• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,799
  • Content Per Day:  6.19
  • Days Won:  58

3 hours ago, artsylady said:

Well apparently (says jade) this site wont let me post or quote something by you, so I have to do it this way. This is jade speaking not artsy.  In one of your posts you said you came here to do battle with us. Really? Is that good? Is that Christlike?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,799
  • Content Per Day:  6.19
  • Days Won:  58

3 hours ago, artsylady said:

Per your post, again jade speaking and not artsylady, that has been used in multiple advertisements for some investment scheme. I have seen it over and over again. So I doubt its validity.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,491
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/02/1971

34 minutes ago, Vendtre said:

Why?  What value does that gold or silver hold?  Can you eat it?  Can your plow with it?  Can you defend yourself with it? 

Gold has value now because there is some central system to says what it's value is. That system won't be there in the event of a collapse. 

People still perceive value even in a collapse.  If I have 100,000 hay bales and want to trade them before winter sets in, I need something of value I can carry and trade for anything I might need, and I can store gold over winter with no loss of value, unlike hay.  Basically same reasons as in history, I need a form of currency.  If there is a collapse, what currency will be trusted?  A new currency yet to be formed, or an age proven acceptable, widely recognized one?

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,420
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Days Won:  4

4 minutes ago, hmbld said:

People still perceive value even in a collapse.  If I have 100,000 hay bales and want to trade them before winter sets in, I need something of value I can carry and trade for anything I might need, and I can store gold over winter with no loss of value, unlike hay.  Basically same reasons as in history, I need a form of currency.  If there is a collapse, what currency will be trusted?  A new currency yet to be formed, or an age proven acceptable, widely recognized one?

A currency with some sort of intrinsic value, one that serves you a better use than making ear rings

Just now, Vendtre said:

A currency with some sort of intrinsic value, one that serves you a better use than making ear rings

Ok, the world economy just collapsed.  I have 100,000 hay bales, and want to get them hauled out and sold before winter.  What currency do you hold that I will trust?  I need something I can carry and store, thanks.

3 minutes ago, hmbld said:

Ok, the world economy just collapsed.  I have 100,000 hay bales, and want to get them hauled out and sold before winter.  What currency do you hold that I will trust?  I need something I can carry and store, thanks.

Chances are most sit there and rot. But then again if you are willing to trade something of true value for the gold I would be happy to oblige.   You can feed your cows the gold, I will feed mine the hay

Just now, Vendtre said:

Chances are most sit there and rot. But then again if you are willing to trade something of true value for the gold I would be happy to oblige.   You can feed your cows the gold, I will feed mine the hay

I'm trying to keep this simple and I can't figure out if I am just so disagreeable or what is going on?  I have no cows, I can leave most of my hay sit and rot, but then there are a lot of people who have more cattle than what their land can support, so they need my hay or their cattle will die.  If nobody has a currency, cattle herds all over the world will die, then people will have no hamburgers, etc.  Someone is going to be smart enough to come up with a way to continue, what will have true value that everyone will immediately accept?  I'm genuinely listening, not trying to argue.  Someone has a lot of cattle and really wants to buy my hay, what is better than gold, I have everything I need, but I want to sell my hay.  

4 minutes ago, hmbld said:

I'm trying to keep this simple and I can't figure out if I am just so disagreeable or what is going on?  I have no cows, I can leave most of my hay sit and rot, but then there are a lot of people who have more cattle than what their land can support, so they need my hay or their cattle will die.  If nobody has a currency, cattle herds all over the world will die, then people will have no hamburgers, etc.  Someone is going to be smart enough to come up with a way to continue, what will have true value that everyone will immediately accept?  I'm genuinely listening, not trying to argue.  Someone has a lot of cattle and really wants to buy my hay, what is better than gold, I have everything I need, but I want to sell my hay.  

Maybe instead of gold the guy with the heard of cattle gives you one or two.  Which would be more useful in a world with no viable economic system? 

If I am the one with the hay that is what I am asking for.  

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.09
  • Days Won:  78

1 hour ago, Vendtre said:

Viable is the most important word.  Gold had value then because there was a viable economic system in place to give gold its value.

In the scenario we are speaking of that is not the case.  Would you trade food or ammo for gold in the aftermath of an economic apocalypse? 

What purpose will gold serve in such an environment?

I look to the economic collapses of Germany and Japan, post WW2, for guidance.  Those countries were devastated; absolute meltdowns of their economies.  But they didn't go back to a hunter/gatherer society.  Their economies had to be rebuilt and gold and silver were definitely useful until that happened.  Again the use of 'viable' just isn't correct.  That word simply means able to survive, to live.  It's not about the viability of an economic system; we know that it will always resurrect eventually.  It's about the processes that are put in place and whether they are sufficient to grow an economy.  Gold and silver have been, and will be, the basis for that growth.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.09
  • Days Won:  78

30 minutes ago, Vendtre said:
32 minutes ago, Vendtre said:

Maybe instead of gold the guy with the heard of cattle gives you one or two.  Which would be more useful in a world with no viable economic system? 

I think this whole discussion has gone way off topic as usual.