• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

On 10/12/2016 at 4:47 PM, Out of the Shadows said:

Your feelings are a part of everything you do.  You cannot separate them from your decisions anymore than you can separate breathing from being alive.

But our feelings can lie to us.  We need to listen to the Holy Spirit,  You will know the difference.

Guest shiloh357
6 minutes ago, GoldenEagle said:

I think this is one of the reasons so many people under 50 (Gen X, Millennials (Gen Y), and Gen Z) are not Believers. People want to raise their kids and help raise their grandkids the same way they were raised. While some principles and aspects may be the same, the vast majority of folks over 40 or 50 are out of touch with the newer generations. Younger generations are not going to react or think the same way. Their experiences are vastly different than their parents or grandparents generation.

I see that regarding methods and the same methods that worked when their parents were in the youth group don't work now.   But we still have to reach the kids with biblical principles and critical thinking skills.  There are ways to make these things relative.  And we need an apologetic that can  speak to the messages that kids are receiving  today from public schools as well as from society in general.  The Internet has changed everything and youth are exposed a lot more than their parents were exposed to before the Internet permeated society.   We really need to better about this than we have in the past due to the immense amount of information kids are getting exposed to.

I can remember when we had nothing but landline phones and VCRs.   I remember when the 1st Atari 2600 came on the market.  I remember when electric typewriters were considered the apex Rolls Royce of writing.    Now kids are bombarded with philosophies and images that the Church and their parents seem helpless to counter.   Kids spend more time online than they do with family and church activities combined.  

It's a different world where what you feel means more than what is real.  If you feel like woman, it doesn't matter if you were really born as a man, according to our culture.   If you feel black, even though you were born white, then you're black.    We live in a culture that feels that no one should ever be offended and where free speech is squashed in the name of "tolerance."   We live in a culture where truth is being abandoned and feelings or emotions are taking over.  We really need an answer to that, or we lose the kids to the world.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.81
  • Days Won:  44

19 minutes ago, Yowm said:

I was raised in atheism, unchurched etc. Principles  are not the key to reaching the youth. It takes a supernatural work of God, we can pray and tell them the Truth. Each generation's heart is bound in sin... techniques and psychological approaches and studies won't help, it takes the power of the Gospel.

I never said feelings are evil. They are a poor determinator when it comes to things spiritual.

I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say. And overall I agree with you. 

The message of the Gospel is the same. The method on how that is presented needs to change and adapt with this generation. Would you agree? 

Thanks for clarifying on feelings.  Do you, Shiloh, or Rusty believe that the OP should take into consideration the feelings of his kids when deciding which church to be a part of? 

Notice I listed feelings last. Yet they are a part of the decision making process.

God bless,

Ge

Guest shiloh357
8 minutes ago, GoldenEagle said:

Do you, Shiloh, or Rusty believe that the OP should take into consideration the feelings of his kids when deciding which church to be a part of? 

Notice I listed feelings last. Yet they are a part of the decision making process.

God bless,

Ge

I think by changing churches for his kid's sake is taking into account their feelings.  It would be miserable to be the only kid(s) in a church and no one there competent to minister to that person's needs.  So I think some consideration of kids feelings is good and necessary.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  726
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/30/1974

23 minutes ago, GoldenEagle said:

I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say. And overall I agree with you. 

The message of the Gospel is the same. The method on how that is presented needs to change and adapt with this generation. Would you agree? 

Thanks for clarifying on feelings.  Do you, Shiloh, or Rusty believe that the OP should take into consideration the feelings of his kids when deciding which church to be a part of? 

God bless,

Ge

I do think the message needs to be adapted to the audience.  That was one thing my son brought up.  Each Sunday our church takes communion and we have an elder give a little talk about it and pray.  He likes one particular elder because he speaks in a way that the kids can understand.  It's like the difference of King James versus NIV.  IT's the same message just the delivery is different.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings GE....

You made a good point about the kid's "feelings".....It's funny,I do go to 2 churches,one is Pentecostal & there are many kids ,they're great,they seem to enjoy the service just as much as the adults & they really Understand what they hear......Holy Spirit gives little ones,middle ones & old ones Wisdom * Understand as they Receive it.....we serve an Awesome God

Now the other church,which is non-denominational has a childrens Ministry ,they have different rooms for different age groups & they have their Bible lessons,service etc,,,,they all love it    Whenever I would bring my little grand daughter to church with me(age 3 at that time)she was not to crazy about the (as she would say LOUD church) but she wanted to visit Jesus-lol  I used to tell her she had to show the babies how to not cry & be good in church and she used to walk around to the little ones & say" Jesus is here,it's okay!!) She didn't really know what was going on there but when we would go to the other church in the kids classes she learned a lot,,,,,,,

To tell you the Truth,I believe that the children "feel" what the parent or guardian makes them feel ,,,lead by example firstly,if you are Filled with Joy they are too,you are clapping& praising,so are they......the fundamentals begin at home,from birth.....as they get older & start to understand more you take them by the hand & explain......Holy Spirit Will not only convict their little hearts but they too can Receive the Heart & Mind of Christ  AND will instruct the parents in guiding them   THe kids "feelings",nah,,,,,Mommy"I don't feel like going to church".....if Mommy loves to go to church they will love it too & w4hen they come to the age of reason they WILL RECEIVE,no doubt......God Loves His children!                               With love-in Christ,Kwik

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

I'm not sure what those little rug rats would have done out in the Sinai desert with Moses or going to the Temple when...there was no other Temple to go to...LOL

:24:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  216
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0

On 10/12/2016 at 5:47 PM, Out of the Shadows said:

Your feelings are a part of everything you do.  You cannot separate them from your decisions anymore than you can separate breathing from being alive.

Well, in the desert with Moses they'd probably do the same thing the adults did....complain. LOL "we're thirsty, we're hungry, we're sick of manna and want meat, ARE WE THERE YET, wow those people look to fierce". The more things change.....

Edited by Flsnookman

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.81
  • Days Won:  44

2 hours ago, Yowm said:

What do you mean by method?

For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.
(1Co 1:21)

How old are the 'kids'?

Method: a particular form of procedure for accomplishing or approaching something, especially a systematic or established one.

What do I mean by method? Well I guess 1 Corinthians 9 comes to mind.

1 Cor. 9: 19-23
19 For though I am free from all, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win more of them. 20 To the Jews I became as a Jew, in order to win Jews. To those under the law I became as one under the law (though not being myself under the law) that I might win those under the law. 21 To those outside the law I became as one outside the law (not being outside the law of God but under the law of Christ) that I might win those outside the law. 22 To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all people, that by all means I might save some. 23 I do it all for the sake of the Gospel, that I may share with them in its blessings.

It's like churches that are so out of touch they still have organ's playing music. Or they have people stand up who are visiting (sometimes for the first time) to introduce themselves. Or they pass around a tray for tithes and offerings. Or where a person has to dress a certain way to be welcomed in a church. People who drink alcohol or smoke cigarettes are to be shunned. These are all outdated methods of interacting with others, gathering in worship to God, and learning together from the Bible.

Preaching can also can be in very eloquent form. There can be phrasing and terminology used which can seem loquacious (wordy).

On the other hand, there can be language in a sermon that can be easy and to the point.

Same message different methodology. Does that clarify things for you? Or would you agree?

God bless,
GE

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.69
  • Days Won:  25

5 hours ago, shiloh357 said:

It's the fruit of our postmodern society.  Following your heart and trusting your feelings isn't really reliable.  But when a person doesn't believe in absolute truth, all they have left is how they feel.

Last night I asked my wife what she felt like for dinner, she told me she we feeling like some salmon.  I had a good feeling about that, so we went with it.  I felt that I wanted to try something different so I made up my own rub that I felt would go well with bacon, then I layed bacon over top the salmon as it cooked.  I also felt that a nice White Belgium Ale would go nicely with the fish dinner so that is what I did.

I trusted my feelings from start to finish and it all turned out ok.   But then again I do not believe there was an absolute truth about what I should eat for dinner.