OakWood

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,457
  • Content Per Day:  1.68
  • Days Won:  37

There is a big difference between buying insurance and buying a gun.  How you protect yourself is the issue.

Since guns are carried for self-protection why is this an issue?

There are people who are very uncomfortable with the idea of carrying guns.    There are people who feel it is not how God calls us to protect ourselves, that self protection stops at the point of doing to someone else what they are about to do to you.

The question they raise is, did the Apostles carry weapons?   Did believers who faced extreme persecution in the first centuries carry weapons to protect themselves?

This is not as simple an issue as buying house insurance or homeowner's insurance, etc. and I don't believe one should try to make it be.  There are life and death ethical questions one must deal with in getting a gun that one does not have to deal with when buying insurance.

The apostles did carry weapons. Peter carried a sword.

when?

Luke 22

36 And He said to them, But now, he who has a purse, let him take it , and likewise his wallet. And he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one.
37 For I say to you that this which is written must yet be accomplished in Me, "And he was reckoned among the transgressors"; for the things concerning Me have an end.
38 And they said, Lord, behold, here are two swords. And He said to them, It is enough.

That was before Jesus suffered, died and was buried and rose again on the third day and ascended into heaven.

That was under the Old Covenant.

When did Peter carry a sword after Jesus Ascended and the Holy Spirit came?

Yes, but everything Jesus taught was under the Old Covenant.  So anything Jesus said, if we don't like it, we can brush it off as being under the "Old Covenant?"    You really need to think things through before posting nonsense like that.

Did Jesus teach to carry weapons?   One time as he was about to be taken he says something about swords - there were more than 2 there but 2 swords were enough - and when one was used Jesus said to stop and healed the wound inflicted by Peter.

This does not lend itself to be a teaching.

Nowhere does Jesus or the Apostles teach we are to fight back.

In fact, Jesus actually teaches the opposite:

Love Your Enemies

Matthew 5:39
38"You have heard that it was said, 'AN EYE FOR AN EYE, AND A TOOTH FOR A TOOTH.' 39"But I say to you, do not resist an evil person; but whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also.40"If anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, let him have your coat also.

Jesus' explicit teaching is this "do not resist an evil person"

What if a criminal was trying to kill a child in front of you? Do you have the right to protect the innocent child even if it meant killing the criminal? 

Then I would try to do everything I could to stop it.

I would apply the words of Jesus to myself.

So you would kill a criminal to protect a child? So in that case having a gun is ok?

I've never said having a gun is not ok.   

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.75
  • Days Won:  226

So I am shot and I die as a martyr.I go to heaven.I do not see a problem with that.I definitely am not going to worry about it.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,799
  • Content Per Day:  6.19
  • Days Won:  58

So I am shot and I die as a martyr.I go to heaven.I do not see a problem with that.I definitely am not going to worry about it.

If you read carefully, you will see that people here are talking about defending their loved ones. Not themselves only.

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,457
  • Content Per Day:  1.68
  • Days Won:  37

If you read carefully, you will see that people here are talking about defending their loved ones. Not themselves only.

And yet, even after all this discussion, I think back to the christians of the first centuries, and I see no stories of them rising up to defend their families with weapons.

• Followers:  27
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,715
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

so, your ok with metal detectors and living in a police state because your afraid of being shot, but at the same time your not afraid to be shot? 

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,260
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

we're not just talking about this one incident when we discuss guns Peep..     it's not about being a martyr, it's about dieing a senseless death or experience serious pain or mental things the rest of your life......     I've had a person tell me that he was going to knock me in the head, tie me up and rape my wife in front of me then kill us both.....       tell me that you would set by and watch that happen....

The local police listened to the phone call that I just happened to have recorded and told me to shoot him on sight if he ever came to my house...

I don't think many of you understand the evil in people's hearts and what they can do to you.....    Look at the families of these people here.....    they are pretty much devastated and will be for years to come...

What really upsets me is that there was an armed vet a bit over a hundred yards away that started to run to the building where the shooting was coming from and the staff there stopped him from helping....    for a person in good shape like this gentleman is it would only take about 45 seconds to cover that distance and being a trained vet, no telling how many he might have saved....     then we would be having a whole different conversation here.

and btw edited to ask....   How many had heard of the guy that was stopped from helping....   haven't seen that on a single main stream news source....

Edited by other one

• Followers:  27
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,715
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

Im not sure about what your talking about, but there was a 10 year army vet that did charge the gunman, and was shot 7 times for it. Last I heard hes stable and expected to make it, but will have to relearn how to walk.

ORegan.jpg

And there was another in the next building that was headed to help and was armed and was stopped by the school staff...

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.75
  • Days Won:  226

we're not just talking about this one incident when we discuss guns Peep..     it's not about being a martyr, it's about dieing a senseless death or experience serious pain or mental things the rest of your life......     I've had a person tell me that he was going to knock me in the head, tie me up and rape my wife in front of me then kill us both.....       tell me that you would set by and watch that happen....

The local police listened to the phone call that I just happened to have recorded and told me to shoot him on sight if he ever came to my house...

I don't think many of you understand the evil in people's hearts and what they can do to you.....    Look at the families of these people here.....    they are pretty much devastated and will be for years to come...

What really upsets me is that there was an armed vet a bit over a hundred yards away that started to run to the building where the shooting was coming from and the staff there stopped him from helping....    for a person in good shape like this gentleman is it would only take about 45 seconds to cover that distance and being a trained vet, no telling how many he might have saved....     then we would be having a whole different conversation here.

and btw edited to ask....   How many had heard of the guy that was stopped from helping....   haven't seen that on a single main stream news source....

Sometimes God tries to get our attention.If there are a lot of tragedies that happen.I think it will be worse during the tribulation.In fact your children will probably be involved with all these horrible incidents.I pray to God every day oo like I said.I give him my life everyday and I ask for His protection.I tell Him everyday that I trust him and my faith is only in Him.That is all I need.I am not afraid.I have no guns or security what so ever and I live in the country in a very,very remote area.I am not stupid I lock my doors and windows.The only thing I have found around here are some deer and coyotes.

Sometimes God tries to get our attention.If there are a lot of tragedies that happen.I think it will be worse during the tribulation.In fact your children will probably be involved with all these horrible incidents.I pray to God every day oo like I said.I give him my life everyday and I ask for His protection.I tell Him everyday that I trust him and my faith is only in Him.That is all I need.I am not afraid.I have no guns or security what so ever and I live in the country in a very,very remote area.I am not stupid I lock my doors and windows.The only thing I have found around here are some deer and coyotes.

Well, if you just don't come back some day I'll assume one of those crazy Mexicans got you...