• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

Joel Osteen is one of the erroneous Bible teachers out there.    He leaves people comfortable in their sin and he never preaches the Gospel.

That's a lie.

Osteen said in his interview on Larry King that he won't deal with sin. If it won't deal with sin and other issues addressed by scripture . . . I won't listen to him nor encourage anyone else to either. 

Pastors and leaders in a church do deal with sin among their people, but to make blanket statements about sin in order for sinners to completely close their ears is not always a good judgment call. I do believe that Jesus would be mild about it if a network interviewer stuck a microphone in his face about one particular sin or a group of people. His desire is to show them His love and mercy. How do you know that Osteen was not commanded by God to answer the way he did? Would I? I don't think so, unless Holy Spirit distinctly spoke to me and told me otherwise. He has reminded me of this:

1 Corinthians 5:12-13

It isn’t my responsibility to judge outsiders, but it certainly is your responsibility to judge those inside the church who are sinning. 13 God will judge those on the outside; but as the Scriptures say, “You must remove the evil person from among you.”

Axe, I stand by what I posted. The interview is freely available and you can watch it if you like. I don't have a problem admitting I'm wrong, but you're going to have to show me where the guy is preaching the whole gospel of Christ. I'd place the man as a motivational speaker if nothing else, but not a preacher of the gospel. Its not judgement and its not gossip.

Remember: "When I'm pointing out sin in someone else's life three fingers are pointing back a me." -- unknown 

If one attended his church and knew how the cell church functions, one would know that the gospel message is a vital part of it. Right now, all anyone has is a small pinhole view. There is no wisdom in judging without a full picture, and the little proverb you posted is appropriate to all those who denigrate known leaders.

Guest shiloh357

No, we don't have a pinhole.  His vast numbers of sermons, articles, books and his interviews with secular news agencies where he admits that he doesn't talk about sin is a very good barometer of what he teaches.

As  the senior pastor, it is HIS duty to preach the Gospel.  Preachers don't have the option of leaving that to someone else.  He is motivational speaker, not a preacher.   He looks like his dad, he sounds like his dad and he was the logical choice to takeover his dad's ministry.    He can't teach the Bible because he doesn't know the Bible.   He only uses a scant number of Scriptures in his sermons and most of them are from lousy, loose translations or that Message paraphrase which butchers the Scriptures.   He can't put his ideas out there with formal translations of Scripture because real translations don't say what he is saying.

He never preaches the Gospel because the Gospel doesn't sell books.   It's why he can live in a $15 million mansion.   He couldn't get that rich off of the Gospel.  No Gospel preacher ever does.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,800
  • Content Per Day:  6.17
  • Days Won:  58

The Message isn't a Bible AND it is just awful.   It is not even close to what Scripture has to say.   IT is  paraphrase, not a translation.  It is like Living Bible where one guy just puts the Bible in his own words.   It is not reliable and anyone who uses it, is not getting the Scriptures.  They are getting a man's paraphrase and thus his own personal take on what the Bible says.   That is not a Bible.  

I am not judging anyone.  He is already under God's judgment for the false teachings and spiritual cotton candy he feeds his congregation every week.    IF anyone is actually getting saved at that "church"  it is in spite of Joel Osteen and not because of him.

No one has said that The Message paraphrase is the bible.

Let God do what He chooses to do with Osteen's ministry. Rather than bleating about him so much, you could actually pray for him and for his church, as the Lord is blessing it. There are many fine men and women workers for Christ in that work.

The let God do what He chooses with shiloh instead of tearing him down like you accuse him of doing to a pastor. You cannot tear down one pastor and then claim that he cant speak against another pastor.

I will always stand up for people who believe the word, and preach the gospel of Jesus Christ. But people who sit in judgment of them and tear down their unique ministries is doing the job of Satan. I don't sit still for it, and neither should anyone here.

You are tearing people down axe. You are doing exactly what you are upset about regarding their actions. 

No, I am defending people of God against those who make it a habit to tear down. It is all too common among the brethren.

You are tearing down a man of God, repeatedly, habitually, when you tear into shiloh. You are doing exactly what you are complaining about in others.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  207
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  8,651
  • Content Per Day:  1.16
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  03/04/1943

:thumbsup:

Where Have All The Preachers Gone, Long Time Passing

“Now I know that none of you among whom I have gone about preaching the kingdom will ever see me again. Therefore, I declare to you today that I am innocent of the blood of any of you. For I have not hesitated to proclaim to you the whole will of God. 

Keep watch over yourselves and all the flock of which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers. Be shepherds of the church of God, which he bought with his own blood. I know that after I leave, savage wolves will come in among you and will not spare the flock.

Even from your own number men will arise and distort the truth in order to draw away disciples after them. So be on your guard! Remember that for three years I never stopped warning each of you night and day with tears. Acts 20:25-31 (NIV)

Where Have All The Preachers Gone, Long Time Ago

Dear children, this is the last hour; and as you have heard that the antichrist is coming, even now many antichrists have come. This is how we know it is the last hour. They went out from us, but they did not really belong to us. For if they had belonged to us, they would have remained with us; but their going showed that none of them belonged to us. 1 John 2:18-19 (NIV)

The Answer My Friend Is Blown By The Wind

But you have an anointing from the Holy One, and all of you know the truth. I do not write to you because you do not know the truth, but because you do know it and because no lie comes from the truth. Who is the liar? It is whoever denies that Jesus is the Christ. Such a person is the antichrist—denying the Father and the Son. No one who denies the Son has the Father; whoever acknowledges the Son has the Father also.

As for you, see that what you have heard from the beginning remains in you. If it does, you also will remain in the Son and in the Father. And this is what he promised us—eternal life. 1 John 2:20-25

The Answer My Friend Is

I am writing these things to you about those who are trying to lead you astray. As for you, the anointing you received from him remains in you, and you do not need anyone to teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about all things and as that anointing is real, not counterfeit—just as it has taught you, remain in him. 1 John 2:26-27

Blown By The Wind

We are therefore Christ’s ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore you on Christ’s behalf: Be reconciled to God. God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God. 2 Corinthians 5:20-21 (NIV)

With A Tip Of The Hat To Pete Seeger And Bob Dylan And To The Mighty Holy Spirit Of The Living God

I applaud the men who rejected the false teachings of Joel Osteen's words and standing up for the true word of God.If Osteen is preaching a lie then let that be known.

Galatians 1:7-9  which is not another; but there are some who trouble you and want to pervert the gospel of Christ. But even if we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel to you than what we have preached to you, let him be accursed. As we have said before, so now I say again, if anyone preaches any other gospel to you than what you have received, let him be accursed.

Matthew 7:15-20  “Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves. 16 You will know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes from thornbushes or figs from thistles? 17 Even so, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Therefore by their fruits you will know them.

These men are not representative of the word of God. They are a disruptive cult.

I see that they were disruptive but saying that Joel Osteen is preaching lies is right on.

I don't agree with that because I don't allow the internet to form my opinions for me.

J.O.'s words and actions speak for themselves. He is a false teacher and what the internet has to say about it has no bearning. Listen to his sermons. Watch his interviews on talk shows like Larry King. You will see and hear for yourself.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,996
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,693
  • Content Per Day:  11.68
  • Days Won:  226

I applaud the men who rejected the false teachings of Joel Osteen's words and standing up for the true word of God.If Osteen is preaching a lie then let that be known.

Galatians 1:7-9  which is not another; but there are some who trouble you and want to pervert the gospel of Christ. But even if we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel to you than what we have preached to you, let him be accursed. As we have said before, so now I say again, if anyone preaches any other gospel to you than what you have received, let him be accursed.

Matthew 7:15-20  “Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves. 16 You will know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes from thornbushes or figs from thistles? 17 Even so, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Therefore by their fruits you will know them.

These men are not representative of the word of God. They are a disruptive cult.

I see that they were disruptive but saying that Joel Osteen is preaching lies is right on.

I don't agree with that because I don't allow the internet to form my opinions for me.

J.O.'s words and actions speak for themselves. He is a false teacher and what the internet has to say about it has no bearning. Listen to his sermons. Watch his interviews on talk shows like Larry King. You will see and hear for yourself.

The sad part is that the people who follow him can see and hear his false words but will defend his ministry till the end.

No, we don't have a pinhole.  His vast numbers of sermons, articles, books and his interviews with secular news agencies where he admits that he doesn't talk about sin is a very good barometer of what he teaches.

As  the senior pastor, it is HIS duty to preach the Gospel.  Preachers don't have the option of leaving that to someone else.  He is motivational speaker, not a preacher.   He looks like his dad, he sounds like his dad and he was the logical choice to takeover his dad's ministry.    He can't teach the Bible because he doesn't know the Bible.   He only uses a scant number of Scriptures in his sermons and most of them are from lousy, loose translations or that Message paraphrase which butchers the Scriptures.   He can't put his ideas out there with formal translations of Scripture because real translations don't say what he is saying.

He never preaches the Gospel because the Gospel doesn't sell books.   It's why he can live in a $15 million mansion.   He couldn't get that rich off of the Gospel.  No Gospel preacher ever does.

Joel Osteen preaches the gospel. His church preaches the gospel. His church disciples new believers. Osteen preaches against sin. If you were a member of his congregation, you would know that. Not every member of the Body has the same exact calling or flavour on his/her ministry, which makes the Body of Christ a beautiful, multi-layered, multi-faceted, yet correlated Body.

We need to uphold one another and remain unified. Unless a person preaches against Christ, then we need to stop and think about what we are actually doing when we stoop to denigrate one of our own.

The Message isn't a Bible AND it is just awful.   It is not even close to what Scripture has to say.   IT is  paraphrase, not a translation.  It is like Living Bible where one guy just puts the Bible in his own words.   It is not reliable and anyone who uses it, is not getting the Scriptures.  They are getting a man's paraphrase and thus his own personal take on what the Bible says.   That is not a Bible.  

I am not judging anyone.  He is already under God's judgment for the false teachings and spiritual cotton candy he feeds his congregation every week.    IF anyone is actually getting saved at that "church"  it is in spite of Joel Osteen and not because of him.

No one has said that The Message paraphrase is the bible.

Let God do what He chooses to do with Osteen's ministry. Rather than bleating about him so much, you could actually pray for him and for his church, as the Lord is blessing it. There are many fine men and women workers for Christ in that work.

The let God do what He chooses with shiloh instead of tearing him down like you accuse him of doing to a pastor. You cannot tear down one pastor and then claim that he cant speak against another pastor.

I will always stand up for people who believe the word, and preach the gospel of Jesus Christ. But people who sit in judgment of them and tear down their unique ministries is doing the job of Satan. I don't sit still for it, and neither should anyone here.

You are tearing people down axe. You are doing exactly what you are upset about regarding their actions. 

No, I am defending people of God against those who make it a habit to tear down. It is all too common among the brethren.

You are tearing down a man of God, repeatedly, habitually, when you tear into shiloh. You are doing exactly what you are complaining about in others.

No I am not.

Floating Axe,

We have identified Osteen as a False Teacher  according to the Scriptures and we speak honestly with concern about Osteen's message and the majority of your  "defense" of Osteen has been spent in personal attack and accusing either one or the other of us of :  lying, slander, gossip, aspersions, "sitting in judgment", having no clue, having hollow words, cynicism, hypocrisy, being our  "judgmental selves', and accused of  bleating apparently like some animal and taking part in a gossip-fest.  I believe you attributed to yourself the mind of Christ and I might have mis-remembered but I think you said you had righteous judgment.  This , you don't see this as ironic?  

It is the job of any in the body of Christ to watch and prove the teachings according to the Bible it is particularly the Pastoral responsibility to protect the flock and that includes identifying the threat -- like the wolves. It is not meant to tear down anyone.  Sorry that is the only way you see it.  I could easily list specific teachings &  statements Osteen's has made but I don't see the point at this moment.

You may have said he is a false preacher, but you cannot identify one based on very much. He preaches the gospel and the Lordship of Jesus Christ, salvation by the blood of Jesus, and he preaches damnation for those outside of Christ. His flavour is that of encouragement and exhortation of the Body of Christ. Not every man or woman of God has the exact same flavour.

God doesn't turn out cookie-cutter Christians. There is room in the world for all that God provides to get His message out.

No, he is not a false teacher. You have no clue about his church and how it operates. What you see on TV is only a tiny portion of what goes on in the life of his church. You and far too many others are making a false judgments based on only snippets of information. That, sir, is not wisdom working.