• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  327
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Days Won:  0

On 11/22/2016 at 9:49 PM, Walter and Deborah said:

Is there anyone that keeps The Sabbath Day Holy, from Sunset on the 6th.Day/Friday until The ending of The 7th. Day at Sunset, If so being on one accord for that event to happen, We want to thank God for your Faith in doing just that as a start to perfection. Sabbaths

The true Sabbath is fulfilled in Christ, the 4th commandment at Exodus 20 is rest, well Christ said: "come unto me and I will give you rest" (Matthew 11:28), this is the true Sababth rest, when we rest (i.e. express faith) in Christ.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  790
  • Content Per Day:  0.25

There are some good reasons for keeping a weekly sabbath:

It's good for our bodies (we do still need to rest one day in seven!)

It's a reminder that God is in control, not us - and it holds us back from being 'workaholics' (which is a form of slavery).

It's a witness to the world of the true sabbath rest that we have in Christ.

Guest shiloh357
On 4/2/2017 at 8:25 PM, Walter and Deborah said:

Yes, I can understand of what you are saying to the above, I think in order to keep your salvation it is important to follow his steps, just as he have had his custom. 

We don't "keep" salvation.   Jesus keeps us.   And tying salvation to keeping the Sabbath day is false teaching.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,180
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

56 minutes ago, Deborah_ said:

There are some good reasons for keeping a weekly sabbath:

It's good for our bodies (we do still need to rest one day in seven!)

It's a reminder that God is in control, not us - and it holds us back from being 'workaholics' (which is a form of slavery).

It's a witness to the world of the true sabbath rest that we have in Christ.

It is a good thing to let the Scripture form the eternal truths that is within us

Romans 14:5 (KJV)

[5] One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.

[6] He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.

[7] For none of us liveth to himself, and no man dieth to himself.

[8] For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord's.

[9] For to this end Christ both died, and rose, and revived, that he might be Lord both of the dead and living.

[10] But why dost thou judge thy brother? or why dost thou set at nought thy brother? for we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ.

God's Word and directives should be enough answer here... Love, Steven

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  790
  • Content Per Day:  0.25

1 hour ago, Cobalt1959 said:

Explain to me how you, yourself, personally, "keep" the Sabbath.

I'm now retired, but when I was working I avoided doing anything connected with my job (professional reading, working-from-home, etc) on Sundays.

I don't do housework or shopping on Sundays. I arrange my week accordingly.

On Sundays I do things that I enjoy doing as far as possible: go to church, cook a good dinner (and lay the table nicely), in-depth Bible study, gardening, maybe go for a walk. I don't think there are any hard and fast 'rules', but I try to make it a day with a completely different 'flavour' to the rest of the week. 

• Well Said! 1

• Group:  Seventh Day Adventist
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  281
  • Content Per Day:  0.10

Dear brother & sister, Walter & Deborah

Yes we should follow our Lord & savior he was our example. We have an obligation to search for the truth & be obedient to it. Acts 5:23 & so the Holy Spirit is given to those that obey Him.   This doesn't mean others are not given the Holy Spirit, The Holy Spirit approaches all, that is how we accept Him through baptism, but not all accept Him.  To those that Surrender to his will & follow His commandments the Holy Spirit will be pored out more abundantly, wile others Christians may stagnate for years before moving forward in the spirit. 

It can be a fine line Christians walk between legalism & antinomianism the latter being more prevalent in Christianity today. As for the Sabbath you are asking the right questions, but believe you are getting the wrong answers.  Be careful you don't try to hold to the Sabbath in (your own strength). But Through God all things are possible.

Are the ten commandments still to be upheld or not? If they are, so is the Sabbath to be up held. This unfortunately seems to be an unsolved question that Christians are not unified on & it should be a foundational issue. Even non Sabbatarians Christians cannon agree on the issue of the commandments being binding.  Strangely though most who say they are still binding only want to follow 9 of them & substitute one for a day of man's preference. This is a complete contradiction no man can change Gods laws the ten commandments still stand or not. To validate their stance they have to quote scripture passages out of context as I have seen above. 

Can the New Covenant be changed?  yes or no? Can we add or delete anything from it?  after the death of Christ ratified with His blood, that is His signature Can a will be changed after the death of the testator NO Though greedy man has challenged wills. The new covenant cannot be changed to say we worship on Sunday in Honor of the resurrection is not binding, for it to be apart of the new covenant it would have to be introduced prior to Christ's death like communion & baptism.  Anything after His blood sacrifice cannot be added   The symbol for resurrection is Baptism Rom 6:4 not Sunday worship.

I'll not answer or get into discussion  with anyone on this topic it has been flogged. I'm over the scriptures being quoted so far out of context this was for brother & sister Walt & Deborah to think about & anyone else who is open to the truth.    

Guest shiloh357
24 minutes ago, Riccardo said:

Are the ten commandments still to be upheld or not? If they are, so is the Sabbath to be up held. This unfortunately seems to be an unsolved question that Christians are not unified on & it should be a foundational issue. Even non Sabbatarians Christians cannon agree on the issue of the commandments being binding.  Strangely though most who say they are still binding only want to follow 9 of them & substitute one for a day of man's preference. This is a complete contradiction no man can change Gods laws the ten commandments still stand or not. To validate their stance they have to quote scripture passages out of context as I have seen above. 

This is a fundamental error in your assessment of our position.  The Sabbath is unique among the 10 commandments in that it is the only commandment of the ten that is given only to Israel as a sign between God and Israel.  It is a covenantal  sign.   It is similar to a wedding ring as a sign of a marriage covenant.   None of the other 9 commandments serve that purpose.  The Sabbath is unique to the relationship of God to Israel.

The NT corollary to the Sabbath is not Sunday.   It's baptism.  Baptism is the sign of the New Covenant and Christians are commanded to be baptized.

Furthermore, we do not see God or Jesus as having "changed"  the Sabbath to Sunday.  There is only one Sabbath.  The fact is that we honor the Sabbath by recognizing that Jesus our Sabbath rest, ultimately.   Jesus is the personification of the Sabbath and He is greater than the Sabbath day.  

After Adam was created, he entered into God's rest on the seventh day.   When we are born again, we enter into God's rest through Jesus.  He is what the Sabbath is all about.   So, we do honor the 4th commandment when we enter into God's rest through Jesus Christ.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,180
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

The Spirit of God speaks this way to us through Paul the apostle

[5] One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.

That persuasion is to be from God to individual however the spirit of your post seems to be of other (?)
A good treatise of the matter
https://www.gotquestions.org/Sabbath-keeping.html

Love, Steven

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  711
  • Content Per Day:  0.28

On 11/22/2016 at 4:49 PM, Walter and Deborah said:

Is there anyone that keeps The Sabbath Day Holy, from Sunset on the 6th.Day/Friday until The ending of The 7th. Day at Sunset, If so being on one accord for that event to happen, We want to thank God for your Faith in doing just that as a start to perfection. Sabbaths

I do.

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  711
  • Content Per Day:  0.28

1 hour ago, enoob57 said:

The Spirit of God speaks this way to us through Paul the apostle

That persuasion is to be from God to individual however  

[/quote]

That is a great quote - and as your quote indicates the word "alike" is added. It is not in the text.

It is a reference to the Bible-approved annual holy days of Leviticus 23. One man observes one above the others (presumably "and not the others") while another man observes all of them.

So that is fine for "Bible approved" days.

But in Galatians 4:6-11 Paul flatly condemns observing even one pagan day. So then if you look at the pagan calendars today - and start keeping one of the days they list - well then in Gal 4.. Paul says that is a problem.

Edited by BobRyan
Bible reference correction