• Group:  Seeker
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  143
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

I'm just wondering...

What do you all think it is to be godly?

What is the perfect definition?

Is there a simple definition?

Is there a simple method to become said definition?

My thought is that being godly is probably more than just doing the work of God. I mean, I don't think work is all there is to it, but at the same time, even the soul, that is, even our own conception is, more or less, a function, task, or work; and so, maybe being is working... but I am not sure. So... yeah...

Thoughts?

Malachi 2:15

John 6:29

Edited by Cog

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

You are correct. It is not work, but surrender. We, humans, cannot be Godly. Only He who lives in and through us can be Godly, so the more you surrender to Him, the more Godly you become. Make no mistake, it is not us one bit, but all Him.

• Group:  Seeker
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  143
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

OneLight,

Can you rephrase that? It sounds like you're saying God cannot have what he joined man and woman together for - he cannot have what he wants (godly seed/godly offspring) - and that we should stop trying to be godly (surrender/give up) and let him do all the work.

P.S.

What I was asking in the opening post is if being godly is more about being spiritually aware (seeds = spiritually awareness / spiritual souls) than it was about being spiritually productive (being fruitful = producing spiritual awareness). And I ended with the thought that being awareness is kind of like work / producing fruit, as even awareness is what is conceived and conception is like work or working towards awareness.

Sorry, if I am confusing.

I guess it is as difficult as trying to divide the spirit and the soul - where one ends and the other begins.

Malachi 2:

15 And did not he make one? Yet had he the residue of the spirit. And wherefore one? That he might seek a godly seed. Therefore take heed to your spirit, and let none deal treacherously against the wife of his youth.

Edited by Cog

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  230
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.95
  • Days Won:  14

Jesus set us an example ...we should be Christ like..

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

OneLight,

Can you rephrase that? It sounds like you're saying God cannot have what he joined man and woman together for - he cannot have what he wants (godly seed/godly offspring) - and that we should stop trying to be godly (surrender/give up) and let him do all the work.

P.S.

What I was asking in the opening post is if being godly is more about being spiritually aware (seeds = spiritually awareness / spiritual souls) than it was about being spiritually productive (being fruitful = producing spiritual awareness). And I ended with the thought that being awareness is kind of like work / producing fruit, as even awareness is what is conceived and conception is like work or working towards awareness.

Sorry, if I am confusing.

I guess it is as difficult as trying to divide the spirit and the soul - where one ends and the other begins.

Malachi 2:

15 And did not he make one? Yet had he the residue of the spirit. And wherefore one? That he might seek a godly seed. Therefore take heed to your spirit, and let none deal treacherously against the wife of his youth.

I am sorry if this is not what you wanted to hear.  To me, I have to reject what my natural self would like to do and allow Him to live in and through me, including in my marriage.  Being Godly is to be Christ Like, and we can never be Christ like unless we allow Him to have control of our lives.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.34
  • Days Won:  20

I'm just wondering...

What do you all think it is to be godly?

What is the perfect definition?

Is there a simple definition?

There is a simple and perfect definition given by Christ in Mt 5:38-48, which brings God's perfection into view. It all boils down to perfect love for God and unselfish love for your neighbour:

38 Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:

39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.

40 And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloke also.

41 And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain.

42 Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away.

43 Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.

44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

46 For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same?

47 And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so?

48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  1,393
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  4

7)  But refuse profane and old wives' fables, and exercise thyself rather unto godliness.

8)  For bodily exercise profiteth little: but godliness is profitable unto all things, having promise of the life that now is, and of that which is to come.

I Timothy 4:7-8

From this passage it seems that godliness is something that we as believers in Christ need to practice or exercise.   For if we only have the awareness of this and don't practice it, we are not doers of the word, and will end up deceiving our own selves, James 1:22-25