Adultery Exception?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  28

So my friend tells me that his ex wife cheated first and then he cheated on her, now they are divorced 5 years. Does he fall under the exception Jesus gave. Even tho he cheated after?

Thank you.

Adultery is adultery no matter who commits it. And two wrongs don't make a right.

Amen~~they are both wrong ~~~

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  95
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/20/1980

So my friend tells me that his ex wife cheated first and then he cheated on her, now they are divorced 5 years. Does he fall under the exception Jesus gave. Even tho he cheated after?

Thank you.

I am assuming they were both married at the time when the cheating happened.

A man must write a bill of divorcement and hand it to the wife. If He lays with another women while married to someone, then He has committed adultery against his wife whom He is still married to.

So, your friend has committed adultery as the wife had no bill of divorcement. 

Jesus talked about "putting away" and taking someone else. This was an act to keep control over a women, and take another women. God said if the man find anything unclean in her, He must write her a bill of divorcement before taking another wife. Without that bill, she was not considered free and property of someone else. She could even be stoned for it without the proof of the divorce.

I think he has the right to divorce under the exception... not sure about the remarriage part though?

Let me help you.

When a man hath taken a wife, and married her, and it come to pass that she find no favour in his eyes, because he hath found some uncleanness in her: then let him write her a bill of divorcement, and give it in her hand, and send her out of his house. And when she is departed out of his house, she may go and be another man's wife. And if the latter husband hate her, and write her a bill of divorcement, and giveth it in her hand, and sendeth her out of his house; or if the latter husband die, which took her to be his wife; Her former husband, which sent her away, may not take her again to be his wife, after that she is defiled; for that is abomination before the LORD: and thou shalt not cause the land to sin, which the LORD thy God giveth thee for an inheritance. 

(Deu 24:1-4)

Does that mean he cannot get married a third time?

Thank you.

I am assuming they were both married at the time when the cheating happened.

A man must write a bill of divorcement and hand it to the wife. If He lays with another women while married to someone, then He has committed adultery against his wife whom He is still married to.

So, your friend has committed adultery as the wife had no bill of divorcement.

Jesus talked about "putting away" and taking someone else. This was an act to keep control over a women, and take another women. God said if the man find anything unclean in her, He must write her a bill of divorcement before taking another wife. Without that bill, she was not considered free and property of someone else. She could even be stoned for it without the proof of the divorce.

Would he be able to remarry?

You want scriptural answers I suspect, not opinions.  What did Jesus says? Follow along with me.................... Jesus makes a statement that many believe once your divorced, you can't Marry again. That is not what Jesus said. And the Pharisees came to him, and asked him, Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife? tempting him. And he answered and said unto them, What did Moses command you? (Mar 10:2-3) Jesus is asked if it is Lawful to put away your wife. Put away was a practice of not giving your wife a bill of divorcement but keeping her bound. Jesus answered them and asked, What did Moses tell you? Moses said this. When a man hath taken a wife, and married her, and it come to pass that she find no favour in his eyes, because he hath found some uncleanness in her: then let him write her a bill of divorcement, and give it in her hand, and send her out of his house. And when she is departed out of his house, she may go and be another man's wife You just can't put her away, you must give her a bill of divorcement then send her away with proof of the divorce. Once she is divorced, she can marry or He can marry again. And they said, Moses suffered to write a bill of divorcement, and to put her away. And Jesus answered and said unto them, For the hardness of your heart he wrote you this precept. But from the beginning of the creation God made them male and female. For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and cleave to his wife; And they twain shall be one flesh: so then they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder. (Mar 10:4-9) They just asked Jesus about just putting her away, and Jesus helped their memory about what Moses did say. And he saith unto them, Whosoever shall put away his wife, and marry another, committeth adultery against her. And if a woman shall put away her husband, and be married to another, she committeth adultery. (Mar 10:11-12) So, you just can't put away the wife, you have to give her a bill of divorcement then put her away as Moses said. If she is just put away but marries another, she is still married to the first and that is committing adultery. Once divorced, you can marry again. Keep in mind though, Jesus said this was given for the hardness of someones heart. You can divorce, and Marry but it's not God's way to break a covenant.  His disciples say unto him, If the case of the man be so with his wife, it is not good to marry. But he said unto them, All men cannot receive this saying, save they to whom it is given. For there are some eunuchs, which were so born from their mother's womb: and there are some eunuchs, which were made eunuchs of men: and there be eunuchs, which have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake. He that is able to receive it, let him receive it. (Mat 19:10-12) So, staying married as what God joined together, men should not separate, not all can bare that or receive that. Some marriages are so bad, both people can't figure out where to start to get things fixed and don't want to fix them. Jesus gave an example of a Eunuch or someone that won't marry or castrated person.  Short answer, He can get married again. Whatever sin happened, and be forgiven anyway.

Thank you again! Can you explain Matthew 5 please. Your answer was a great help.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

Are these two people Christian?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,363
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  5

Thank you.

What do you mean - he cheated on her?

If he slept with somebody else, he committed adultery.

Even if he and his wife divorced first, he committed adultery with another woman UNLESS he married the second woman. you never mentioned whether he married the second woman or not.

You're asking if he falls under the exception. What exception? Are you suggesting that it is okay to sleep with somebody as long as you're not married to somebody else?

Even if his first marriage became effectively null and void, it doesn't give him license to sleep around.

Nobody appears to have asked whether he married the second woman or not. They seem to be concentrating on whether he divorced his first wife first.

Thank you.

What do you mean - he cheated on her?

If he slept with somebody else, he committed adultery.

Even if he and his wife divorced first, he committed adultery with another woman UNLESS he married the second woman. you never mentioned whether he married the second woman or not.

You're asking if he falls under the exception. What exception? Are you suggesting that it is okay to sleep with somebody as long as you're not married to somebody else?

Even if his first marriage became effectively null and void, it doesn't give him license to sleep around.

Nobody appears to have asked whether he married the second woman or not. They seem to be concentrating on whether he divorced his first wife first.

No. I'll explain. She had sex with someone else. Then he did the same. She divorced him carrying the child of other dude.

He committed adultery - regardless.

Even if he had divorced her first before having sex with the other woman, he still committed adultery because he had sex with somebody he wasn't married to.

Forget his wife who cheated on him (for the moment). Even if his wife had never existed, he still had sex with somebody that he wasn't married to.

That is also adultery. Adultery is not just about breaking marriage vows or cheating on a spouse - adultery is also having sex with somebody to whom you are not married.

He also caused the second woman to commit adultery too regardless of whether she was or had been married.

If neither party is married it isn't adultery. It's fornication. Adultery involves a spouse straying.

Back slidden I believe.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

Back slidden I believe.

So does it matter?They are going to do what unbelievers do.They are not following a Christian life.They were both wrong.

Back slidden I believe.

So does it matter?They are going to do what unbelievers do.They are not following a Christian life.They were both wrong.

Well as he explaned to me he was like backslidden. Cause he got saved at 19 and he married her after making her pregnant when he was 25..

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  33
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  813
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  1

Well.. yeah... 2 wrongs don't make a right...both of them cheated each other...Doesn't matter who, why, when, which or how... just because the first person cheats doesn't give allowance or exception for the other to do the same as well... now if the wife jumps out of the window... would the guy do the same? Of course not, he would think twice...Unless romeo and juliet but that's another story. Similarly, when his wife cheated, your friend could have done better...by not cheating as well...

Anyhow in this case, both of them equally guilty.. To be able to remarry or not... well...the Bible could say so much... but the question is... Will your friend turn over a new leaf? or is he going to go around burning himself with desire? If he is gonna go around, it is better off to get married though and hopefully stick to that person till death do them apart.

Edited by Tanusha

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

Back slidden I believe.

Well as he explaned to me he was like backslidden. Cause he got saved at 19 and he married her after making her pregnant when he was 25..

Back slidden I believe.

And this has what to do with him committing adultery?