IGNORED

New York woman arrested after Pit Bull attack.

missmuffet

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,710
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

Any breed can snap, but omega is right pits are far more likely to snap then say a Labrador. They were bred to fight, it is in their nature. Not saying their bad dogs, my brother has one have a friend who raises and breeds competition quality pits, they are good dogs, and I'm not saying you shouldn't have one, but to have one and ignore the basic facts about the breed is irresponsible pet ownership.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  1,393
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  4

Back on April 24, 1997, in Geary County KS, between the town of Milford and Junction City and about a mile from Ft. Riley 3 Rottweilers killed a 11 year boy as he and his little brother were attempting to get on a school bus to go to school.  The school bus driver with a bus load of kids had to keep her door shut to protect the rest of the children.  And this should never have had happen as many people in this small rural housing area had notify the police several times about these three dogs roaming around all the time.  The dogs were known to chase GI, on the top of their cars for safety.  After the death of the boy the owners were finally prosecuted.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,875
  • Content Per Day:  0.71
  • Days Won:  9

Due to the absolute immoral stupidity of people like this woman, thousands of pitbulls are destroyed every day.

Pitbulls used to be called nanny dogs, since they took care of children. They were the favorite family dog and appeared on many TV show,s like The Little Rascals. 

My kids used to play with one and it was very gentle with them.I understand it is the way they are raised.

Something like over 60% of dog bite fatalities in the U.S. are due to pitbulls. Unless 60 % of dogs are pitbulls, or unless pitbull owners are statistically horrible, irresponsibile owners, it would be very hard to attribute ths problem to "how they are raised" Clearly, there is something about the breed, that inclines them to be very agressive, dangerously so. I have known quite a few of these dogs, and they can be very sweet. However, statistics seem to indicate also, that these sweet, never hurt a fly dogs, somtimes just snap and go crazy.

To me, owning a pitbull that is allowed in public and/or not kept safely away from people, is similar to living in a city, and firing a gun into the air. You may not be intending to hurt anyone, but odds are that now and then, one of those bullets is going to hit someone. Pitbulls are living accidents just waiting to happen. I like the breed, but let's be honest, it is what it is.

A tiger is more dangerous than a lamb, not because of how it is raised, but because of differences in the nature of the animals.

Actually, there are more dog bites from Golden Retrievers then Pit Bulls.

Pitbulls, when the bite will hang on and shake. Most dogs do that. It is natural for a dog to do.

Publicity has given the pitbull a very bad name, and very undeserved.  Because of that, pitbulls often are teased, or mistreated. Pitbulls are protective (similar to a German Shepherd). Pitbulls are especially protective of  the families children

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,875
  • Content Per Day:  0.71

Pitbulls, when the bite will hang on and shake. Most dogs do that. It is natural for a dog to do.

Publicity has given the pitbull a very bad name, and very undeserved.  Because of that, pitbulls often are teased, or mistreated. Pitbulls are protective (similar to a German Shepherd). Pitbulls are especially protective of  the families children

I feel very strongly about the prejudice against pit bulls. The media has hyped the danger of pitbulls so much that state and city governments promote the killing of pitbulls. Many shelters automatically kill pitbulls. (Many shelters also automatically kill black dogs). If such a campaign was against Tigers, millions of people would be up in arms. Tigers are far more dangerous then pitculls.

In the U.S. in 2014, 42 people died from injuries from dogs. A lot more have died from injuries on bicycles.

The 10th most dangerous dog, involved in the fatality of people is the St. Bernard.

Number 9 is the Great Dane

Number 8 is a Chow Chow. Chow Chow's are protective of their family and need to be raised properly.

7, Dobernan Pincer, again a protective breed and all deaths were in protection of the dobies family. Again, they need to be raised properly

6. Malamute

5. Wolf/Dog hybrid- this really is dealing with an animal pre-disposed to wild protective behavior

4. huskies - they need to be properly trained

3. German Shepherd- due to their use of guard and police dogs. Also need proper training.

2. Rottweilers - bad treatment and improper training.

1. Pit Bull - unfortunately, due to their strength, people have mistreated pit bulls, trained them to be intentionally aggressive, but with proper training are wonderful family dogs.

The two most agressive dogs I have come across personally are Dobermans (these were mistreated), and Golden Retrievers (been knocked down by at least 3 different goldens).  A third was a Springer Spaniel, who, due to over breeding had a genetic defect called Rage Syndrome. The Springer I knew loved to play, but in the middle of tail wagging play, would suddenly and without warning, become agressive and threatening. When they came out of it, they would look surprised and puzzled, ready to continue playing but not understanding why everyone had stopped and backed away. 

Rage Syndrome, also known as Sudden Onset Aggression or (SOA) or Avalanche of Rage Syndrome, is a serious but rare behavioural problem that has been reported most commonly in the English Cocker Spaniel but also in a variety of other dog breeds.

http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/7_6/features/Rage-Syndrome-In-Dogs_5639-1.html

The earmarks of idiopathic aggression include:

• No identifiable trigger stimulus/stimuli

• Intense, explosive aggression

• Onset most commonly reported in dogs 1-3 years old

• Some owners report that their dogs get a glazed, or “possessed” look in their eyes just prior to an idiopathic outburst, or act confused.

• Certain breeds seem more prone to suffer from this condition, including Cocker and Springer Spaniels (hence the once-common terms – Spaniel rage, Cocker rage, and Springer rage), Bernese Mountain Dogs, St. Bernards, Doberman Pinschers, German Shepherds, and Lhasa Apsos. This would suggest a likely genetic component to the problem.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

Due to the absolute immoral stupidity of people like this woman, thousands of pitbulls are destroyed every day.

Pitbulls used to be called nanny dogs, since they took care of children. They were the favorite family dog and appeared on many TV show,s like The Little Rascals. 

My kids used to play with one and it was very gentle with them.I understand it is the way they are raised.

Something like over 60% of dog bite fatalities in the U.S. are due to pitbulls. Unless 60 % of dogs are pitbulls, or unless pitbull owners are statistically horrible, irresponsibile owners, it would be very hard to attribute ths problem to "how they are raised" Clearly, there is something about the breed, that inclines them to be very agressive, dangerously so. I have known quite a few of these dogs, and they can be very sweet. However, statistics seem to indicate also, that these sweet, never hurt a fly dogs, somtimes just snap and go crazy.

To me, owning a pitbull that is allowed in public and/or not kept safely away from people, is similar to living in a city, and firing a gun into the air. You may not be intending to hurt anyone, but odds are that now and then, one of those bullets is going to hit someone. Pitbulls are living accidents just waiting to happen. I like the breed, but let's be honest, it is what it is.

A tiger is more dangerous than a lamb, not because of how it is raised, but because of differences in the nature of the animals.

Are you serious?  I am sure there are bites from mosquitos that from pti bulls also, I would not be surprised to learn there are more chihuahua bites than pitbull bite. I did not mention the number of bites, I spoke to the number bite fatalities, the pitbull is the king of that in the U.S. I also think you are looking at another aspect a bit skewed. You think publicity has given Pitts a bad name? How about the fact that they kill people has gotten them a lot of bad publicity? It what way is killing people people, underserved publicity? What do they need to do to deserve publicity, be used by terrorists against school children maybe? No, that would be the fault of the terrorists. Problem is, that these dogs are owned by regular people, and the dogs sometimes just kill other regular people. It is hard to bring outselves to be blunt about these things, we want to cut the animal some slack, but the statistics argue for the dog being a large part of the problem. We have laws that require people to keep guns in safes, to avoid the harm of innocent people. Compared with pitbulls, that is misdirected. A gun does not arm itself and then run out into the street and kill someone, pitbulls sometimes do! You say, pitbulls hang on and shake, and that is natural, well yeah, that just further makes my point. A quick nip would not be a problem, since they hang on and shake, naturally, that just isistrates what I already said, that the problem is in the nature of the animal. You also point out, that pitbulls are protective of a families children. That could ba also, perhaps if they were not so protective, fewer people would be dieing in a gruesome, painfull, death. You act as though the publicity is part of the problem . . . yet here you are, adding to that, congratulations!

2014 dog bite fatality statistics

• 42 U.S. dog bite-related fatalities occurred in 2014. Despite being regulated in Military Housing areas and over 700 U.S. cities, pit bulls contributed to 64% (27) of these deaths. Pit bulls make up about 6% of the total U.S. dog population.

Wow! That seems to imply that pitbulls are way more likely to be a cause of human fatality, than all other breeds combined! It is fine to advocate for fair treatment for an animal that is only doing what comes naturally to it, but let';s not ignore reality either!

Of course, to be fair, that statistic above also indicates that for 2014, there was on average, less than one pitbull fatality per state, and that since there were 26 deaths by lightning in 2014 (49 is the average), we can conclude that pitbulls are no more dangerous than lightning, and lightning deaths are rare! That is about all I can do in defense of the pitbull - point out that while they are way more dangerous than the average dog, they are not as dangerous all many other things, including driving in a car. Feel better?

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

Then again my son and I were in a house years ago with a lady who had a German Shepherd.I really wanted to get out of that house fast because that dog looked like it was going to lunge at my son any minute.

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Since this is my profession,,,,,,training animals,,,perhaps I can clarify I few mis -perceptions & put thifs to rest,,,,,,,,Honestly,I didn't even click on the article but I have heard this story so many times already..........All breeds have very specific characteristics & when people have the idea in their head that they want a certain breed it would be great if they would first educate themselves on those "characteristics" to see if the "shoe fits",,,,not all breeds are a good fit for all individuals,especially when we are talking about pure bred dogs,which are bred for various things & that is what is inherent ,,,,bred in or "bred out".......

Pit bulls were bred for exactly what their name implys,,,,,,their origin began by pairing  bull mastiffs & bull terriers mostly(& other similar breeds)to encourage that fearless verocity & tenacious behavior that would be needed to survive the "pit',where they kept bulls at bay fogr the bull fighters...........one very prominant characteristic of the breed is that they are a "one master " dog,,,,,,,as much as people would like to defend the breed as a "family type dog"they are not best suited to families or even to "couples".....this of course does not apply to every single pit bull ever bred ,but a a whole they do best with "one" pack leader,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

It is not the aggression that is really the problem,they are no more aggressive than any other dog that is conditioned to be aggressive but there is a very significant & unique trait  that sets this breed apart and why the attacks are often times fatal & the injuries sustained after being attacked by a pit is much worse than any other dog ,,,,,I have worked with K-9's up tp K13 & dogs typically bite & then release ,bite & release,,,,,,,when training attack on command dogs they have to be taught to bite & "hold",,,,,,,the pit bull,on the other hand,does not release until his teeth have met which may resullt in more llbs per square inch but that has not been proven(not to convince me)  Humans have a bite pressure of around 120 lbcs,,,,dogs between 2 & 300 lbs ,compared to a white shark (600 lbs)      I have heard many conflicting results for the "jaw pressure tests" & I cannot tell you if a pit bull has more bite force than any other dog but from experience I can tell you that because they do not "release" it sets them apart in a very dangerous way.........it is in fact like getting bit by a shark ,the shark bites his prey ,holds & shakes,,,,,,,,

So,is this the dog  someone should choose for the family pet,no,,,,,,,,is this the pet that some irresponsible owner with anger issues should have,no......is this dog a good pet at all,absolutely ,,,,,for the right person you could not find a better,more loving ,faithful & loyal animal that would  risk it's life to protect his owner                   Oh I know I will hear about John & Janes wonderful pit who is great with their 6 toddlers,,,,, well,good for them but a dog is an animal & animals re-act to different situations instinctively and an accidental bite by a pit bull is no joke,even just "playing" ,someone can be hurt badly.......

It saddens me that people can just go pick out whatever dog they want & there are no laws to govern what dog goes where,,,,,,,,,,,,,,most people even "love "their pets to death because of ignorance,,,,,they could live much longer ,healthier lives in many cases,,,,,,,,poor diet,mishandling,not the proper vet care etc.......the list goes on & on,,,,,,Oh dear,people adopt & bear children that should nbot be parents by any stretch of the imagination ,,,so what can I say?                               With love-in Christ,Kwik

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

I just thought I might add,,,,,,,in all my tears of experience ,,,,the breeds I find to be most aggressive & just an overall "bad attitude" is the chihuaha & most toy & tiny breeds,,,,,this is no great mystery,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,study pack behavior & learn why,,,,it is called "head over"

The hardest "problem" to address with canines is the "fear biter",,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,fear biters are also usually very small dogs,,,,again,head over issues & with larger animals it is a sure sign that the animal was abused,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,                      Love,Kwik

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

That is a very good point Kwik, and choosing a breed that is suitable to one's situation, needs, personality, etc.

I am very fond of border collies, and corgis, for their intelligence. However, they are  high energy breeds, and they deserve an owner, which will provide them with lots of oportunity to get exercise, and things to make their lives interesting. That does not describe me.

My personality type is better suited to tropical fish and snakes, things that require little personal attention. As far as snakes go, I used to keep rattlesnakes as pets, That would horrify some people. I would not however, let those animals interact with other people, even though I could handle some of them freely and they would not bite me, I understood that it is still a dangerous animal by nature, and the public deserves to be kept safe, and not have me as an irresponsible owner.

Edited by Omegaman 3.0

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

my favorite is the Lab

d6ecdbe271ae6286d9d351437bb736fb.jpg