• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  154
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,245
  • Content Per Day:  0.78
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/11/1984

A wicked generation seeks a sign.  I'm not talking about knowing other's fruits or being interested in what others believe, I am talking about challenging the authority of God and His Word, which is the context in which I believe Jesus Himself presented those words as He spoke them Himself.  It is a wicked thing to call into doubt God's Word.  The first mention of the devil is of him doing just that: did God REALLY say that?  No, God didn't even say what he was presenting to Eve, which is that they could not eat of any of the trees in the garden.  They could.  But he just wanted to bring into focus the one thing they could not have.

Sadly, I have noticed this not just from non-believers, but those professing belief in Christ.  Which begs the question, what on earth is Christendom coming to?  For if we believe in Jesus Christ we must believe in the Word of God, for He is the very Living Word of the True God Himself!  His authority is not up for question or debate, because as a believer we signed up to come under that very same authority.  Not to pick and choose when and how we can use it to our advantage.  And we did not submit blindly, but with Him actually giving us a revelation of salvation, which we then accepted.

I see this as a definite part of the great falling away.  Grieving stuff.  

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,457
  • Content Per Day:  1.69
  • Days Won:  37

Seeking a sign has to do with seeing something miraculous.   This isn't challenging the authority of God, but lacking faith, for faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Well, if you challenge God's Word you're asking for something else more, because the authority of God's Word just doesn't cut it for you, such as say, a sign...

And anyway, if they are challenging God's Word , they are not going to want to be obvious about it.  Which is pretty hard to do if one seems to find a problem every time the Word off God is presented to them.

11 minutes ago, *Zion* said:

Well, if you challenge God's Word you're asking for something else more, because the authority of God's Word just doesn't cut it for you, such as say, a sign...

I think this is very dangerous ground to tread here.

God gives signs to help our belief.   Look at Doubting Thomas.    He would not believe unless he saw Jesus for himself and touched his wounds.  Jesus specifically allowed this.

Jesus did many signs and wonders so people could more easily believe.

This was not about challenging God's words.  It was about being weak in faith.  If we say all who are weak in faith are evil, we are on very, very dangerous ground.

We must be careful not to paint with too broad a brush.

That's exactly what I would say.  In that particular case, Thomas was not challenging God's Word or authority.  Many of the disciples then did not understand that Jesus must die and then rise again, it was hidden from their eyes until it came to pass, and their hindsight then confirmed the very prophecies and scriptures given to them from long before.  

But the problem does arise when people do challenge God's Word.  Then it does become very dangerous ground indeed.  No brush needed to see that picture clearly.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  194
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/08/1973

mmm, not sure did i understand it right, but, let me tell you, when that asking a sign sometimes is allowed 

One day, when my son was just born, one woman visited me and told me - this week we have Shrove Sunday, so you are not allowed to eat 3 days!
 i told her - but how i can do that? i feed my kid with breast and if i dont eat - i will loose my milk!
she told me - buy milk for you baby from store, but you dont have any right to eat, or Lord will be mad on you!
we argue and she left, mad at me.
i got a word
Matthew 9-13
But go and learn what this means: ‘I desire mercy, not sacrifice.’ For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.”

i wondered - what Lord wanted to say me, then i got another

Matthew 12 - 11
He said to them, “If any of you has a sheep and it falls into a pit on the Sabbath, will you not take hold of it and lift it out? 12 How much more valuable is a person than a sheep! Therefore it is lawful to do good on the Sabbath.”

i was so glad, but... i wasnt sure yet, so i asked a sign
i asked, that 2 white doves to fly under my window and stay there a bit.

was cloudy day with little rain.suddenly appeared a hole in the clouds and the sun's rays shone to my window. i rise my eyes and from roof of opposite home, suddenly 2 white doves fly up. they made a half circle and landed right under my window. they were there just about less then minute and fly away.

and i got word again, little whisper

‘I desire mercy, not sacrifice.’

not Jesus not Father didnt had nothing against asking a sign, when i needed it.

i try to not do it and for 20+ years did it just few times.

usually , if i am not sure, what i heard or who is talking, i just ask repeat.

• Topic Count:  134
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.34
  • Days Won:  20

10 hours ago, *Zion* said:

I see this as a definite part of the great falling away.  Grieving stuff.  

Since we have the written Word of God, seeking for signs and wonders indicates unbelief.  It was true when Christ walked the earth, and it is true today.  When the Antichrist appears he will show signs and lying wonders to deceive the world. 

3 minutes ago, Ezra said:

Since we have the written Word of God, seeking for signs and wonders indicates unbelief.  It was true when Christ walked the earth, and it is true today.  When the Antichrist appears he will show signs and lying wonders to deceive the world. 

It might.

It might also indicate weak belief.

We should be careful not to pain with too broad a brush.

We should all cry  "Lord, I believe!  Help thou mine unbelief !"  Mark 9:24

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  194
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/08/1973

3 minutes ago, Ezra said:

seeking for signs and wonders indicates unbelief.

signs and wonders are really just how spiritual laws reflect on physical life.