IGNORED

should all real Christians drink poison?

tigger two

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  39
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Mark 16:17, 18 "And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them...." - KJV.  [My emphasis added]

This is the justification for honest believers in some churches who handle rattlesnakes and drink poison as part of their church service.  They view it as a command from Jesus himself.

What do you think?

Edited by tigger two

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,128
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Matt 4:7-8

7 Jesus said to him, "On the other hand, it is written, 'You shall not put the Lord your God to the test.'"
NASB

Deut 6:16-17

16 "You shall not put the Lord your God to the test, as you tested Him at Massah.
NASB

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,457
  • Content Per Day:  1.69
  • Days Won:  37

4 minutes ago, other one said:

Matt 4:7-8

7 Jesus said to him, "On the other hand, it is written, 'You shall not put the Lord your God to the test.'"
NASB

Deut 6:16-17

16 "You shall not put the Lord your God to the test, as you tested Him at Massah.
NASB

This ^

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

Real Christians should not intentionally do stupid things. People in general, Christian or not, should not do stupid things. Some questions do not need to be asked or answered, and threads about them might have short lives, just as poison drinkers might.

Short answer is :

NO!

Drinking poison is foolish, and sounds more like the devil telling Jesus "Jump of this tall building, you won't get hurt" than it sounds like an instruction from God. Besides that, it is not even presented it the text as an instruction, it is presented as something that would happen.

In Acts 28 we read:

3 But when Paul had gathered a bundle of sticks and laid them on the fire, a viper came out because of the heat and fastened itself on his hand. 4 When the natives saw the creature hanging from his hand, they began saying to one another, “Undoubtedly this man is a murderer, and though he has been saved from the sea, justice has not allowed him to live.” 5 However he shook the creature off into the fire and suffered no harm. 6 But they were expecting that he was about to swell up or suddenly fall down dead. But after they had waited a long time and had seen nothing unusual happen to him, they changed their minds and began to say that he was a god.

So, at least there is a case, where it turned out to be true. I wouldn't count on it, not because I do not believe, but because it is not in God's will for me, to act like an idiot.

This is the sort of question one usually expects from people who read athiest websites looking for things to ask Christians - just old, tired out questions which have already be answered for hundreds of year - I wish they would get some new material.

http://www.gotquestions.org/Mark-16-9-20.html