IGNORED

Question about praying to Saints in churches.

layhoma

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  957
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,623
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

On 12/5/2015 at 9:28 AM, layhoma said:

I have been attending this Church for several years.  I believed it's an Anglican based church. 99% of the praise & worship services I felt comfortable with except for the 1%. I tried to disregard this incident that happened about 3-4 times but I felt a great sense of unease on my last service. 

The preacher had a long sermon about praying to St Andrew ....etc Natually my mind was blocked. Suffice to say I'm a bible following Christian. I hope I don't offend any bros or sis who are catholic but I choose to believe that the only prayers I'm allowed to make are those directed to the Triune God. Trinity. It is extremely challenging for me to accept the concept of praying to a Saint so he could more effectively relay our prayers to the Almighty. That is the concept no ? 

I need your sharing and opinion on this subject. You don't have to reveal your denomination, it's irrelevant. This isn't a debate. I'm just here to seek enlightenment and whether my reaction is justified. Thanks

Pray to?  Or ask  for prayer by?

There is some difference. I  for example to not pray to my wife, but I ask her for her intercessory prayer in my behalf all the time.

One does not pray to creation,  but instead to the creator. Yet all may join in the prayer made known by the person in need of  such prayers. And there is power in the prayers of the saints in Christ Jesus.

So what of the dead? Are they going to hear my prayer and then give intercessory prayer in my behalf? If I believe that to be so I might  as well ask of any dead saint  to pray for my needs. But why as I have access to God myself?

I am not aware of any Biblical information that makes me want to  be praying to any  so called patron saint a dead person in the belief that they are in charge of the area of my need.

I find no support for the idea of there being a co-redemptress either that I should be praying through to God. So I pray to God the Father  in the  name of my redeemer Jesus who is God the son, made known to me through the comforter the Holy Spirit. I pray direct.

As to a church where it's leadership it's priests or pastors pray to  saints, I'm not staying there for long. I might find I enjoy the company, but not the worship. For it is misdirected and perhaps valueless as result. If there are icons and idols  for aids in praying to created beings or asking their intercession in my behalf,  I am out of there too. For God removed the obstacles between He and me. I am not going to then re-erect them.

Edited by Neighbor

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.10
  • Days Won:  78

What Zoltan has said is the absolute truth; we, as believers, are not to pray to saints because they are dead humans and we are only to pray to the One True God, no one else.