• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.79
  • Days Won:  226

1 hour ago, Benchley said:

Do you exemplify The Proverbs 31 Woman?  This should be a simple question for you to accurately answer.

Does it not you? What do you not agree with the OP?

1 hour ago, seraph said:

A spouse that will love her like Christ loves the church... to lead, protect, and serve her... a husband doing that and a woman being the Proverbs 31 wife would inspire each other, with God's help and guidance, to be more and more those ideal spouses.

The Psalm 31 man would:

1. Love the Lord with all his heart.

2. Give himself to his wife 100%.

3. Respect his wife.

4. Is the Spiritual leader in the family

5. Is the perfect example of who Christ is to his family.

I am sure you guys can think of more. :)

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  15
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

2 hours ago, missmuffet said:

If there was a Psalms 31 man what would that look like? What do you think a Christian woman should look for in a future spouse

If there was a Psalms 31 man what would that look like? What do you think a Christian woman should look for in a future spouse?

Many of the duties outlined in Pr 31 are mutual; they apply to both men and women. They are part of the Christian lifestyle.

Mutual Duties Listed in Pr 31:

Display Strength

A wife of noble character who can find? She is worth far more than rubies (v.10). The phrase translated as “virtuous woman” or “woman of noble character” means Eshet CHAYIL in Hebrew. CHAYIL (Strong’s 2428) means to display strength. The word CHAYIL is also used to describe mighty men of valor in the Bible: Josh 1:14, 6:2; Judg 6:12; 2 Kgs 15:20. Men can and should be noble and virtuous (CHAYIL) too.

Do Good

She will do him good … (v.12). As believers, men and women are admonished to “do good” to our enemies (Lu 6:27, 35). Christian men and women are admonished to “do good” and to share with others (He 13:16).

Do No Harm

She brings him good, not harm … (v.12). Husbands are instructed to love their wives just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her (Eph 5:25). Romans 13:10 tells us that “love does no harm.” Therefore, if a husband loves his wife, he will not harm her.

Work With Your Hands

She … works with eager hands (v.13). Christian men and women are called to live a quiet lives, mind our business and “work with our hands” … (1 Th 4:11).

Don’t Be Idle

She … does not eat the bread of idleness (v.27). Paul proclaimed the value of hard work and sternly warned men and women not to be idle (2 Th 3:6-12). “And we urge you, brothers and sisters, warn those who are idle and disruptive, encourage the disheartened, help the weak, be patient with everyone” ( 1 Th 5:14).

Speak With Wisdom

She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue (v.26). “The mouth of the righteous man utters wisdom, and his tongue speaks what is just” (Ps 37:30).

Care for the Poor

She opens her arms to the poor and extends her hands to the needy (v.20). Christian men and women are admonished to care for the poor and needy (Ma 25:34-40).

Fear the Lord

… a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised (v. 30). “Blessed is the man who fears the LORD, who greatly delights in his commandments!” (Ps 112:1)

A Christian husband should also perform many of the duties outlined in Pr 31: displaying strength, doing their spouses good and not harm, working with their hands, not being idle, speaking wisdom, caring for the poor and fearing the Lord. Those responsibilities are simply part of the Christian lifestyle.

An excellent wife who can find? She is far more precious than jewels (v. ‭10). ‬

Most men will proclaim every one his own goodness; but a faithful man, who can find? Pr 20:6

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

6 hours ago, Willa said:

The fact remains that many women have been victimized by physical and verbal abuse.  We live in a fallen world, and not all husbands leave the managing of the household to the wife but are consumed with controlling their wives and children instead of encouraging them to develop their talents and become contributors to society.  They want to keep wives "barefoot and pregnant."   I do not promote woman's lib because it has gone too far in the opposite direction and promotes female domination as well as lesbians.  When women are loved as Christ loves the church and gave Himself for her, we become the Proverbs 31 woman.  We are loved, appreciated and valued.  And when women treat their husbands with the respect of 1 Peter 3, admiring them, honoring and obeying, their husbands become judges at the gates.  :)

Well spoken!

But I always say, give me a household of servants to manage and I will get up before dawn to work.  Meanwhile, give me 3 cups of coffee and I might be able to function by 10 AM.:047:

:rofl:

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

3 hours ago, StanJ said:

What a lot of people don't realize about this ideal woman in Proverbs 31 is that it was written by the King's mother!

Well that would explain why this idealized woman is managing a large household with servants, purchases real estate, is a business manager, etc.!

These aspects about "her" always intimidated me. I could never be that! Savvy? Are you kidding me?

Well, there are other things, too.

I'm am a night owl rather than an early bird.

I don't know a thing about sewing. Sure, I could sew a button on, but I am sure it is not the "proper" way!

I can barely provide for myself, and I'm supposed to extend the wealth of my provision to others? OK, here's my two mites....

Knowing my worth . . . . I've still got a ways to go on that one.

So, as you can see, I am really not a fan of this "Proverbs 31 woman." And I've heard from a lot of women who feel the same way.

So what can we do with this chapter that actually can apply to us women who are not in nobility nor have all these leadership talents and other such traits?

And what can we say about the message the mother was intending for her king son?

I think most of the women who are defensive about the Psalms 31 woman are just simply not the Psalms 31 woman :)

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  107
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,822
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

If King Lemuel is Bathsheba's name for King Solomon, then this was written by her and recorded by Solomon.  If not, then I don't know who this is as King "Lemuel" isn't recorded with all the other kings of Israel and Judah.

Regardless....

Neither Solomon nor any other king took this wise counsel.  In my mind, this isn't a recipe for how wives are to behave - this standard is almost impossible to achieve, but it's wise counsel on how a ruler (or any other man) should go about set a standard for choosing A wife (not a harem).

And you never hear anyone teach or preach on the first 9 verses.  It's always taught and preached on Mother's Day, beginning with the 10th verse as if this is a message for women.  This chapter is a message for men.

It's Lemuel's mother advising him (beginning with verse 1):

• Don't lead a sexually immoral life and don't allow your life to revolve around sex
  • Stay sober - one cannot rule under the influence of alcohol
  • Insist on justice and rule justly
  • Defend the poor and needy
  • Look for a wife who behaves as if she fears the Lord and follows his leadership

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  35
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Does it not you? What do you not agree with the OP?

An excellent and revealing question.  Thank you.

Proverbs 31 does not exemplify any of my personal activities, because fortunately I am not a woman.  It does document how I view all women compared to a superior Biblical standard.

Did you "read in between the lines" of my question to the OP, as if it were your business to do so, to think I might disagree with sone thing posted?

Tell me, should the OP writer walk her own talk, or not?

Edited by Benchley

• Followers:  53
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  4,064
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Days Won:  8

7 hours ago, Willa said:

The fact remains that many women have been victimized by physical and verbal abuse.  We live in a fallen world, and not all husbands leave the managing of the household to the wife but are consumed with controlling their wives and children instead of encouraging them to develop their talents and become contributors to society.  They want to keep wives "barefoot and pregnant."   I do not promote woman's lib because it has gone too far in the opposite direction and promotes female domination as well as lesbians.  When women are loved as Christ loves the church and gave Himself for her, we become the Proverbs 31 woman.  We are loved, appreciated and valued.  And when women treat their husbands with the respect of 1 Peter 3, admiring them, honoring and obeying, their husbands become judges at the gates.  :)

But I always say, give me a household of servants to manage and I will get up before dawn to work.  Meanwhile, give me 3 cups of coffee and I might be able to function by 10 AM.:047:

37 minutes ago, nebula said:

Well that would explain why this idealized woman is managing a large household with servants, purchases real estate, is a business manager, etc.!

These aspects about "her" always intimidated me. I could never be that! Savvy? Are you kidding me?

I don't know a thing about sewing. Sure, I could sew a button on, but I am sure it is not the "proper" way!

I can barely provide for myself, and I'm supposed to extend the wealth of my provision to others? OK, here's my two mites....

So, as you can see, I am really not a fan of this "Proverbs 31 woman." And I've heard from a lot of women who feel the same way.

So what can we do with this chapter that actually can apply to us women who are not in nobility nor have all these leadership talents and other such traits?

And what can we say about the message the mother was intending for her king son?

I think when reading this chapter you should take what you can out of it and apply it to your life it is not saying to do everything like this chapter describe. Because if you love the Lord and truly want to do right then you already are a virtuous woman

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  336
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  11/12/1953

43 minutes ago, nebula said:

Again, in context, this woman was the type of woman that the King's mother wanted for him but that doesn't mean that this is the type of woman that every Christian woman should be or even aspire to be. For a woman of her stature or position as a King's wife it would definitely be expected of and I'm sure it was expected of Diana when she married Charles and I'm sure it's expected of many women who marry into royalty but that does not mean that every woman has to be that type of woman. As Paul voice in his own epistle, we must learn to be content in whatever situation we find ourselves in.