Lavender

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  148
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

Can I talk to Jesus or do I only talk to God? 

Ok well it might seem like a simple question but as a New Christian I'm unsure of this.  I asked the question to the "Got questions" website but didn't get a specific answer for this.  Instead it linked me to an article on how to pray to God.

I was talking to Jesus (not praying to Jesus just God) and talking to God but then I read that you should only pray to God.  I couldn't find anywhere about talking to Jesus just talking to God.  However I've read about people saying about having a relationship with Jesus and calling out to him when they need help so I'm a bit confused.

So can I talk to Jesus or do I only talk to God?  If the answer relates to the Trinity please explain how.  I've done quite a bit of reading about the Trinity and I kind of understand it.

Sorry if this post is confusing.  I'm confused.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  52
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  12/30/1968

Romans 8:26 - And the Holy Spirit helps us in our weakness. For example, we don't know what God wants us to pray for. But the Holy Spirit prays for us with groanings that cannot be expressed in words.

First of all, your doing fine. there are a lot of verses on prayer - you could Google it but I expect you will get some helpful replies here. God hears you heart, not your words. When you care for and respect someone the natural thing that comes from that is concern that he will accept you; you try to get things right so as not to offend. You question is loving towards God and that speaks volumes.

Here are a few places to start.

John 15:7 - “If you abide in me and my words abide in you, you can ask for anything you want, and you’ll receive it.

John 15:16 - You have not chosen me, but I have chosen you. I have appointed you to go and produce fruit that will last, so that whatever you ask the Father in my (Jesus) name, he will give it to you.

Jeremiah 33:3 - Call to me and I’ll answer you, and will tell you about great and hidden things that you don’t know.

Matthew 6:7-8 - When you are praying, don’t say meaningless things like the unbelievers do, because they think they will be heard by being so wordy. Don’t be like them, because your Father knows what you need before you ask him.

I ask that God will bless and grow you through His word, may His truth be revealed to you as you search for Him. I ask these things in Jesus name, amen!

Edited by johnc5055

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.10
  • Days Won:  78

1 hour ago, Lavender said:

Can I talk to Jesus or do I only talk to God? 

Ok well it might seem like a simple question but as a New Christian I'm unsure of this.  I asked the question to the "Got questions" website but didn't get a specific answer for this.  Instead it linked me to an article on how to pray to God.

I was talking to Jesus (not praying to Jesus just God) and talking to God but then I read that you should only pray to God.  I couldn't find anywhere about talking to Jesus just talking to God.  However I've read about people saying about having a relationship with Jesus and calling out to him when they need help so I'm a bit confused.

So can I talk to Jesus or do I only talk to God?  If the answer relates to the Trinity please explain how.  I've done quite a bit of reading about the Trinity and I kind of understand it.

Sorry if this post is confusing.  I'm confused.

Yours is a valid question, Lavender.  You can pray to Jesus or pray to God because Jesus IS God.  Remember God the father, God the Son, God the Holy Spirit.  They are the three parts of our triune God.  So go ahead and pray to whichever one you want to.  Your prayers will be heard.  The only thing to worry about is NOT praying. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

4 hours ago, MorningGlory said:

Yours is a valid question, Lavender.  You can pray to Jesus or pray to God because Jesus IS God.  Remember God the father, God the Son, God the Holy Spirit.  They are the three parts of our triune God.  So go ahead and pray to whichever one you want to.  Your prayers will be heard.  The only thing to worry about is NOT praying. 

Right, God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.  Three in One.  

11 hours ago, johnc5055 said:

Romans 8:26 - And the Holy Spirit helps us in our weakness. For example, we don't know what God wants us to pray for. But the Holy Spirit prays for us with groanings that cannot be expressed in words.

First of all, your doing fine. there are a lot of verses on prayer - you could Google it but I expect you will get some helpful replies here. God hears you heart, not your words. When you care for and respect someone the natural thing that comes from that is concern that he will accept you; you try to get things right so as not to offend. You question is loving towards God and that speaks volumes.

Here are a few places to start.

John 15:7 - “If you abide in me and my words abide in you, you can ask for anything you want, and you’ll receive it.

John 15:16 - You have not chosen me, but I have chosen you. I have appointed you to go and produce fruit that will last, so that whatever you ask the Father in my (Jesus) name, he will give it to you.

Jeremiah 33:3 - Call to me and I’ll answer you, and will tell you about great and hidden things that you don’t know.

Matthew 6:7-8 - When you are praying, don’t say meaningless things like the unbelievers do, because they think they will be heard by being so wordy. Don’t be like them, because your Father knows what you need before you ask him.

I ask that God will bless and grow you through His word, may His truth be revealed to you as you search for Him. I ask these things in Jesus name, amen!

Thank you for your encouraging and helpful words johnc5055.

10 hours ago, MorningGlory said:

10 hours ago, Cletus said:

Its hard for new Christians to get their head wrapped around the fact that Jesus is God.  The Father, The Word, And the Holy Ghost... and these three are one.  His name Emmanuel means literally, God with us or God is with us.  Several times Jesus claims to be God and even in scripture several times refers to Himself as "I AM"  of course its not capitalized and easy to read over in english.  Dont worry over not understanding this.  This is meat.  Even when I was a babe in Christ it took awhile for this knowledge to grow in me. 

Now when Jesus dwelt among us He gave instructions on how to pray.  He told us to pray to the Father...  Our Father who art in Heaven, hallowed be Thy name... 

A lot of people when they pray dont say Father, they say Lord Jesus, or Jesus.  It probably dont really matter.  God hears good. 

The trinity is three parts.  We are made in His likeness and image.  We have a body, a spirit, and a soul. 

Edit:  Ask God to show this to you and to reveal Himself to you so that you may know Him.

5 hours ago, RustyAngeL said:

Right, God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.  Three in One.  

Thank you MorningGlory, Cletus and RustyAngel for clarifying this for me.  I didn't want to be doing the wrong thing and now I can stop worrying. 

One further question.  Can you just talk to Jesus/God about stuff during your day?  I don't mean praying specifically for something.  Just chatting to Jesus/God.  I do pray everyday but I also just talk sometimes about things during my day.

• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

4 hours ago, Lavender said:

Thank you MorningGlory, Cletus and RustyAngel for clarifying this for me.  I didn't want to be doing the wrong thing and now I can stop worrying. 

One further question.  Can you just talk to Jesus/God about stuff during your day?  I don't mean praying specifically for something.  Just chatting to Jesus/God.  I do pray everyday but I also just talk sometimes about things during my day.

You bet you can.  God is always there.  Talk to Him just like you talk with a best and cherished friend because He is your best friend.  You don't have to have fancy words.  Don't force it or fight it,  just talk.  Tell Him first you love Him then share your day with Him.   Your cares and your concerns.  The Bible says "casting all your cares on Him because He cares for you.  I got up this morning and it was clear and beautiful, I just said, " wow Lord what a beautiful day"  The more you just talk to Him the easier it becomes, pretty soon it will like breathing.  Yesterday it was dark, cloudy and rainy.  We got a big thunderstorm.  I love storms.  I just stood out under my porch and just praised Him the the thunder and lightening.  I love storms because it reminds me that no mater how out of control things may seem in life, God still has it all in His control.  So just carry on a conversation with him.  Be sure to listen too.  You will know in your spirit when He is speaking to you.  You won't hear a voice with your ears but you will know for sure He's right there.

Because He Lives!! RustyAngeL

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  41
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,324
  • Content Per Day:  1.64
  • Days Won:  2

1 hour ago, RustyAngeL said:

You bet you can.  God is always there.  Talk to Him just like you talk with a best and cherished friend because He is your best friend.  You don't have to have fancy words.  Don't force it or fight it,  just talk.  Tell Him first you love Him then share your day with Him.   Your cares and your concerns.  The Bible says "casting all your cares on Him because He cares for you.  I got up this morning and it was clear and beautiful, I just said, " wow Lord what a beautiful day"  The more you just talk to Him the easier it becomes, pretty soon it will like breathing.  Yesterday it was dark, cloudy and rainy.  We got a big thunderstorm.  I love storms.  I just stood out under my porch and just praised Him the the thunder and lightening.  I love storms because it reminds me that no mater how out of control things may seem in life, God still has it all in His control.  So just carry on a conversation with him.  Be sure to listen too.  You will know in your spirit when He is speaking to you.  You won't hear a voice with your ears but you will know for sure He's right there.

Such wonderful and encouraging words, RustyAngel!  God bless you.  :emot-heartbeat:

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,244
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

Amen to all of the above.  

Sometimes I Just pray to "Lord" because that covers them all.  But in my mind I often am addressing Jesus because He walked the earth and is my big brother by adoption as well as my Great High Priest Who is praying for me.  He seems more accessible to me, and He created me.  Father God is so way beyond my comprehension, but Jesus told us to pray to Him.  The Holy Spirit came to glorify Jesus.  Jesus came to glorify our Father.  But sometimes I feel like a little kid who hops up on Daddy God's lap and just bubbles over with all that has been going on today;  the Holy Spirit in us cries out Daddy!   I also talk to God throughout the day.  

Philippians 4 gives some instructions.

(4-7) Be rejoicing in the Lord always. Again I say, Be rejoicing. Let your sweet reasonableness, your forbearance, your being satisfied with less than your due, become known to all men. The Lord is near. Stop worrying about even one thing, but in everything by prayer whose essence is that of worship and devotion and by supplication which is a cry for your personal needs, with thanksgiving let your requests for the things asked for be made known in the presence of God, and the peace of God which surpasses all power of comprehension shall mount guard over your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.  Wuest--Expanded Translation

19 hours ago, RustyAngeL said:

Thank you RustyAngel for such a great explanation. :)