Coffeespiller87

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  33
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  813
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  1

Allah is the Arabic equivalent for "god," not "God." Allah and YHVH are not the same entity.

So I suppose, Arab Christians, the Nazarenes in Syria who are persecuted for their faith are praying to god and not God.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  230
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.95
  • Days Won:  14

The Bible Society rationalizes it that To the Muslim, Allah means God but it also means the Muslim God not Jehovah. Why they never used Jehovah and named Jesus as the Son of Jehovah or Messiah is where I Parted with the Bible Society. No matter how they rationalize ..it makes for confusion for the unbeliever.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,875
  • Content Per Day:  0.70
  • Days Won:  9

Unless shown otherwise, I still think that Wycliffe is solid.

Sometimes it is necessary to use wording when translating, which gives a better meaning/understanding in alternate languages and cultures.

I was once told by an ex-muslim that the idea of clean and unclean is very understandable to a Muslim. I was told that if a person died in an unclean state, according to Islam, they would not enter their equivalent of heaven. Some of the silliest of things can render a person as unclean. When in an unclean state, they are required to take a bath to be clean again. So, rather then using the word, 'sin', like Jesus died for our sin, what would have a better or clearer understanding for a Muslim, is that Jesus died for all of our uncleanness. Since being unclean in Islam is a big concern, and is caused by daily things. It explains in that religious culture, a condition which they will be in which would keep them out of heaven and if Jesus died to make us clean, it means the rituals to be clean to go to heaven are done with because of what Jesus did for us.

I agree with the use of Allah for God. To a Muslim, Allah means God, so that would be the equivalent of Paul telling the people about the unknown god, making the pagan temple a pointer to Jesus.

I don't know a lot about Islam, but I am sure that the Wycliffe Arabic translators do. And these translators would have a solid understanding of Arabic, and cultural expressions. I prefer a literal translation, but dynamic equivalent translations have been considered acceptable also. In some situations a paraphrase is good also. I once read a Philips which is a paraphrase and liked it. I would not use a paraphrase for a deep bible study, but I saw a place for a paraphrase. Especially when dealing with the theology point.    

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,260
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Sometimes it is necessary to use wording when translating, which gives a better meaning/understanding in alternate languages and cultures.

I was once told by an ex-muslim that the idea of clean and unclean is very understandable to a Muslim. I was told that if a person died in an unclean state, according to Islam, they would not enter their equivalent of heaven. Some of the silliest of things can render a person as unclean. When in an unclean state, they are required to take a bath to be clean again. So, rather then using the word, 'sin', like Jesus died for our sin, what would have a better or clearer understanding for a Muslim, is that Jesus died for all of our uncleanness. Since being unclean in Islam is a big concern, and is caused by daily things. It explains in that religious culture, a condition which they will be in which would keep them out of heaven and if Jesus died to make us clean, it means the rituals to be clean to go to heaven are done with because of what Jesus did for us.

I agree with the use of Allah for God. To a Muslim, Allah means God, so that would be the equivalent of Paul telling the people about the unknown god, making the pagan temple a pointer to Jesus.

I don't know a lot about Islam, but I am sure that the Wycliffe Arabic translators do. And these translators would have a solid understanding of Arabic, and cultural expressions. I prefer a literal translation, but dynamic equivalent translations have been considered acceptable also. In some situations a paraphrase is good also. I once read a Philips which is a paraphrase and liked it. I would not use a paraphrase for a deep bible study, but I saw a place for a paraphrase. Especially when dealing with the theology point.    

Islam does not like for us to use the word Allah for the father of Jesus......      They are not the same god/God.     When you study Islam you find that Allah's profile isn't anything like the Father that we know as God.

Islam does not like for us to use the word Allah for the father of Jesus......      They are not the same god/God.     When you study Islam you find that Allah's profile isn't anything like the Father that we know as God.

On this one, you can not generalize. Allah is in some countries or many countries, generic, for the word God. 

Allah means God in Arabic and is used by both Jews and Christians in Arab countries. The word Allah (God), predates Islam.

In the OT, Elochim refers to God, while the same word can refer to pagan gods. In English, God is also a generic term and the word can refer to the Most High God of the bible, or it can refer to other gods of other religions.

On this one, you can not generalize. Allah is in some countries or many countries, generic, for the word God. 

Allah means God in Arabic and is used by both Jews and Christians in Arab countries. The word Allah (God), predates Islam.

In the OT, Elochim refers to God, while the same word can refer to pagan gods. In English, God is also a generic term and the word can refer to the Most High God of the bible, or it can refer to other gods of other religions.

I am only saying that if you are in an Islamic country, they take offense at calling the Christian God we refer to as the Father as being Allah   with a capitol A.

I've read things on Islamic websites across the world over the past five years while learning about Islam.....       General speaking or not i can't say, but written word has gotten me hate mail from all over the globe.

I am only saying that if you are in an Islamic country, they take offense at calling the Christian God we refer to as the Father as being Allah   with a capitol A.

I've read things on Islamic websites across the world over the past five years while learning about Islam.....       General speaking or not i can't say, but written word has gotten me hate mail from all over the globe.

Ok, I can see what I believe the objection is about. Islam clearly says that Allah has no Son, so when you call the Father, Allah, you are speaking directly against a primary belief of Islam and the Islamic belief which goes directly against belief in Jesus.

Ok, I can see what I believe the objection is about. Islam clearly says that Allah has no Son, so when you call the Father, Allah, you are speaking directly against a primary belief of Islam and the Islamic belief which goes directly against belief in Jesus.

there is more to it than that, but that's one of the biggie stumbling points.     Having a personal relationship is another huge problem for them.

there is more to it than that, but that's one of the biggie stumbling points.     Having a personal relationship is another huge problem for them.

Having a personal relationship with God is a huge problem for a lot of non-Christians.  I know it is Christianese when speaking to someone raised in a so called Christian family, and knowing the basic beliefs without actually committing to Jesus as Lord. But, as a statement, it does not sound right for Muslims or Jewish people.  

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  114
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/20/1982

in Revelation it says not to change any wording of the Bible ..

and that's regardless of what the translation is ..

I only read the KJV .. and its not © ..

as for muslims .. yeah well ..