about the development of yoga.

It could be what we understand as yoga was developed quite recently and is based on a european form of gymnastics called Primitive gym. Before that, there apparently are no documented pictures about asanas, whereas after this gymnastics was exported to India, pictures of asana postures can be traced, and they are quite the same as those in the mentioned gymnastics.

Apparently, in the ancient yoga, there were basically a few postures for sitting and meditating. Judge for yourself, I would not be surprised if the information in this book  was proven correct. I don't know if it was this author who came up with the stuff, but I remember the one who did had practiced yoga for ten years, plus he had been teaching it five years more before the information was laid before him.

It maybe sounds radical, but these days I am not surprised by so many things anymore. If this holds true, then you may quit the debate altogether since no one today in the West is practicing yoga, they are just stretching according to a Danish form of gymnastics. The question whether a Christian should practice something called Primitive gym is another story.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  27
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,715
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

didnt we just have this debate? is the horse not dead yet lol.

Guest shiloh357

This is not like the food sacrificed to idols issue.    In the issue Paul raised about food sacrificed to idols, both parties KNOW that the food is sacrificed to idols.  This is not about one party being unknowledgeable.

The question is, can a Christian knowingly participate in what is a form paganism.    In the western mind we are able to compartmentalize things, but the eastern mind doesn't work that way.  Yoga isn't designed to be compartmentalized and it is not simply "exercise."   It is designed to express a means of worship.

So I guess you can do what you want, but you will be held accountable for it.   So it boils down to what you want to have answer for when the day of reckoning comes.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

I sit here scratching my head as I continue to read through these posts.  Take a look at the poses yoga uses, Google has many of them.  Then think back to your school days when you were in PE, or even when you was warming up in football, baseball, basketball and any other sport.  You were not told they were yoga poses, but guess what!  Yoga uses the same stretching techniques.  Here is one chart.  Any look familiar?  Some are the exact same stretches we were instructed to do, others are not.

yoga%20poses.JPG

Why is it that people are so against a stretching technique when that is all it is? I climb and use 18 of the above stretches every time I warm up before climbing.  I did not get them from any yoga class, nor am I trying to become one with any false god.  I am preparing myself for climbing so I do not suffer injury.  It is when you apply the spiritual part that is becomes wrong.

I have read many posts by members who like to watch the Harry Potter movies or read their books, claiming that they are just fiction and can do no harm. To me, that is far more dangerous to the spirit than stretching tight and sore muscles.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  87
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

I can not speak for all yoga instruction but what I do is harmless and good for the body.I would get an unsettling feeling in my stomach if it were wrong or of a different spirit and I have never felt it is wrong to do these stretches... so what if a Hindu invented them. I do not know anything about Hindu gods and do not care to. I still do not think it matters if a Christian does the same type of exercise a non believer does. If Hindus use yoga to worship it has nothing to do with a Christian who does the stretches.My nice does bikram yoga in a yoga studio not in a church and she tells me it is just stretching and breathing in a 104 degree room no talk of spiritual stuff or gods.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  901
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  1

Just a note:

A couple of things that perhaps Christians might wish to consider....

Firstly - that in yoga..  [or at least in traditional yoga.. I am not sure regarding modern /westernised yoga]..  if I am not mistaken at least some / many of the traditional yoga poses or parts of the poses.. have a religious purpose / function / meaning / etc.

Or in other words - for traditional yoga... it is not only the chants / meditation / etc which are considered as religious..  but some of the physical poses themselves or part of the poses.. might possibly be considered by some as part of a religious ritual or religious linked.  

Secondly .. something which Christians might also wish to consider... is regarding Christian witness.

Hinduism isn't simply an ancient religion that only existed hundreds of years ago.. but it is also a religion that exists today.  There might possibly be somewhere between 700 million  - 1 billion {or more?} people in the world today who are hindus.  It is possibly the world's third largest religion after Christians and muslims.

Yoga being considered or practiced as a religious / spiritual ritual is something that exists today too.

- In the USA perhaps the percentage of hindus might be a rather small percentage of the population.. But in some other countries in the world.. the percentage is much higher than the USA.... Also in some cultures / ethnicities.. the majority of people of those ethnicities are hindus.. and it is the Christians who are a minority....

- For some churches / Christians outside the USA - the issue of yoga - and of Christian witness -  is a very relevant issue.... and perhaps might also be a difficult issue for some other churches to grapple with in the near future perhaps - as the 'westernised' form of yoga has become more spread or promoted even in some non-western countries. 

Just some personal thoughts / opinion.  No offence intended to anyone.

Thank you.

Edited by just_abc

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

It all boils down to the reason behind anything we do, be it using certain stretching techniques (Yoga), loving the outdoors (Tree hugging), enjoying the stars (astrology) etc.  We either do these things for a good reason or for a bad reason.  Only those who do not understand the difference are in a grey area.

If you are practicing Yoga to become enlightened in any way, then I would consider that a bad choice.  If you use their stretching techniques for better health, that is a good reason.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  901
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  1

There is also the issue of Christian witness though....

um.. If I may cut and paste from my post on a previous thread ?  

Quote :

1.  There are non-Christians who believe that 'all paths lead to God / etc.' 

There are many Hindus who might be willing to accept Jesus as one of the god.... but not as the ONLY God.... or the ONLY way.

But Christians on the other hand... believe that Jesus is the ONLY way. 

This is a major difference.. and possibly a major stumbling block.. in trying to explain about Christianity.

2.  If Christians were to take part in yoga.. especially traditional yoga positions..  I am concerned if this might cause some hindus .. [especially in asia].. to believe that the Christians are either participating in a religious ritual of their religion.. or at least endorsing the religion...  even if the Christians claim otherwise? 

And if so.. how could this possibly affect the witness not just of that particular Christians but possibly other Christians too?   

If Christians insist that Jesus is the ONLY way... but 'appear' to be participating / endorsing a non-Christian religious ritual...  

the words of the Christians and the actions of the Christians might not seem to match. 

And this could put other Christians in a difficult situation - in trying to explain

/Unquote

-- The point I am trying to make... is that traditional yoga is still viewed and practiced as a religious/ spiritual ritual.. even nowadays in the 21st century....  It isn't simply something that *used* to be a religious ritual a hundred years ago... but it is something that still is one....

-- If I may give a example which I hope wont offend anyone....  

Consider a hypothetical situation where a Christian is bowing before an idol.. but is not worshiping it ....

On the one hand.... if the Christian is truly not worshiping the idol at all ..but is simply exercising etc.. then {please please correct me if I am wrong} but I am guessing that the Christian might not be breaking the first commandment of the Ten Commandments... because he/she is not having 'other gods'.. ?

On the other hand... if in the particular religion that the idol is from... if the normal way people in that religion worship is by bowing before the idol while praying.... and if a Christian were to also bow before the idol in the exact same manner {but without praying}... it could easily cause people of that religion to assume that the Christian is either also worshiping the idol ..or at least paying reverence / respect to the idol.. or at least endorsing the religion / beliefs... 

And such a perception / assumption could easily affect the witnessing efforts not just of that particular Christian but also other Christians... especially those from the culture / ethnicities that the people of that religion are mostly from....

This is something that I am concerned about with regards to yoga.

In recent years the 'westernised' version of yoga has been spread and even being promoted... even to parts of asia. 

It is an issue for churches to grapple with. 

Edited by just_abc