HAZARD

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  320
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  6,830
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Days Won:  1

Some religious groups forbid women wearing makeup, in fact I belonged to one such sect many years ago. Thank God He pulled me out of there !

I stumbled upon this when doing a study on Jezebel;

"Applying eye makeup (kohl) and brushing one’s hair are often connected to flirting in Hebraic thinking. Isaiah 3:16, Jeremiah 4:30, Ezekiel 23:40 and Proverbs 6:24–26 provide examples of women who bat their painted eyes to lure innocent men into adulterous beds. Black kohl is widely incorporated in Bible passages as a symbol of feminine deception and trickery, and its use to paint the area above and below the eyelids is generally considered part of a woman’s arsenal of artifice."

I looked up the Scriptures and found;

Isaiah 3:16, "Moreover the LORD saith, Because the daughters of Zion are haughty, and walk with stretched forth necks and wanton eyes, walking and mincing as they go, and making a tinkling with their feet:"

Jeremiah 4:30, "And when thou art spoiled, what wilt thou do? Though thou clothest thyself with crimson, though thou deckest thee with ornaments of gold, though thou rentest thy face with painting, in vain shalt thou make thyself fair; thy lovers will despise thee, they will seek thy life"

Proverbs 6:24–26, "To keep thee from the evil woman, from the flattery of the tongue of a strange woman. V. 25, Lust not after her beauty in thine heart; neither let her take thee with her eyelids. V. 26, For by means of a whorish woman a man is brought to a piece of bread: and the adulteress7 will hunt for the precious life.

Strong words by our God. The sect I was involved with for about 9 or 10 years were strict Old testament observers, even though they never really observed all the O.T laws and rituals, they only observed what the leader of the church and his ministers said, had to be observed.

I was glad to be out of there and thank God for pulling me out. I'm not judging anyone, and personally I don't worry about what women wear, that's between them and God, not me!

Just asking, purely out of interest, what do Christian women these days think about makeup and the wearing thereof?

Interesting;

The ancient Egyptians are believed to have been the first to use kohl eyeliner, and may have even used some form of chemistry to produce synthetic eye cosmetics. Most traditional kohl was black and made from lead compounds. It was typically kept in powder form in small bottles or jars, and was applied to the eyes using a small rounded or flattened implement. Traditional kohl is typically applied by first oiling the application wand, then dipping the wand into the kohl powder, then wiping the wand across the eye between nearly-closed eyelids. This manner of application tends to allow the powder to settle into the roots of the eyelashes themselves, for a less dramatic look than is available with modern kohl pencils or liquid.

Today, traditionally manufactured kohl eyeliner made with lead compounds is still available in many North African nations. Some medical experts believe the use of these traditional cosmetics contributes to high rates of lead poisoning among North African peoples.

Kohl is an ancient eye cosmetics, traditionally made by grinding stibnite (Sb2 S3).  It is widely used in Soutn Asiaa the Middle East, North Africa, the Horn of Africa, and parts of West Africa as eyeliner, to contour and/or darken the eyelids and as mascara  for the eyelashes. It is worn mostly by women, but also by some men and children.

Kohl has also been used in India as a cosmetic for a long time. In addition, mothers would apply kohl to their infants' eyes soon after birth. Some did this to "strengthen the child's eyes", and others believed it could prevent the child from being cursed by the evil eye.

I found this;

An eye liner advertisement using the name Kohl;

"The kohl pencils are amazing for many uses! This is my go to pencil for the water line on many clients. They are pigmented, easy to use, and stay! If you're looking for a quality pencil, these kohl pencils are absolutely the way to go! The kohl pencils are amazing for many uses! This is my go to pencil for the water line on many clients. They are pigmented, easy to use, and stay! If you're looking for a quality pencil, these kohl pencils are absolutely the way to go! "

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,798
  • Content Per Day:  6.20
  • Days Won:  58

I dont wear make up. Because I cant stand it on my face lol. I didnt wear it when I was unsaved either. I dont care if a woman wears it. A lot of perfume bothers me because of migraines. That I do care about. In my opinion, clothes and attitude contribute to a look of wantonness. 

2 minutes ago, ayin jade said:

I dont wear make up. Because I cant stand it on my face lol. I didnt wear it when I was unsaved either. I dont care if a woman wears it. A lot of perfume bothers me because of migraines. That I do care about. In my opinion, clothes and attitude contribute to a look of wantonness. 

I agree. And some suggestions I haves seen on young women's T. Shirts leave nothing to the imagination. Sad really :(

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.76
  • Days Won:  226

It is not against my religion to wear makeup. I just do not wear it. It is not in my budget. I am one of those rare very very low maintenance conservative females. I just think wearing makeup is a waste of time. I wear very modest crew neck t-shirts and jeans. The world would call me "an odd ball".

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  521
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  0

I don't wear much make up, but it's what is in someone's heart, that God sees and cares about the most. You may see people who on the outside seem to be followers of Christ, but their hearts aren't right. God sees the heart. In that, then our outward appearance in modesty should magnify our love for Him. But, I don't judge people on what they appear like on the outside, because there's much more to them than meets the eye.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  108
  • Content Count:  3,824
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

Some days I wear a good bit and other days  - not so much.

And, yes, the "kohl" look has always been part of my eye makeup.  When Paul spoke of women dressing modestly, most people think he was telling them to cover up their bodies.  Yes, our bodies - both men and women - should be decently covered, but Paul was talking about dressing with propriety rather than to "show" off with "costly array, braided hair, pearls, and fine jewelry."

He didn't forbid these things, but what he was forbidding was the wearing these things and more to the point of portraying one's self as superior because of what your appearance says to others.

It's about the heart.  You can have women who wear makeup and jewelry for themselves who have good and humble hearts.  And you can have women who wear no makeup who believe themselves to be spiritually superior to others and live with a very haughty heart.

Wear it or don't.  It's strictly in individual choice of the individual woman.

If you do wear makeup and jewelry - don't allow that to be the focus of who you are as a woman and don't let that give you a haughty spirit.  If you don't wear it - don't let that lack of makeup lead you to a false humility.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  266
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  05/10/1995

In India, traditional kohl or kajal, as it is called, is made of burning herbal infused wick in clarified butter. The soot is collected and mixed with castor oil or clarified butter and it is used to apply in the eyes with finger. This kohl is harmless and it is applied in baby's eye. It also has cooling properties. So it protects the eyes from heat.

9 minutes ago, Warrior of Jesus said:

In India, traditional kohl or kajal, as it is called, is made of burning herbal infused wick in clarified butter. The soot is collected and mixed with castor oil or clarified butter and it is used to apply in the eyes with finger. This kohl is harmless and it is applied in baby's eye. It also has cooling properties. So it protects the eyes from heat.

many sports people also wear it under their eyes to minimise glare, some Aussi. cricketers for one.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.76
  • Days Won:  226

29 minutes ago, *Deidre* said:

I don't wear much make up, but it's what is in someone's heart, that God sees and cares about the most. You may see people who on the outside seem to be followers of Christ, but their hearts aren't right. God sees the heart. In that, then our outward appearance in modesty should magnify our love for Him. But, I don't judge people on what they appear like on the outside, because there's much more to them than meets the eye.

My mom always told me "You can't judge a book by its cover". Good advice.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68

21 hours ago, Jayne said:

Some days I wear a good bit and other days  - not so much.

And, yes, the "kohl" look has always been part of my eye makeup.  When Paul spoke of women dressing modestly, most people think he was telling them to cover up their bodies.  Yes, our bodies - both men and women - should be decently covered, but Paul was talking about dressing with propriety rather than to "show" off with "costly array, braided hair, pearls, and fine jewelry."

He didn't forbid these things, but what he was forbidding was the wearing these things and more to the point of portraying one's self as superior because of what your appearance says to others.

It's about the heart.  You can have women who wear makeup and jewelry for themselves who have good and humble hearts.  And you can have women who wear no makeup who believe themselves to be spiritually superior to others and live with a very haughty heart.

Wear it or don't.  It's strictly in individual choice of the individual woman.

If you do wear makeup and jewelry - don't allow that to be the focus of who you are as a woman and don't let that give you a haughty spirit.  If you don't wear it - don't let that lack of makeup lead you to a false humility.

:thumbsup:       :clap:         :amen: