• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,171
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

2 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

I am very fussy who teaches me the word of God. And I want that Pastor to teach me from the words in the Bible. I want a literal meaning to those words. I am not into tongues or the emergent Church. The Church that I want to experience is far and few between today. Churches are not what they used to be.

you would like the church I attend!

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  597
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,111
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

I grew up in a Church of Christ until I was about 18 and discovered things that the church taught that I simply didn't want anything to do with....   and after a year or so of being a rebellious sinner looked at just about every denomination there was around here including Mormons and JW's.

Not just studying thier doctrine, but actively getting involved with the church itself.....     Then got frustrated after about 20 years and just gave up on finding that "New Testament Church" for I really disagree with all that we attended in some way or another......   and from the hurt and disappointment of my original experience I am really particular about what a church teaches.  During this time I just threw everything i ever learned about the Bible in the trash and started all over....    After finding that I couldn't read nearly as long as I wanted at a time because of eye strain I got the Bible on cassettes and cd's and listened to the Bible many many times.

About 5 years ago a friend from a Nazarene Church that we had attended 20 years ago asked me if we could/would just come and worship with them knowing that we/I could/would not be able to actually formally join the church......    we decided to go largely because of the loving people who go there.....    we also found that the church had officially dropped a lot of the legalism they had 25 years ago....    while I can't become a member, we do attend and are active in the church itself.....   Most people don't realize that we are not members, and when they ask I just tell them it's not possible but would not want to do anything that might hurt their faith so we can't talk about it.....   they lovingly accept us within the congregation, and it lets me invite people there with no pressure of becoming members.....   we have friends who attend as do we without the formal membership....

So I don't really have any denomination that I could recommend to anyone, but any number of individual churches with good Christians at it's core should be good for anyone to attend and become involved.

Guest bonnieschamberger

This is a good question and thread.I was raised catholic but now attend a non denominational church.I love the history I have because I can look back and see where God used everything in my life.I love my non denom church but sometimes I will still also go to mass and take communion ..that was always my favorite part always found it to be beautiful.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

11 minutes ago, enoob57 said:

you would like the church I attend!

I am sure I would. And you are very grounded in the word of God so you know what a true Church in Christ looks like.  It is probably a very safe and God given Church. But there are not many of those Churches out there. I have been to some Churches that are :unsure:.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.81
  • Days Won:  44

16 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

I am very fussy who teaches me the word of God. And I want that Pastor to teach me from the words in the Bible. I want a literal meaning to those words. I am not into tongues or the emergent Church. The Church that I want to experience is far and few between today. Churches are not what they used to be.

Ah I see I can relate. While churches are not what they used to be they're still made of people. People will disappoint you every time. God will not. God has called us to live as a body... How can a thumb grow on it's own?

God bless,
GE

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,171
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

1 minute ago, GoldenEagle said:

Ah I see I can relate. While churches are not what they used to be they're still made of people. People will disappoint you every time. God will not. God has called us to live as a body... How can a thumb grow on it's own?

God bless,
GE

It's those guys with the masks on in the corner of a dimly light room with beady eyes and a petri dish :blink: 

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

33 minutes ago, enoob57 said:

It's those guys with the masks on in the corner of a dimly light room with beady eyes and a petri dish :blink: 

creepy-europe-ghost-church.jpg

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  597
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,111
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

37 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

creepy-europe-ghost-church.jpg

that would be one spooky church service.....    I saw something like this on several occasions while working late on a Saturday night.....   and you would not want to even know what they were doing.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  138
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

On 9/15/2016 at 1:33 PM, missmuffet said:

I am a non denominational born again "Christian". I attended the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod for 25 years. I did not grow as a Christian in that Church so I left.

Hi Missmuffett,

I found that to be true in the Lutheran church I was raised in.  I was not growing spiritually because every Sunday it seemed to be an exact carbon copy of every other Sunday.  It’s been like that my entire life and I just accepted it because it’s all I ever knew.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  138
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

On 9/15/2016 at 2:27 PM, Yowm said:

Started off in a Charismatic then Southern Baptist->Pentecostal->Non Denom->Reformed Baptist->Lutheran (LCMS>ELS)-> Reformed (Belgic)->non denom.

You can throw in a bit of Anglican (1923 BCP).

And my BC days was no Church at all, being raised under atheism.

Through it all our focus is to be on the Person of Jesus Christ and His Word.

Wow Yowm, you’ve pretty much run the gamut. :).  Nothing wrong with that tho’, it gives a person insight into the beliefs of others and helps us to discern truth from error.