• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  508
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/09/1985

I have been seeing a few posts about church offices lately, such as Pastor/Shepard, Elder and so on. I think it would be helpful on the various offices in the church had how those office apply to the church today. What is the definition of elder, what s the definition of pastor and so on. Are some of the office mentioned in the Bible still in use today, such as apostle, and do we some times mix up the definition of elder and deacon? I think these are all points to discuss on the matter. I have my own views on the matter, but I would like to read your views first.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.79
  • Days Won:  226

I do not think that apostle is used today only in the NT.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  45
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

apostles pators etc are not offices so much but gifts, the office of a bishop or overseer is also an elder, and that is more of a function

and apostles are for today and they were given after Christ rose from the dead as well. Ephesians 4:10,11, and read Acts 13 and 14 where barnabas was called and sent as an apostle in ACts 14 we see this. Also Timoteous and Silvanus were apostles in 1 Thessalonians 1 and 2:6

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  207
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  8,651
  • Content Per Day:  1.17
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  03/04/1943

apostles pastors etc are not offices so much but gifts, the office of a bishop or overseer is also an elder, and that is more of a function

and apostles are for today and they were given after Christ rose from the dead as well. Ephesians 4:10,11, and read Acts 13 and 14 where Barnabas was called and sent as an apostle in Acts 14 we see this. Also Timoteous and Silvanus were apostles in 1 Thessalonians 1 and 2:6

:thumbsup:

Maybe

As they ministered to the Lord, and fasted, the Holy Ghost said, Separate me Barnabas and Saul for the work whereunto I have called them. And when they had fasted and prayed, and laid their hands on them, they sent them away. Acts 13:2-3

Beloved

Nor of men sought we glory, neither of you, nor yet of others, when we might have been burdensome, as the apostles of Christ. 1 Thessalonians 2:6

You Have

He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.)

And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;

For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ: Ephesians 4:10-12

A Point

Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father. John 14:12

~

Be Blessed Beloved Of The KING

The LORD bless thee, and keep thee:

The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee:

The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.

And they shall put my name upon the children of Israel; and I will bless them. Numbers 6:24-27

Love, Your Brother Joe

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

I do not think that apostle is used today only in the NT.

To clarify this further, the following are the SPIRITUAL GIFTS connected with the ministry of the Word of God so that the saints would be built up (edified) and become spiritually mature (perfect) (Eph 4:11):

And he gave some, apostles;

and some, prophets;

and some, evangelists;

and some, pastors

and teachers

For the perfecting of the saints,

for the work of the ministry,

for the edifying of the body of Christ:

It is interesting to note that the order in which these gifts are listed is also the progression of a Christian who hears the Gospel through evangelists, is shepherded by pastors, and then taught by teachers.  The apostles (New Testament) and prophets (Old Testament) are now found in the written Word of God.  So what we are left with for today are evangelists, pastors, and teachers -- men gifted to fulfil these ministries, while using what the apostles and prophets have left behind (Scripture).

But there are only two OFFICES within the churches -- (1) elder and (2) deacon.  Elders must have the spiritual gift of shepherding the flock, hence must have the gift of *pastor*. Deacons can have any of these gifts also, as we see in Scripture (Acts 6 and 7).