• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I feel secure and sure that God has a very specific plan for me and that all my trials and tribulations are for a very, very, very good reason.

Actually good reasons...

Hey, that's great!

However, I do have a concern. Please understand this is based on experience - bad experiences.

I followed the authority of someone who was sick and tired of the church and led a group of us into a "new and better" church, which we started as an in-home church.

It became uncovered in painful ways that this one whom we regarded as our authority had fallen victim to pride (self-exaltation - being above the rest of the Christian body - having a call of God that will fulfill End Times prophecy - stuff like that).

Another time I followed the authority of someone who was seriously following God for only about 3-4 few years. Again, through painful circumstances, it became uncovered how the "youngness" of his faith meant he had not the time for spiritual maturity to have been developed and tried and tested.

I share this out of concern. Please guard yourself against thinking of yourself above others and of other visions of grandeur. It's a common trick for Satan to pull on believers, and it is so deceptive. We all are susceptible. One of the reasons we need accountability over us from mature believers is to watch our backs from getting blind-struck with pride.

Make sense? Please be careful.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,065
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/03/1958

I feel secure and sure that God has a very specific plan for me and that all my trials and tribulations are for a very, very, very good reason.

Actually good reasons...

Hey, that's great!

However, I do have a concern. Please understand this is based on experience - bad experiences.

I followed the authority of someone who was sick and tired of the church and led a group of us into a "new and better" church, which we started as an in-home church.

It became uncovered in painful ways that this one whom we regarded as our authority had fallen victim to pride (self-exaltation - being above the rest of the Christian body - having a call of God that will fulfill End Times prophecy - stuff like that).

Another time I followed the authority of someone who was seriously following God for only about 3-4 few years. Again, through painful circumstances, it became uncovered how the "youngness" of his faith meant he had not the time for spiritual maturity to have been developed and tried and tested.

I share this out of concern. Please guard yourself against thinking of yourself above others and of other visions of grandeur. It's a common trick for Satan to pull on believers, and it is so deceptive. We all are susceptible. One of the reasons we need accountability over us from mature believers is to watch our backs from getting blind-struck with pride.

Make sense? Please be careful.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Vey good advice Neb!

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,200
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Deut, these boards are not a replacement for a church or the people there, but I personally have found more fellowship here than an most of the churches I have attended. I know I spend much more time here and in the word than I did at any church. I have learned a lot about myself in the past year or so here and made many decisions of what and why I believe. I think the main thing I've gotten from Worthy is why I believe, and that is important.

Sam

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  52
  • Content Count:  2,230
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Birthday:  05/03/1952

Hi Duet,

Just finished reading the thread. Much good in the posts thus far. Just a couple bits of advise that I hope helps.

1. Jesus will never, ever let you down, other people including christians will and do.

2. The bible will never ever lead you astray, the advise of people will and very often does.

Examine everything you read here in the light of the Bible and don't forget to ask the Holy Spirit to lead you and guide you in the truth.

Joh 16:13  Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, [that] shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
The Lord bless you and keep you.

LT

Guest angelicvoice

i think you have to find a church that you feel comfortable with.....

and one that is bible beleiving!!

pray and God will help you establish yourself in a good church....

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kreatha1950
Deut -

I can so appreciate how you feel!

I am suffering from church burn-out something fierce!

So, I'm the last person to be saying, "You need to find fellowship."

that being siad, I am concerned with you being young in the faith and on your own.

After all, the LORD meant for us to be in fellowship with other believers - we need each other to keep each other accountable, to help each other grow, to encourage one another, etc., etc.

I know, I know - you're not finding that in the church you went to.

Same here.

"Church" is not what I'm pushing.

It's just that we all need a spiritual authority to cover our heads.

So, can you ask the Lord for such a spiritual authority over your life - someone you can trust, who is bearing fruit of righteousness?  Traditional church or not, you need something, you know?

May the LORD grant fruit-bearing believers in Jesus to your life!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  228
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

In regard to the original post. I'm not into church hopping but you might try some different churches. Be aware, though, that no church is perfect. I've been in the same one since I was saved in 1996. There were times I was disgusted with some of the people or situations but God has given me a great love for my church family. I know many of their faults but love them anyway. I've got plenty of faults myself. But, if a church had a huge amount of people who are giving the church a bad name and nobody is doing anything about it, I would consider going elsewhere. The devil would like to keep you completely out of church because of the "Hypocrites" so be careful. Don't be too hard on people.

Edited by Annette443pink

Guest Bro Davidâ„¢
In regard to the original post.  I'm not into church hopping but you might try some different churches.  Be aware, though, that no church is perfect.  I've been in the same one since I was saved in 1996.  There were times I was disgusted with some of the people or situations but God has given me a great love for my church family.  I know many of their faults but love them anyway.  I've got plenty of faults myself.  But, if a church had a huge amount of people who are giving the church a bad name and nobody is doing anything about it, I would consider going elsewhere.  The devil would like to keep you completely out of church because of the "Hypocrites" so be careful.  Don't be too hard on people.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with Annette.

If something is goin on in the church and pretty much nothin is being done about it then, go figure we have a problem.

Not church hoping but find yourself another permanent abode and fellowship.

Mean time like what Dr Luke said hang around here enjoy our fellowship and our friendly squabbles and wait for God's leading to where and when.

God Bless You !

Guest Enchiridion

Yeah, churches would be great if only they weren't filled with so many, well, sinners!

:blink::whistling:

Church does serve a dual purpose; an opportunity to worship God and an opportunity to have fellowship with His flock.

The interesting thing about sheep is that if one is pointed in the wrong direction, being amongst the flock will eventually get the sheep turned in the right direction. If the sheep is separated from the flock the chance to go permanently astray is huge. So isn't it good that all those bad people in your congregation are amongst the flock? The likelihood that they'll eventually get pointed in the right direction is huge, but if they are apart from the flock they'll never get turned around.

Stop basing your opinion of church on the people who attend and start basing it on God's love for those people. Consider the OT patriarchs; drunks (Noah) liars, adulterers, (Abraham) inattentive fathers, (Isaac) thieves, polygamists, (Jacob) slave traders, (Rueben) murderers, (Sons of Jacob, Moses) abusers of power to falsely imprison innocent people, (Joseph) spies (Caleb, Joshua). I could go on, but I think you'll see my point. God uses all sorts of people for His holy purposes, and it really isn't our place to do anything but follow Him and encourage our brothers and sisters to do likewise.

LK 18:9 To some who were confident of their own righteousness and looked down on everybody else, Jesus told this parable: 10 "Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee stood up and prayed about himself: `God, I thank you that I am not like other men--robbers, evildoers, adulterers--or even like this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.'

LK 18:13 "But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, `God, have mercy on me, a sinner.'

LK 18:14 "I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted."

Have a blessed day,

Enchiridion

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Content Count:  5,850
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/11/1911

prepare yourself

There will be people in heaven that you wouldn't have expected to find there. :taped:

Thank God for His mercy and grace. You'll probably even see me there. :whistling:

I agree with the shop around approach. It took my family 2 years to find a church that fed us sufficient spiritual food. I'm glad we shopped around though, because in doing so we discovered areas that needed extra prayer in the community

I love you guys :blink:

:P