TSDBB

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,379
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  2

Ever read the history of the Wycliffe Bible, the Consul of Constance, Pope Martin V, etc ? 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,322
  • Content Per Day:  7.99
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

Yes they were serious about the subject (!) Off with their heads, burn em at the stake, torture them till they recant, so that the one who did
the work did it with no self preservation in mind- only the purpose of God could move a heart to do so under such threat.

They even exhumed his body, burned it, and cast the ashes in the river. 

Imagine your home being ransacked by armed soldiers ( the Church of England backed by the crown ) or armed RCC officials, to look for a Bible !

It's hard to imagine really, but it happened ! And may happen again....

I do not really know the history of KJV, nor why it is called the Authorized Version. Had done some research about it years ago, when I was choosing my preferred version, but I'd already forgotten much about what I learned :(

Most Christians do not know the history of the KJV, and they have also been fed anti-KJV propaganda in order to promote modern versions. It was primarily the Puritans (the most conservative Christians within the Church of England) who approached James 1 for a new translation which would avoid some of the pitfalls of the previous English translations, and would in fact be recognized as the leading translation. It is called "the Authorized Version" because it was authorized by the king as the only translation to be used in the churches within the Church of England (a state church).  

The quality of this translation was such that it not only molded the English language, but is recognized as a classic by linguistic scholars. Even the promoters of the Revised Version acknowledged its outstanding position among Bible translation. More importantly, God has greatly blessed this faithful translation in bringing multitudes to Christ and establishing the faith of multitudes of Christians over 400 years throughout the world. A recent survey shows that the majority of Americans who read their Bibles use the KJV. It is also interesting to note that any time Hollywood movies quote the Bible, they use the language of the KJV.

Some people have mentioned the NKJV, and it was originally touted as an update version of the KJV.  But as usual, the people who worked on this translation went beyond the bounds of their mandate and introduced unnecessary changes to reduce the reliability of this translation. The flaws of the NKJV would require a separate discussion.

I just want to make one thing clear concerning anything I said about the NKJV Bible.  I don't use it.  I only use the KJV Bible, and that is the only translation I fully trust.  I have just seen how bad most of the new translations are, and how they have even removed portions of the text, so for those who absolutely won't read the KJV Bible because they don't like the old English, I would rather point them to the NKJV Bible than the other modern English translations simply because it is by far the lesser of a multitude of evils.  For accuracy, I prefer to use a 1611 KJV Bible above all others.

@All The Good Names Are Taken, I wouldn't doubt that there will come a day when there will be an attack on Bible translations where some will try to remove them, but if that happens, it will be an assault on the KJV Bible, not the rest. 

@All The Good Names Are Taken, I wouldn't doubt that there will come a day when there will be an attack on Bible translations where some will try to remove them, but if that happens, it will be an assault on the KJV Bible, not the rest. 

Understood. I have no argument with folks who prefer the KJV ( use it myself most often ). Before the age of online Bibles and such, I obtained copies of quite a few translations, and cross-referenced each in my studies. It was a wonderful but painstaking task, LOL. 

I also studied the sources of each, and how the text was chosen. It's an amazing study in and of itself. It's surprising that there are many folks who don't realize that there are, and were no complete or even original manuscripts from which our translations of God's Word are derived. Thankfully, His Word is preserved and that is a promise that will forever stand. 

Those who seek Him, will find Him. He will open the door for anyone who knocks. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,457
  • Content Per Day:  1.69
  • Days Won:  37

Imagine your home being ransacked by armed soldiers ( the Church of England backed by the crown ) or armed RCC officials, to look for a Bible !

Bibles such as the 'Thou Shalt' bible were burned.

Do you know the history of the Thou Shalt bible?

Bible confiscation and burning was pretty common in all quarters, and even happens now if needed.

Edited by thereselittleflower

Bibles such as the 'Thou Shalt' bible were burned.

Do you know the history of the Thou Shalt bible?

You mean the 1631 KJV misprint ? Yes sis. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,727
  • Content Per Day:  1.03
  • Days Won:  5

The longer I live and seek to understand the God that made me the more I begin to understand things like all authority being given by him.  I begin to wonder just how much authority James had to authorize a version of scripture deemed acceptable for use by the English speaking peoples.  

gdemoss

Ecclesiastes 8:4   Where the word of a king is, there is power: and who may say unto him, What doest thou?

I like this one in Daniel also

Daniel 4:25   That they shall drive thee from men, and thy dwelling shall be with the beasts of the field, and they shall make thee to eat grass as oxen, and they shall wet thee with the dew of heaven, and seven times shall pass over thee, till thou know that the most High ruleth in the kingdom of men, and giveth it to whomsoever he will.

Every King that ever ruled is there because God put him there to fulfill his purpose for a specific job. 

If it wasn't for King James, we would still have have the the scriptures preached to us in Latin, a language we don't know, or be persecuted for having  a few other translations, not completed nor perfected, and translated only by individuals, and not a team using a careful translation process and without prejudice.

Edited by Sister

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  236
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  1

@ Ezra. Thanks for the info about the KJV. Now I can sound knowledgeable if somebody asks me something about its history :D

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

The longer I live and seek to understand the God that made me the more I begin to understand things like all authority being given by him.  I begin to wonder just how much authority James had to authorize a version of scripture deemed acceptable for use by the English speaking peoples.  

gdemoss

Ecclesiastes 8:4   Where the word of a king is, there is power: and who may say unto him, What doest thou?

I like this one in Daniel also

Daniel 4:25   That they shall drive thee from men, and thy dwelling shall be with the beasts of the field, and they shall make thee to eat grass as oxen, and they shall wet thee with the dew of heaven, and seven times shall pass over thee, till thou know that the most High ruleth in the kingdom of men, and giveth it to whomsoever he will.

Every King that ever ruled is there because God put him there to fulfill his purpose for a specific job. 

If it wasn't for King James, we would still have have the the scriptures preached to us in Latin, a language we don't know, or be persecuted for having  a few other translations, not completed nor perfected, and translated only by individuals, and not a team using a careful translation process and without prejudice.

Really? What about the other English Bibles from before the King James Version?