IGNORED

Tithing & giving: The letter and the Spirit of the law? Thoughts?

GoldenEagle

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  44

(Note: Texts in bold are what you said in this post.)

@Fish Catcher Jim
C. Looks like the reference here "
widow woman and her few mites is an example of the first in which had total trust and faith in God and you know God moved on her behalf quickly. " is to Mark 12:41-44 & Luke 21:1-4. Is this correct?

I don't believe there's evidence of what happened after the widow gave her last two coins. So we don’t know if God moved on her behalf quickly. We know her actions and motivation pleased God. We also know that part of the instructions on tithing given to Israel was to give towards the widow, orphan, and foreigner. So this once again in my opinion, this just showed how the Jewish religious leaders (Scribes & Pharisees) and wealthy were not following the Old Covenant law. see Deut. 14:28-29

Can you see that perspective?

God bless,

GE

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  44

@Fish Catcher Jim

D. Looks like the reference here "the woman and her son who BELIEVED their man of God Elijah and prepared the last of thier food for the prophet or man of God....What happened ? She never knew lack again.... " is to 1 Kings 17:8-24. Is this correct? 

I’m not sure that this widow “Never knew lack again…” The text says that she had plenty until the day the Lord sent rain on the earth.

1 Kings 17:14

14 For thus says the Lord, the God of Israel, ‘The jar of flour shall not be spent, and the jug of oil shall not be empty, until the day that the Lord sends rain upon the earth.’”

Seems from 1 Kings 18:1 that was at least 3 years. Not her entire lifetime. So I don’t think your statement “She never knew lack again…” is true according to the passage.

1 Kings 18:1

1After many days the word of the Lord came to Elijah, in the third year, saying, “Go, show yourself to Ahab, and I will send rain upon the earth.”

We do not know precisely how long the drought lasted. Now, it IS true that during the drought God provided for this Gentile widow. After that there's no evidence God providing the miracle for this widow.

Do you see that perspective?

God bless,
GE

Guest Fish Catcher Jim

@Fish Catcher Jim

D. Looks like the reference here "the woman and her son who BELIEVED their man of God Elijah and prepared the last of thier food for the prophet or man of God....What happened ? She never knew lack again.... " is to 1 Kings 17:8-24. Is this correct? 

I’m not sure that this widow “Never knew lack again…” The text says that she had plenty until the day the Lord sent rain on the earth.1 Kings 17:14

14 For thus says the Lord, the God of Israel, ‘The jar of flour shall not be spent, and the jug of oil shall not be empty, until the day that the Lord sends rain upon the earth.’”Seems from 1 Kings 18:1 that was at least 3 years. Not her entire lifetime. So I don’t think your statement “She never knew lack again…” is true according to the passage.1 Kings 18:11After many days the word of the Lord came to Elijah, in the third year, saying, “Go, show yourself to Ahab, and I will send rain upon the earth.”We do not know precisely how long the drought lasted. Now, it IS true that during the drought God provided for this Gentile widow. After that there's no evidence God providing the miracle for this widow.

Do you see that perspective?

God bless,

GE

When God speaks of sending the rain..............what does this mean ? What does this stand for ?

Guest shiloh357

Just because God sent the rain, doesn't mean that she never knew lack again.   That is nothing but conjecture on your part.

Guest Fish Catcher Jim

Just because God sent the rain, doesn't mean that she never knew lack again.   That is nothing but conjecture on your part.

Brother try again.

Guest shiloh357

I don't need to try again.   You have nothing in the Scriptures that says she never experienced lack again.   Rain or no rain...     Rain can be a blessing or a curse, depending...

Guest Fish Catcher Jim

And therein lies the problem with the prosperity message.   It all depends on MY faith, ultimately.   God only works in my life if I have enough faith.  It makes God the servant of my faith.  The prosperity message puts us in authority over God.  The prosperity message completely rejects the sovereignty of God.

When I lived in Tulsa, I was told that you have to, "put faith in your faith."   It was one of Kenneth Hagin's teaching on finances.   It means make your faith, the object of your faith.   Instead of having faith in God, have faith in your faith."    It is an egregious false teaching.

There is no NT requirement to tithe, and the Bible does not connect a blessing for tithing to the Church.    Tithing, in the Bible was to be done to the temple and there were three different tithes.  It was a commandment given ONLY to Israel and never to the Church.

Shiloh Greetings,

Why is it you keep twisting things I have said with your ill feelings towards some servents of God ?

Now you are saying what I was talking about is making God a servent to us. Brother that is twisted thinken on your part. No where has this been said. Why do you keep speaking of finances when speaking about prosperity ?

Brother we only place our faith in God and His written word. It has been said to me how what I am talking about puts it all about my faith and the word I was used alot as if it was all about me, myself and I. That again is simply twisting things. For me it is my faith that moves mountains and for you it is your faith.

The problem here is that you hold aught against certain servents of God and what they teach so once I begin to speak about faith you rerlease you wrath (lol) lack of bettyer word, any way out on evertything I say. I spoke of written promises from God in my thread and you began to start twisting what I said there and then followed me to this thread. I am not attacking you at all but simply showing your actions.

Now then have a wonderful day

Guest Fish Catcher Jim

I don't need to try again.   You have nothing in the Scriptures that says she never experienced lack again.   Rain or no rain...     Rain can be a blessing or a curse, depending...

Up can be down and east can be west. Rain a curse ? Oh perhaps to those who did not believe Noah but that is not the issue here now is it. You have nothing saying that she did either brother. Through out the word of God when God sends thr rain is something more then just making water fall from the sky.

Have a great day Shiloh and I will be looking forward to your replies as well.

Guest Fish Catcher Jim

Rain in this context then............when God sends the rain it heals the land and crops grow and life begins to grow. Another words the time of lack is over.........

Guest shiloh357

From the vantage point of the nation, yes, lack is over.   But that does not mean that each and every person no longer suffers personal lack.  

I don't need a verse saying she did or didn't.  I am not the one making the claim; you are.   You conjectured that she never experienced lack again.   You are the one making a claim that needs support.   I don't have to defend a claim I never made.

We have to be careful by assigning too much symbolism to biblical narratives.   Sometimes a rock is just a rock.   Rain means different things in different contexts.  Sometimes it IS just water falling from the sky, as it is in this story.